PDA

View Full Version : Let down by my Baby Jogger Summit XC Double! Other options?

Mrs.Christie
01-03-2011, 05:15 PM
My BR Queen B has a tire that needs to be repaired and so despite having only DD I decided to try out the BJ summit xc duo that I ordered a few months ago. I noticed right away that the suspension on the summit is much stiffer than the queen b, but it didn't seem to be much of an issue on the sidewalk. Once I got to the gravel trail it was another story.

I swear I felt every little piece of gravel. Not only that but the stroller made a fair amount of noise. DD was asleep at this point, but I thought for sure the bumpy ride and noise would wake her up. It has been several months since I've been on the trail, so maybe I'm just not remembering, but I'm quite certain that the queen b performs much better.

The tires on the queen are fatter and the suspension is totally different. Practically no force is required for the suspension to engage if that makes sense. It glides over everything without any effort. The only time it felt bumpy was going over large rocks, tree roots and holes in the ground.

I just can't believe the queen b would perform that much better. The summit is billed as a major all terrain stroller while the queen b is just a fancy pants pram. I am so let down! I ordered the summit due to the great price and awsome BJ features, but none of that matters is I'm stuck with a poor performing all- terrain. I also purchased a BJ city mini double and frankly I feel that the summit only performs slightly better on gravel.

So now I'm stuck with the summit and I don't know what to think. Is the queen b that superior or is the summit that bad? How does the summit compare push-wise to other all terrain doubles? Between the
money I'd lose selling the summit and the amount I'd have to spend to get something else, I'm just not sure I can afford it. But in any case, does anyone know how mountain buggy doubles, Bob doubles and bumbleride doubles compare push-wise on rough terrain. And this is a long shot, but maybe someone knows how those compare to the queen b. Perhaps I'm just spoiled by the wonderful push it has.

Thanks in advance for your help and sorry for the typos. I'm on my phone.

jacksmoma
01-03-2011, 05:23 PM
oh no. i do agree that suspension or shocks (ahh love my bob!) make alllll the difference- i have had a few air tire strollers that while having air tires are still make for a rough ride imo...ex: bumbleride indie twin and bjced. my bob has shocks that give this really really bouncy ride like nothing else. that's also what makes it great to jog with vs. just plain old air tires and suspension. sorry to hear the xc isn't working out...sounds like you should CL your summit and get a bob duallie and just count your losses if push is really important to you. PS that was a long post to do on a phone!! :)

Mrs.Christie
01-03-2011, 05:34 PM
would you say the bob glides over gravel? How about through a grassy field?

oh no. i do agree that suspension or shocks (ahh love my bob!) make alllll the difference- i have had a few air tire strollers that while having air tires are still make for a rough ride imo...ex: bumbleride indie twin and bjced. my bob has shocks that give this really really bouncy ride like nothing else. that's also what makes it great to jog with vs. just plain old air tires and suspension. sorry to hear the xc isn't working out...sounds like you should CL your summit and get a bob duallie and just count your losses if push is really important to you. PS that was a long post to do on a phone!! :)

arivecchi
01-03-2011, 05:50 PM
I used to have a BJCCD and now have a Duo. There is a big difference in push and suspension. I think the problem with BJs is that the tires are so narrow and the frames are not as sturdy as other brands so they don't absorb as much movement. I am surprised to hear that the Summit does not push well in gravel though. You would think it would have been built for that kind of terrain.

Mrs.Christie
01-03-2011, 08:34 PM
So I decided to go back out to the trail with the bumbleride queen b to see if it really pushes any better. Well, wonky wheel and all it still outperformed the summit. I still felt some bumps while on the gravel trail, but it was a much smoother push. Also, there was no noise from the frame unlike the summit. The only sound I heard while pushing the queen b was the gravel being crushed.

I'm pretty sure I'll be getting rid of the summit, I just have to decide what to replace it with. The Bob is at the top of my list, but I need to know that it will handle gravel and rough terrain better than the summit.

goldenpig
01-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Too bad you didn't like the Summit! I also had/have the BJCMD and Mountain Buggy Duo and did a comparison recently...you can search for my post. The Duo has fatter tires than the Summit. It also has a bouncier suspension so you might like that better. To me the BJSXD was a lot better on our neighborhood roads/gravel trail than the BJCMD. You could probably get your money back on CL or strollerswap if you bought it on the diapers.com sale. I haven't tried the BOBs but they are popular.

