PDA

View Full Version : good quality yoga pants for everyday wear?

brgnmom
01-03-2011, 06:51 PM
I like my black fold-over yoga capris from ON (http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=41581&vid=1&pid=633126&scid=633126032) and love its comfy fit, but I've found it to not wash very well. I'm hoping to find some good quality yoga pants, preferably capris. Thank you in advance!

liz
01-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Lands End has some nice styles that wash really well.

amandabea
01-03-2011, 07:46 PM
Lulu Lemon "Be Still" capris are my favorites

brgnmom
01-03-2011, 08:18 PM
thank you for your responses!

Lands End has some nice styles that wash really well.

ooh I didn't realize that Lands End carries them. I'll have to check them out. I like how my LE shirts wash well.

Lulu Lemon "Be Still" capris are my favorites

there's a Lululemon store nearby & I'm planning on stopping by the store. are these the pants you're referring to: http://shop.lululemon.com/store/productdetails.aspx?productid=1471&colorid=1077&sli=1 ? Thank you again!

Beth24
01-05-2011, 02:03 AM
I second the Lululemon recommendation. They are more expensive but the quality is excellent. They hold their shape and color for years. Have fun shopping-- maybe I'll even run into you at the Santa Monica store??? :)

citymama
01-05-2011, 03:42 AM
I've heard great things about Lululemon. However, my Gap yoga pants have held up really well and I absolutely love them!

brgnmom
01-05-2011, 02:23 PM
I second the Lululemon recommendation. They are more expensive but the quality is excellent. They hold their shape and color for years. Have fun shopping-- maybe I'll even run into you at the Santa Monica store??? :)

thank you for the add'l support of Lululemon. I haven't stopped by yet - I may go tomorrow while my DS is at preschool. we nearly saw each other at the Pump Station which is in a similar area! ;)

I've heard great things about Lululemon. However, my Gap yoga pants have held up really well and I absolutely love them!

sweet, thank you for letting me know about the gap ones. I didn't realize that they made yoga/athletic pants until I went to their website and they have an entire section dedicated to them. Maybe I'll go later today - hmm, there's this printable coupon (http://gap.m.delivery.net/w/webView?cid=18683816798&mid=1860542257&pid=870614&vid=3&ee=bWljaGVsbGV5LmNob25nQHlhaG9vLmNvbQ__&si=&mv=H&bv=H&oc=H&sc=&k=1kvPyn) for 40% off one regularly-priced item, valid for today only.

AnnieW625
01-05-2011, 06:01 PM
My favorite yoga pants I got at Anthropologie in 2005, they are from Everyday Yoga, but I can no longer find them anywhere. My second pair are some yoga capris from Nike that I bought at Kohls in 07 or 08 for $15 on the clearance rack.

I just bought some of the Tuff Athletics ones they have at Costco and I tried them on and they seem nice. Similar to Lululemon, it seems like. I still want to check out Lululemon in person though.

Citymama, which Gap pants do you have?

citymama
01-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Citymama, which Gap pants do you have?

I just have basic full-length black yoga pants from Gap - they are *really* good quality, I would say higher quality than most Gap items. I had some from Old Navy that bunched up at the waist and scrunched me at the hips - they went to Goodwill pretty soon. I also have a pair Gap Maternity yoga pants which I still wear and they still fit fine!

brgnmom
01-05-2011, 11:08 PM
My favorite yoga pants I got at Anthropologie in 2005, they are from Everyday Yoga, but I can no longer find them anywhere. My second pair are some yoga capris from Nike that I bought at Kohls in 07 or 08 for $15 on the clearance rack.

I just bought some of the Tuff Athletics ones they have at Costco and I tried them on and they seem nice. Similar to Lululemon, it seems like. I still want to check out Lululemon in person though.

Thank you for letting me know about some other possibilities! I didn't realize that they had some available at Costco or even at Anthropologie or Kohls for that matter. I'll have to be on the look-out for them the next time I'm there.

Anything by "Sweaty Betty" - fabulous store - but not sure if they're local in the States, you might have to buy overseas and pay more for shipping :( But worth it in my opinion!

It looks like this brand has boutiques only in the UK. Thanks for your recommendation!

I just have basic full-length black yoga pants from Gap - they are *really* good quality, I would say higher quality than most Gap items. I had some from Old Navy that bunched up at the waist and scrunched me at the hips - they went to Goodwill pretty soon. I also have a pair Gap Maternity yoga pants which I still wear and they still fit fine!

sweet - I wasn't able to check them out in person today. It's good to know that the Gap ones are good or better in quality. The Old Navy capri ones I have started pilling after I washed them a couple of times!

