PDA

View Full Version : Car seat LATCH safety driving me nuts

sunnyside
01-03-2011, 06:49 PM
We have two subarus. The LATCH is only on the outboard seats. I wanted babes in the middle, so we have the seats that way in both cars (Chicco Keyfit). But with the seat belt, the seat is way less tight than using the LATCH. We are using the seat belt ANYWAY because people say you can't use LATCH in the middle. But everything also says that it is safer to have the seat TIGHT.

So I have been adamant that we use the seat belt because you can't use LATCH in the middle, but it is so obviously looser than using LATCH. My baby's father thinks it is better to use LATCH in the middle. He says that it is just for liability reasons that the manufacturers of both the seat and the car wont say to use LATCH.

THey are Subaru Outback LLBean editions. One is 2001 Wagon and the other is 2002 Sedan.

He thinks that it is clear that we should use LATCH. And he cites one of his reasons being that all car manufacturers are being required to put LATCH in their cars. I said they are requiring it because it is easier to use and therefore more people will install the seats correctly.

I don't really care who is wrong or right, since I'm not really convinced. I just want the baby to be safe and in the middle.

WHERE ON EARTH can someone find out what is the correct answer? Thanks!

o_mom
01-03-2011, 06:52 PM
I'll reply here as well:

The best thing would be to go to http://www.seatcheck.org/ and find a CPST near you that can teach you and the baby's father how to install and use your seat properly.

You are correct that you cannot use LATCH in the center unless the vehicle manufacturer allows it. The reason is that many times the set of LATCH anchors is really one piece that is bolted in the middle between the anchors. So, it looks something like this: L_____L L______L where the L's are the anchors. You see how the two in the center are not connected? In a crash the unbalanced force on each set could cause them to fail.

The safest place for the seat is the center IF you can get an acceptable install with the seatbelt. This does not mean it has to be 'rock solid' or even as tight as the outboard LATCH install, just that the seat is properly installed and moves less than one inch at the beltpath. The built-in lockoff on that seat usually makes it fairly easy to install, but Subarus are notorious for being difficult, which is why I would suggest finding a CPST near you.

If you cannot get an acceptable install in the center, then a proper install outboard is safer.

sunnyside
01-03-2011, 07:48 PM
Thank you! It makes total sense, but I called Subaru and they said the LATCHes are welded independently to the frame of the car. So while it makes sense, Subaru says they aren't made that way.

I'm definitely going to find a CPST. But even so, DD's dad believes the rules are there because neither the seat manufacturers or car manufacturers want the liability and that they are wrong and that the middle is safer with LATCH. I'm not finding much to show that he isn't right. But also not finding much definitive information either.

It is crazy making to me. I want to do the safest thing.

o_mom
01-03-2011, 07:56 PM
It depends on the manufacturer how they are built. VW, for example makes them the way I showed above (I actually saw them in my CPST course and in DH's Passat). The other part that hasn't been mentioned is the spacing. LATCH has a standard spacing and many center spots are not spaced the same as the standard.

Could it be just liability? Sure. However, there is an easy alternative with the seatbelt (really, that seat should be fairly easy to get to move less than one inch), so why risk it? If he really wants to use LATCH, then use it outboard. While it is safER to use the center, a rear-facing seat properly installed and used outboard is still very, very safe.

sunnyside
01-03-2011, 08:21 PM
It depends on the manufacturer how they are built. VW, for example makes them the way I showed above (I actually saw them in my CPST course and in DH's Passat). The other part that hasn't been mentioned is the spacing. LATCH has a standard spacing and many center spots are not spaced the same as the standard.

Could it be just liability? Sure. However, there is an easy alternative with the seatbelt (really, that seat should be fairly easy to get to move less than one inch), so why risk it? If he really wants to use LATCH, then use it outboard. While it is safER to use the center, a rear-facing seat properly installed and used outboard is still very, very safe.

That makes sense to me. I want to use seat belts in the center but this issue is being used to show that Im inflexible and have to have my way. It sucks that to ensure my baby's safety, I have to be painted as inflexible and stubborn.

OKKiddo
01-04-2011, 12:26 PM
That makes sense to me. I want to use seat belts in the center but this issue is being used to show that Im inflexible and have to have my way. It sucks that to ensure my baby's safety, I have to be painted as inflexible and stubborn.

Ever watch a mother protect her young in the wild on videos? There's a reason that we have a steel core as mom's. :) Be the mother grizzly that you need to be when you need to be it...flexibility has it's time and place and car seat safety is not one of them. If he pushes the issue tell him that he can see your flexibility in the bedroom instead. ;)

HIU8
01-04-2011, 12:44 PM
My father has a 2005 legacy outback. I can only do a seat outboard. The center has this wonky piece that actually sits above the seat (so it's like a little hump in the center). So, no matter how tight I have gotten the belt, the seat ALWAYS MOVES and the base is never fully on the seat b/c of the hump (don't know if that is also part of the issue you are having). Outboard with LATCH works just fine (it's a much easier install and the LATCH anchors are easy to reach).

sunnyside
01-07-2011, 04:06 AM
Thank you all so much.

We tightened it down again with the seatbelt and it is in there nice and tight. We're going to take it to the Tech early next week and talk about it. It's nice to get support here. I really appreciate it.