PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the BJCM 2011 updates

TwoBees
01-03-2011, 12:19 PM
I know the PE board is available for $ plus shipping on BJ's website, but are teh "sit up straps" available too? Can they even be retrofitted to a 2010 model? And any chance that BJ will provide a discount or waive shipping for these items (PE board and straps) for owners of a 2010? I feel like we just missed the boat (even though I love my BJCM, I would really like DD to sit more upright and the cardboard I am using isn't so great. I know I could buy or use something else, but I'd really like to have the BJ product).

artvandalay
01-03-2011, 12:29 PM
I know the PE board is available for $ plus shipping on BJ's website, but are teh "sit up straps" available too? Can they even be retrofitted to a 2010 model? And any chance that BJ will provide a discount or waive shipping for these items (PE board and straps) for owners of a 2010? I feel like we just missed the boat (even though I love my BJCM, I would really like DD to sit more upright and the cardboard I am using isn't so great. I know I could buy or use something else, but I'd really like to have the BJ product).

Baby Jogger CS is really good, and the last time I called I spoke to an acual live human being. Perhaps you can call and see if they are able to send you the straps and you could sew them on?

TwoBees
01-05-2011, 09:36 AM
Baby Jogger CS is really good, and the last time I called I spoke to an acual live human being. Perhaps you can call and see if they are able to send you the straps and you could sew them on?

I called and unfortunately they said there is no way to retrofit a 2010 with the sit up straps.

Has anyone found the PE board at a mass retailer (BRU/BBB or online)? I would like to get it but shipping is nearly the cost of the board and that bugs me.

blondflava
01-05-2011, 09:54 AM
About the 'sit up' straps, I just received the 2011 BJCM yesterday (didn't have a chance to try it with the baby) but played with it a little and the PE board makes a lot of difference, I can squeeze the recline strap all the way up to the point where the straps would not even bring more than 0.5-1 inch more upright, I think it'll be enough for DD. The seat (bottom) part is still a little hammocky though, hope that will not bother her.
I need to go and rearrange my trunk! And vacuum it and put a blanket down before I attempt to get out with it :bag
:hysterical:

poohbear
01-05-2011, 11:41 AM
I have put a 2011 next to a 2010 and I can say that the 2011 definitely sits more upright (and I have a home-made board in my 2010) - that's even without the upright straps velcroed. I tried to take pics but they didn't really come out, since both mine and my friends are both black and you couldn't really show the angle. I don't know why it is. That said, a board does make a big difference.
http://www.countrymoosekids.com/catalog/item/5056785/7678408.htm sells the pe boards for $12 shipped. (I made my own out of cardboard, but I'd say the pe board is definitely firmer).

I know you can buy the new seat fabrics that have the upright straps, but I think they're expensive - upwards of $100 so it's probably cost prohibitive to do so...

HTH

TwoBees
01-05-2011, 11:49 AM
I know you can buy the new seat fabrics that have the upright straps, but I think they're expensive - upwards of $100 so it's probably cost prohibitive to do so...

HTH

Do I buy those directly from BJ? I looked on their website and didn't see any, but I might be interested depending on the cost.

Thanks for the info about country moose kids.

poohbear
01-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Do I buy those directly from BJ? I looked on their website and didn't see any, but I might be interested depending on the cost.

Thanks for the info about country moose kids.

You can call baby jogger directly and ask them about purchasing the 2011 seat fabrics (tell them you would want the more upright seat for your earlier model). You wouldn't need the canopy unless you wanted a totally different colored stroller. The new seat may come with the pe board, so I would ask that as well. (the frames are the same, so you would just remove your old seat and put on the new one - maybe you could even sell your old skins)
Then let us know how much it is ;)

TwoBees
01-05-2011, 12:33 PM
You can call baby jogger directly and ask them about purchasing the 2011 seat fabrics (tell them you would want the more upright seat for your earlier model). You wouldn't need the canopy unless you wanted a totally different colored stroller. The new seat may come with the pe board, so I would ask that as well. (the frames are the same, so you would just remove your old seat and put on the new one - maybe you could even sell your old skins)
Then let us know how much it is ;)

And the answer is...
Yes! The seat fabric for the city mini single does include the sit up straps and is $66 plus shipping. The PE board must be purchased separately.

I actually think that's quite reasonable. I mean, I'd love a discount on top of that (who wouldn't), but I think it's a fair price for what it is. I just don't need new seat fabric.

TwoBees
01-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Bumping. Does anyone here have a 2011 and would be willing to take photos of the straps--what they look like, where they are located, and how they attach? I'm wondering if I can fashion them myself somehow.

blondflava
01-05-2011, 08:43 PM
I have one and can take the pix for you tomorrow morning, they should be fairly easy to make yourself anyway! I used to have a Buggster and it was even more reclined and made my own upright strap out of a harness buckle.

poohbear
01-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Bumping. Does anyone here have a 2011 and would be willing to take photos of the straps--what they look like, where they are located, and how they attach? I'm wondering if I can fashion them myself somehow.

Because my friend's 2011 is black and the straps are black, it's difficult to see. I think if someone has a lighter color. What's interesting is that her seat sits more upright even WITHOUT the straps in use. (in other words without the straps even velcroed together, her seat sits more upright)...
That said, the straps were executed differently than I would have guessed. I would have pulled the fabric together from the sides (if this makes sense)...

BTW - $65 is less than I would have guessed, but then you have to add $12 for the PE board. I would try the board (or any board - either from cardboard, or if you want something more firm, a 3 ring binder will work - just remove the binding) first, even before trying to make upright straps...

