PDA

View Full Version : Any favorite bean or lentil main dish recipes?

sadie427
01-03-2011, 10:43 PM
Both boys now eat beans relatively enthusiastically and I'd love to expand my repertoire. We do black bean soup, pinto beans w/ mexican rice, lentil soup. Any other ideas? Prefer to use dried beans (crockpot or stovetop). Doesn't have to be vegetarian necessarily but that's great too. TIA!

Clarity
01-03-2011, 10:48 PM
I make a version of this: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Beefy-Lentil-Vegetable-Soup/Detail.aspx that we all like.

etaylor75
01-04-2011, 06:12 PM
We make Honey Baked Lentils and they are really easy and good!

I think I got the recipe here first, but can't find the original thread....

Honey Baked Lentils

This is a great "one-pot" recipe. Just put all of it in a stoneware pan, cover in foil, and bake.

1 cup lentils (I like red)
2 cups water
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp soysauce or tamari
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp ginger
1 clove garlic
1 small onion
salt & pepper to taste

Bake in a covered dish at 350 until tender, about an hour and a half.

You can also add potatoes, squash, rice....makes a great winter main dish.

Erin

fauve01
01-05-2011, 12:31 AM
Honey baked lentils and potatoes (it's sort of the consistency of hash) --i think i originally got this recipe from someone here on this BB

1 cup lentils
2 cups water
2-3 tbsp honey
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
2 potatoes, diced
1-2 garlic cloves
a little grated ginger if you like it.
1 small onion, diced.
salt and pepper to taste

Put all on a baking dish, cover and cook for 1 hour or so at 350.

a friend gave me this recipe, but i haven't had a chance to make it yet. she makes it often!

"CURRIED LENTILS
essentially you cook about 1 cup of lentils (we use the tiny red ones that get tender in about 20 minutes) in a broth until they're soft. We start the dish with about half an onion and a clove of minced garlic in olive oil till soft, add the lentils and water (for adults only you can put a hot pepper in here, too). In a separate skillet, we melt about 1T ghee or butter and add our curry spices, usually 1 T of curry powder, some ground ginger and turmeric. Don't make this until the lentils are done; after you've cooked the spices in the butter for about a minute it is ready to add to the lentils.

I like to add a diced tomato and/or some frozen peas to this for texture, but dh and the girls don't like it that way. We always serve this with rice."

I also like to roast chick peas with various spices (you can make them spicy or sweet). crunchy and yum!

bubbaray
01-05-2011, 12:58 AM
Lentil dahl

http://www.fartlekrunner.com/?p=799

I use a hand blender to make it smoother.

urquie
01-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Lentil dahl

http://www.fartlekrunner.com/?p=799

I use a hand blender to make it smoother.

i can't open the link, nor the homepage on the website... any chance you can copy and paste the recipe. pretty please. :)

eta: never mind - i was able to get a cached version of it. :)