PDA

View Full Version : DD's 4th Bday is next week and I have no idea what to get her!

mikeys_mom
01-04-2011, 10:26 AM
For months, she kept saying that she wanted jewlery and a jewlery box. I was on top of things, ordered her a PBK jewlery box with her name on it - I had to order from the US, ship to my friend there and have her Dad bring it back to Canada for me, so not a simple task. I picked up a necklace from TCP with her initial on it to include with the jewlery box. She had even seen those necklaces at one point and was begging me for one. I was all set with the big WOW! bday gift.

Now, it's a week before her birthday and she just told me - I don't want jewlery or a jewlery box or a princess dress for my birthday. Umm...yeah, sure no problem...
I asked her what she does want. She says - toys, you know, just plain toys. I have asked her numerous times to try and be more specific and she won't give me any ideas of what she wants. There isn't anything specific that she is into these days. She's not that into playing with dolls. She does like puzzles and logic games. She likes playing pretend with Little Pet Shop and other similar types of playsets, but she has a lot of those already. She likes arts and crafts but I haven't found anything that would be good for a bday gift yet.

This morning she told me she wants a small pink bouncy ball with sparkles on it and some other toys. I don't want to disapoint her on her bday but I am really out of ideas. She has really been looking forward to a special day and I feel like I need a WOW! gift for her. Help!!!

Melaine
01-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Pillow Pet? My girls love them.

egoldber
01-04-2011, 11:02 AM
What about a house for her Littlest Petshops?

AbbysMom
01-04-2011, 11:05 AM
My DD is turning 4 soon too. She is the same way about dolls and has a similar likes (puzzles, arts and crafts). I find her hard to buy for b/c there is nothing specific to get. you just have to take a shot in the dark and hope they like it!

For Christmas, my DD's two favorite gifts were a Kidizoom camera and a Leapster 2. She loves both. She also loves her Fun2Learn Laptop. For arts and crafts stuff, she got a card-making kit that she loves. The Alex craft boxes have always been a big hit too. Good luck!

mikeys_mom
01-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions.
DH and I discussed it at length last night. We have spent way too much time on this decision LOL!

DD has now added Barbies to her list of what she does not want for her bday. Oy! I just want this bday to be over already. She has so much anticipation leading up to it that I feel like she is setting herself up for disappointment.

In the end, I think we are going to go against our better judgment and get her a pink leapster. It is the only thing that she actually asks for all the time and would certainly be a WOW! gift for her. We had planned to get DS a DS for his 7th bday in September and pass on his leapster to DD1. We had told her this plan and she keeps insisting that she wants a pink one but we were hoping to just get her some girly type games to satisfy her need for pink.

It seems silly to get a second leapster now because DS is starting to get a lot less interested in his. However, I know for sure that it will make her happy and I guess that's the whole point of a bday gift :).

Seitvonzu
01-05-2011, 04:23 PM
i'm wondering if the pink bouncy ball in the jewelry box wouldn't still be a good gift? why do kids have to specifically say they do NOT want the thing they were sure they did want? crazy kids :)

on the arts and crafts thing-- i used to be anti-kit. kits seemed overpriced and overly basic to me. now that i'm a mom i TOTALLY DIG KITS. i like projects being all together. i like the immediacy (pull out kit, do kit, throw away scraps, done). i even like kits for me (martha stewart sometimes has cute ones).... gee how things change once you have kids! :)

i see many arts & crafts kits in our future :):):)

vonfirmath
01-05-2011, 05:18 PM
Maybe she's just afraid getting jewelry means she won't get any toys?

Since I had the jewelry box and all already, I'd be tempted to give her the jewelry box and make sure there was a toy to unwrap as well.

mikeys_mom
01-05-2011, 05:39 PM
We were at my parents house over winter break and they gave her a necklace. She was almost in tears. It was partially because her brother and sisters got toys. In the end, my mom found a toy for her and got her to stop being upset. They told her she could have the necklace and the toys but she did not want to look at it. She wore it to synagogue on Saturday and then took it off soon after and told me not to bring it home. Of course I brought it home and when she saw it she told me to sent it back, she didn't want it. I have it hidden in my jewlery box for now.

I have no idea what brought on this extreme reaction but I certainly don't want to upset her on her bday. I'd love nothing more than to give her the jewlery box but I really feel like it's not the right time for it.