TwoBees
01-05-2011, 09:41 PM
I have one and can take the pix for you tomorrow morning, they should be fairly easy to make yourself anyway! I used to have a Buggster and it was even more reclined and made my own upright strap out of a harness buckle.

That would be wonderful, thanks.

Because my friend's 2011 is black and the straps are black, it's difficult to see. I think if someone has a lighter color. What's interesting is that her seat sits more upright even WITHOUT the straps in use. (in other words without the straps even velcroed together, her seat sits more upright)...
That said, the straps were executed differently than I would have guessed. I would have pulled the fabric together from the sides (if this makes sense)...

BTW - $65 is less than I would have guessed, but then you have to add $12 for the PE board. I would try the board (or any board - either from cardboard, or if you want something more firm, a 3 ring binder will work - just remove the binding) first, even before trying to make upright straps...

I've had some cardboard back there for a while but it isn't doing as great of a job as I had hoped. I'm tempted to try a cutting board from the kitchen...

blondflava
01-05-2011, 10:47 PM
A cutting board might be a little heavy? How about a binder cover? They're light but pretty sturdy, I think.

Neelloc
01-06-2011, 12:36 PM
And the answer is...
Yes! The seat fabric for the city mini single does include the sit up straps and is $66 plus shipping. The PE board must be purchased separately.

I actually think that's quite reasonable. I mean, I'd love a discount on top of that (who wouldn't), but I think it's a fair price for what it is. I just don't need new seat fabric.

When you called BJ about the seat fabric, did the price they give you include the hood as well, or just the seat?

I am buying a 2011 BJCM, and I REALLY wanted the purple, but can't wait til it comes out later this spring for it. I need the stroller now. I was thinking if the cost worked, I could buy the new seat/hood and switch it out.

rr229
01-06-2011, 02:33 PM
How does the PE board work with the double? Do you buy 2 separate ones? I am planning on using the stroller for a toddler and a newborn with the car seat adaptor, so I am not sure what to do with the PE board. Thanks.

poohbear
01-06-2011, 03:02 PM
When you called BJ about the seat fabric, did the price they give you include the hood as well, or just the seat?

I am buying a 2011 BJCM, and I REALLY wanted the purple, but can't wait til it comes out later this spring for it. I need the stroller now. I was thinking if the cost worked, I could buy the new seat/hood and switch it out.

I think that is just the seat - I believe the hood is about $40...
I am pretty sure purple comes out in February - you may want to call Baby Jogger directly to ask. If you're planning to buy new skins, your best bet is to buy one of the closeout 2010s, since you don't need the features of the 2011s and the frame is the same. Unless you plan on trying to sell the 2011 skins...

How does the PE board work with the double? Do you buy 2 separate ones? I am planning on using the stroller for a toddler and a newborn with the car seat adaptor, so I am not sure what to do with the PE board. Thanks.

You would have to buy 2 PE boards for a double. They are removable. They don't make the seat that firm, it is just less hammocky. My toddler really doesn't mind either way.

I would imagine you could use a very thin cutting board. Like one of the ikea ones... I would try a binder first... the PE board is definitely firmer than the corrugated cardboard I used in mine...

Neelloc
01-06-2011, 03:19 PM
I am pretty sure purple comes out in February - you may want to call Baby Jogger directly to ask. If you're planning to buy new skins, your best bet is to buy one of the closeout 2010s, since you don't need the features of the 2011s and the frame is the same. Unless you plan on trying to sell the 2011 skins....

I called BJ last week and they had told me that the Purple will start shipping to retailers sometime in March. They couldn't give an exact date.

poohbear
01-06-2011, 08:29 PM
I called BJ last week and they had told me that the Purple will start shipping to retailers sometime in March. They couldn't give an exact date.

Gotcha, well in that case, you could do something like this for $170ish:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Baby-Jogger-City-Mini-Single-Stroller-87105-/170586200102?pt=Strollers&hash=item27b7bad826#ht_3015wt_905

and then buy the skins later. The frame for the 2010 is the same as the 2011. Or you could buy a new 2011 and then sell it and rebuy a purple 2011.
Or just get your second fave color ;)

TwoBees
01-07-2011, 09:32 AM

I only asked about the seat and they didn't specify, so I am assuming the price was just for the seat.

Was anyone able to get a good photo pf the straps?

poohbear
01-07-2011, 12:52 PM
I only asked about the seat and they didn't specify, so I am assuming the price was just for the seat.

Was anyone able to get a good photo pf the straps?

I checked the pictures I took again, but you really can't see them because the stroller is black. I feel like someone posted a pic on car-seat.org on a lighter color, I will check.

They are across the back of the stroller, horizontal to the canopy, above the recline strap.

ETA - Here - hopefully you can see this: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=143284&highlight=baby+jogger+city+mini
post #18 shows the upright straps. You may have to register to see the pics....

TwoBees
01-07-2011, 01:19 PM
I checked the pictures I took again, but you really can't see them because the stroller is black. I feel like someone posted a pic on car-seat.org on a lighter color, I will check.

They are across the back of the stroller, horizontal to the canopy, above the recline strap.

ETA - Here - hopefully you can see this: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=143284&highlight=baby+jogger+city+mini
post #18 shows the upright straps. You may have to register to see the pics....

Thank you poohbear! That helped a lot. I think I can make something myself. Actually, I might already have something at home that might work.