WatchingThemGrow
01-05-2011, 11:26 PM
My ON ones look horrid, my Gap ones pilled, Gap outlet ones slide down, and Lululemon ones are a tiny bit snug, but they still feel the best when I'm actually exercising, trying to make them less snug.

hillview
01-07-2011, 08:35 PM
I second the Lululemon recommendation. They are more expensive but the quality is excellent.
:yeahthat:

mrspeachykeen
01-07-2011, 09:06 PM
These are my favorite. I've had a couple of pairs for like 7 yrs and they still look new. They used to be called Power Pants, but these look the same. Great thing is that they come in lengths which is great since most yoga pants are still too long for me and I am 5'7". Nordstrom puts them on sale during the Anniversary sale in the summer, which is when I normal buy them. You can find them other places as well.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3011797?origin=keywordsearch&resultback=0

aloopylife
01-11-2011, 02:55 AM
:yeahthat:

citymama
01-11-2011, 04:31 AM
I was at the Lululemon store in Palo Alto yesterday. Those are some pricey and high quality yoga pants! I would buy them if I was going to wear yoga pants as every day pants i.e. not just to exercise in. Since I use my yoga pants for yoga, I'm fine with my Gap ones. I'm not spending $95 on pants to stretch in once a week!

brgnmom
01-11-2011, 06:29 PM
I was at the Lululemon store in Palo Alto yesterday. Those are some pricey and high quality yoga pants! I would buy them if I was going to wear yoga pants as every day pants i.e. not just to exercise in. Since I use my yoga pants for yoga, I'm fine with my Gap ones. I'm not spending $95 on pants to stretch in once a week!

ooh sweet - the one in downtown PA? I know what you mean about spending almost a grand for yoga pants. I haven't been to the b&m store here yet, but I called customer service and the service rep said that the store offers complimentary alterations for the brand's pants. If I purchase the regular length ones I'd probably need them done b/c I'm petite (5'3").

I still have to check out the Gap yoga pants in person too. ;) I was at Costco the other day and didn't see the Tuff Athletics yoga pants that Annie recommended - I think they may have sold out (?). I did see another brand (can't remember the name at the moment) of capri-style black yoga pants that retails for about $33. according to the saleperson at Costco, that brand is found only online and at costco showcases. I was going to purchase the pants, but noticed that the seams at the end of the capris were coming apart already - so I passed.

LexyLou
01-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Ok, don't flame me...but I'm not a major Lululemon fan.

I'm a fitness instructor. I teach spin, TRX, and strength classes. I LIVE in my workout clothes and wash them multiple times a week.

I have a couple Lululemon capris and shorts and a tank. I do like them and they fit nicely but honestly not any nicer than my Nike/Adidas stuff which is still not cheap but at least it's $20-$30 cheaper and item.

Personally, I really like the pants from Road Runner Sports.

brgnmom
01-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Ok, don't flame me...but I'm not a major Lululemon fan.

I'm a fitness instructor. I teach spin, TRX, and strength classes. I LIVE in my workout clothes and wash them multiple times a week.

I have a couple Lululemon capris and shorts and a tank. I do like them and they fit nicely but honestly not any nicer than my Nike/Adidas stuff which is still not cheap but at least it's $20-$30 cheaper and item.

Personally, I really like the pants from Road Runner Sports.

thank you so much for your input! It's helpful especially since you're a fitness instructor and wear/wash the pants often. Thank you for the comparison of the Lululemon brand clothing w/ Nike and Adidas workout clothing. I have a pair of Adidas workout pants - they wash well and I just hang dry them, but the material is kind of thin (perfect for working out in, but I feel self-conscious wearing the pants in public w/ my kids). I'll look into Road Runner Sports. Thank you again. :D

brgnmom
02-01-2011, 07:38 PM
Hi all,

so in my quest to find great quality yoga pants, I've tried a couple of different types since my last post. I finally made it to lululemon and love the pants there - it's just in a higher price bracket than I can afford at the moment. I went to Costco, and found the tuffs athletica pants that Annie recommended, and I really like them. I couldn't believe that they were only $16.xx each. I bought the capri black ones (without the different colored foldover fabric) and so far they've been holding up nicely.
Thanks again for your help.

DrSally
02-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Hi all,

so in my quest to find great quality yoga pants, I've tried a couple of different types since my last post. I finally made it to lululemon and love the pants there - it's just in a higher price bracket than I can afford at the moment. I went to Costco, and found the tuffs athletica pants that Annie recommended, and I really like them. I couldn't believe that they were only $16.xx each. I bought the capri black ones (without the different colored foldover fabric) and so far they've been holding up nicely.
Thanks again for your help.