Also, maybe you should call Baby Jogger or diapers. Maybe you got a bum stroller...you could tell them about your suspension and noise problems. I don't notice any squeaking or rattling when I push mine.

jacksmoma
01-03-2011, 10:12 PM
to answer your bob question, YES, it handles gravel grass whatever like it's not there. really you will be shocked pushing the bj summit then the bob...no comparison. while baby joggers are loaded with great features they really lack on the push (air tire bjs that is!)...i've had a bjccd and bjced and the bob is completely in a diff class of push. i've heard the mb come close to bob too. just sell the bj and get a bob duallie, they are really cheap on sale right now thru amazon to get ready for the next model..... :)

strollerqueen
01-04-2011, 02:25 AM
Too bad you didn't like the Summit! I also had/have the BJCMD and Mountain Buggy Duo and did a comparison recently...you can search for my post. The Duo has fatter tires than the Summit. It also has a bouncier suspension so you might like that better. To me the BJSXD was a lot better on our neighborhood roads/gravel trail than the BJCMD. You could probably get your money back on CL or strollerswap if you bought it on the diapers.com sale. I haven't tried the BOBs but they are popular.

Also, maybe you should call Baby Jogger or diapers. Maybe you got a bum stroller...you could tell them about your suspension and noise problems. I don't notice any squeaking or rattling when I push mine.

OT, but, your avatar is SO STINKIN' ADORABLE!!!!! I miss having a little girl to dress like that! :love-retry:

strollerqueen
01-04-2011, 02:30 AM
So I decided to go back out to the trail with the bumbleride queen b to see if it really pushes any better. Well, wonky wheel and all it still outperformed the summit. I still felt some bumps while on the gravel trail, but it was a much smoother push. Also, there was no noise from the frame unlike the summit. The only sound I heard while pushing the queen b was the gravel being crushed.

I'm pretty sure I'll be getting rid of the summit, I just have to decide what to replace it with. The Bob is at the top of my list, but I need to know that it will handle gravel and rough terrain better than the summit.

Lately I've been using a Joovy Cocoon X2. So far I am LOVING it! I need to drag out my MB Double and compare the two. One thing that makes the Cocoon so easy to push is that it has all air tires, all four. And the rear are 20". ( The push on the MB Terrain is also amazing, but that is a single. Love those 16" rear wheels!) The drawback of the Cocoon is that the seats don't recline, so not good for little babies, or napping. And I haven't got the hang of the fold yet, but DH swears it is easy :p.

goldenpig
01-04-2011, 03:49 AM
OT, but, your avatar is SO STINKIN' ADORABLE!!!!!
Aw, thanks! DD loves her new warm winter coat...it even comes with a teddy bear and purse/muff to hang around her neck. I want one for myself!

I miss having a little girl to dress like that! :love-retry:
Well, you could always have another kid...:loveeyes: (otherwise your kids could grow out of strollers altogether and then what would you do! :eek:) But I know what you mean about dressing girls...I've contemplated trying for another girl just so I could reuse DD's cute clothes again! :D

roseyloxs
01-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Do you know about returnsforsale.com? They have a queen bee toddler seat in the bawana fabric for super cheap, like $10 bucks or something. It's in the accessories section.

roseyloxs
01-04-2011, 02:17 PM
Correction the toddler seat is $5 today. Totally worth it even if you buy a sbs.

Mrs.Christie
01-04-2011, 03:45 PM
I actually do have the matching toddler seat that I purhased along with the stroller. Unfortunately it won't be quite as useful as I had hoped as it doesn't have a canopy and dd does not like the sun in her face. We will probably get some use out of it for a little while, but I'm going to need a true all terrain double. $5 is an awsome price though! I spent $50 because I HAD to have it match my ruby stroller.

Do you know about returnsforsale.com? They have a queen bee toddler seat in the bawana fabric for super cheap, like $10 bucks or something. It's in the accessories section.

roseyloxs
01-04-2011, 08:35 PM
I think a sbs will still be useful in your case but I wonder if a parasol or a nice floppy hat could solve your sun issues.