PDA

View Full Version : Until When it is safe to use stroller Bassinet?

Lupe
01-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Hi,
I got my BJCS, with bassinet, for which I was really happy until I noticed something that didn't seem right. The Buy Buy Baby sales rep told me I could use the stroller from birth to 45 pounds, since I was getting the bassinet but...
The stroller seat can only be used from 6 months on, which means that the bassinet will have to hold the baby until then. It does have a 25 pound weight limit, but I heard it is not safe to have a baby in a bassinet once it can roll over (which may happen before 6 months right? sorry first time mom have no idea)
So until when it is safe to use a stroller bassinet?

It seems that there is a chance I will not have a stroller for a couple of months, am I right? If so this is a major flaw of the BJCS, or at least a major lie from the sales rep. I live in the city and was planning to use my stroller from early on, should I return it and get a Vista? (and go strangle the Buy Buy Baby sales rep :rotflmao:)

thanks for your help!!
Lucia

♥ms.pacman♥
01-02-2011, 08:31 PM
i know, that whole can't-use-the stroller-seat-until-6mos confused the heck out of me when i was researching these strollers (i also was looking at the BJCS and the VIsta in addtion to the B-ready). it made no sense and one buybuybaby rep told me they just say that to cover themselves from any liability i guess, and that they knew a lot of ppl who used the main seat with babies younger than 6mos. in the case of my son, there was no way in heck i could have kept my son in a bassinet until 6mos...he was already sitting up by then, was rolling over, etc. he was too large for a bassinet at 2mos even.

i don't know, i'm no expert but i personally see no reason why a baby, once they outgrow the bassinet can't sit in the stroller seat of these types of strollers, as long as it's reclined properly and the harness is tight enough. i know on the Vista the seat reclines pretty far..i think on the BJCS it reclines completely flat. also, at least for the Vista i think they do sell inserts to be used on the seat for smaller babies.

roseyloxs
01-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Interesting point. I wouldn't be too worried about it since you would be able to see the baby in the bassinet. I would be worried about what to do if your baby turns out to not like the bassinet.

Lupe
01-02-2011, 08:43 PM
Well the BJCS seat can recline fully in both forward and backward positions, so maybe the 6 months thing is just a liability issue.
I just wonder why Baby Jogger says 6 months on the website and Uppababy says on their website that the stroller seat can be used from 3 months, why is Uppababy not worried about liability?
what is the difference with the seat? Is the Vista seat much more supportive?

Ms Pacman which stroller did you get? did you get the bassinet as well?

edurnemk
01-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Hi,
but I heard it is not safe to have a baby in a bassinet once it can roll over (which may happen before 6 months right? sorry first time mom have no idea)
So until when it is safe to use a stroller bassinet?

I think this would only be an issue if your baby was left unattended in the bassinet. The age at which they roll over varies a TON, DS was a little lazier than most and rolled over at 4-5 months. We used the bassinet until much later, not on a daily basis, but for example if we went out for dinner at a restaurant or friends' houses we´d take the bassinet for DS to sleep in (well into the 10 months range - he didn't have that much room but it worked.)

IMO if the seat reclines it should be safe to use from 3 months, I don't know why baby jogger says 6 (UB, Bugaboo, etc. have similar seats and say 3 months).

♥ms.pacman♥
01-02-2011, 10:10 PM
i ended up getting the Vista. i really liked the push of it, plus the way it steered.

as for the bassinet, i guess it really varies by baby. my DS could not be in a bassinet past 6 weeks. He got really big really fast, plus he did NOT like to lay down flat, even for naps.

MamaBear
01-03-2011, 02:26 AM
as for the bassinet, i guess it really varies by baby. my DS could not be in a bassinet past 6 weeks. He got really big really fast, plus he did NOT like to lay down flat, even for naps.

:yeahthat:

My first we moved to the seat of the Cam at 3 months. My second, he was happy as could be in the bassinet, and we switched him to the seat at 6 months simply because we were travelling for 6 weeks and expected him to outgrow the bassinet before we got home. (Plus, it gave me a nice excuse to get a Bee+ :wink2: )

Lupe
01-03-2011, 10:03 AM
So it sounds like at least "officially", If my baby for some reason outgrows or doesn't like the bassinet before 6 months I shouldn't use the stroller.
Besides, the buy, buy baby sales rep didn't tell me that BJCS has a new 2011 model out, which has a lot of improvements in the stroller seat, and the 2010s are all on sale!! I am so pissed off with Buy Buy Baby, we got the stroller just before Christmas.
I am thinking about returning the BJCS and getting an Uppababy Vista after all, and not from them!

AnnieW625
01-03-2011, 02:45 PM
I think I used ours until DD2 was about 3 mos. old. On our Vista I used the stroller seat at the full recline position when she was just 3 mos. old, and it worked out fine; she liked it a lot.