I'm going to have to be on the lookout for those at Costco. I'm still searching...I'm petite, so it's hard to find full length Yoga pants that fit. I may just have to get Capri's.

brgnmom
02-01-2011, 09:32 PM
I'm going to have to be on the lookout for those at Costco. I'm still searching...I'm petite, so it's hard to find full length Yoga pants that fit. I may just have to get Capri's.

I'm petite as well (5'3") and I really like how the Tuffs Athletica capris fit and they feel soft - here's the item # if that'd help: 544380. I bought the solid black capris, but there were a few other styles w/ either turquoise or fuscia foldover fabric. HTH. ;)

bubbaray
02-01-2011, 09:40 PM
The rumor here in the land of Lululemon's head office is that the Tuff Athletics ones (which have been available here for at least 5 years, if not longer) are made in the same plant as the Lululemon ones. The fabric is lighter weight, which I actually prefer. They don't have quite the "butt sculpting" effect as the Lululemon ones, though. LOL.

DrSally
02-01-2011, 09:47 PM
The rumor here in the land of Lululemon's head office is that the Tuff Athletics ones (which have been available here for at least 5 years, if not longer) are made in the same plant as the Lululemon ones. The fabric is lighter weight, which I actually prefer. They don't have quite the "butt sculpting" effect as the Lululemon ones, though. LOL.

No way! Well, I'm willing to forgo the sculpting at that price. Sigh, another item for my Costco list. Thanks for the item # Brgnmom

brgnmom
02-02-2011, 05:19 AM

wow, thank you for the info! That's an awesome rumor. The tuff athletics capris are comfy and soft - totally worth more than the Costco price. lol, wish they had the "butt sculpting" effect that the lulu ones are well-known for - the tuff athletics capris are snug-fitting around the bottom, and I like how the material is stretchable and it smooths out my postpartum tummy.

No way! Well, I'm willing to forgo the sculpting at that price. Sigh, another item for my Costco list. Thanks for the item # Brgnmom

your welcome. :wink2: I have a growing Costco list as well - those threads about favorite Costco items are helpful (& tempting).

nupe
02-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Here is someone else's blog comparing Lulu and Tuff
http://luluaddict.blogspot.com/2011/01/what-is-relationship-between-tuff.html

And an article from costc connection about the manufacturer
http://www.costcoconnection.ca/connectioncaeng/20110102#pg23

willow33
02-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Wow! Great to know...thanks!

brgnmom
02-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Here is someone else's blog comparing Lulu and Tuff
http://luluaddict.blogspot.com/2011/01/what-is-relationship-between-tuff.html

And an article from costc connection about the manufacturer
http://www.costcoconnection.ca/connectioncaeng/20110102#pg23

thanks so much for the links. we receive the costco connection magazines by mail, and I didn't read that particular article until I saw your link. thanks again.

w/ regards to the comment that the blogger made about Tuff athletics pants holding odors: perhaps they improved their quality, but I have not had any issues with my Tuff anthletics pants holding odors. I hang dry the pants after machine washing them in cold water, and so far they haven't pilled and they haven't retained odors IME. I do agree that the fit would be better with the lulu pants though - but I'm still glad that I'm giving the Tuff athletics pants a chance. So far the pants have proven to be decent value/quality for the price.

Lupe
02-04-2011, 05:53 PM
I am a Pilates instructor and I love my lululemon pants
I used to teach aerobics too, and I had my share of Nike/Addidas
I have to say they really do not compare to lulu pants, I had some of mine for 3 years, washing them every week and they still look great, so I consider the money worth it. However, I try to buy them as cheap as possible.
Lululemon stores do have sales, and black yoga pants are can be usually found on the sales, befriend the store staff if you live close by and they will tell you when they have yoga pants on sale. There is also an instructor discount, so if you know someone that teaches classes, or you are a friendly with your instructor tell them the size and ask them to buy them for you, I have done this for friends.

nupe
02-04-2011, 06:31 PM
brgnmom: you are welcome. the link is for the Canadian costco magazine, which i suspect is different from the US version, but then I don't know for sure.

nupe
02-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Lupe:
Perhaps you or someone else may know the answer to this question. I found that Lululemon pants were way huge for me in the waist yet snug in the bottom/hips. Do you know if the waist can be altered on these? I wasn't about to take chance on 100$ pants and then at least 20$ alterations and then find they didn't fit well or the seams didn't hold.

bubbaray
02-04-2011, 06:41 PM
I dunno how you would alter Lulu pants. IIRC, their sizing starts at 0 or 2. Alterations are free.