PDA

View Full Version : What's next for my peanut?

TwoBees
01-04-2011, 01:27 PM
I've noticed that DD has gotten longer lately, and the post about how long your DC has been in an infant bucket got me thinking about our next carseat, so I called the Ped's office. DD was 28 inches at her last checkup over 2 months ago. Eeep! I didn't connect that measurement to needing a new carseat because she isn't even at the top strap slot of her KF 30 yet. I guess she's got a long torso. First of all, do I need a new carseat even though we have tons of room above her head (my guess would be yes, but I'm asking anyway). Second, what's next? DD is a peanut, weighing in at only 14.5 lbs at her last checkup. Our cars are a 2011 Toyota Rav 4 and a 2008 Honda Civic. For my car (the civic) I would like something more on the narrow side with a shorter shell, because I have trouble seeing out the back window if something is higher than the headrest (I'm short). For DH's car, size doesn't matter.

So...what will work well for such a light, skinny kid?

HIU8
01-04-2011, 01:40 PM
Does your DD have more than an inch of shell above her head? If so, she does not need a new seat yet. A RF seat is outgrown when there is just 1" of shell left above a childs head. their length doesn't matter b/c some kids are longer torsoed and some have longer legs. Normally kids reach the height limit of a RF seat well before they get to the weight limit.

TwoBees
01-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Does your DD have more than an inch of shell above her head? If so, she does not need a new seat yet. A RF seat is outgrown when there is just 1" of shell left above a childs head. their length doesn't matter b/c some kids are longer torsoed and some have longer legs. Normally kids reach the height limit of a RF seat well before they get to the weight limit.

I'm not sure, I'll have to measure tonight. But she is not ready for the top strap slot so I'm going to guess that there is more than 1 inch of room.

TwoBees
01-06-2011, 08:22 AM
I finally had a chance to measure, and we have a little more than 2 inches between the top of DD's head and the top of the shell. So we have a bit longer. However, I'm still thinking about her next seats so I can keep a look out for great deals. So...any suggestions for her next seats?

bubbaray
01-06-2011, 11:03 AM
You could try a Corcoro, but don't be put off by the Britax seats -- they install REALLY well in both of your vehicles and don't block the rear view. My DD#2 just this weekend outgrew her MA (she'll be 4 in a few weeks and has a really long torso) and we are very very sad to see it go (as is she).

TwoBees
01-06-2011, 11:27 AM
You could try a Corcoro, but don't be put off by the Britax seats -- they install REALLY well in both of your vehicles and don't block the rear view. My DD#2 just this weekend outgrew her MA (she'll be 4 in a few weeks and has a really long torso) and we are very very sad to see it go (as is she).

Prior to DD's birth, I had considered a regular roundabout (not the 50) for my civic because of the shorter shell. Do you the the RA50 would work well instead? Otherwise, which Britax would you recommend? Ease of install for at least 1 seat is ideal because we would occasionally move the seat to my parents' car (maybe once every few months). Again, it doesn't look like we need the highest weight limit seat, unless DD suddenly decides she likes to eat. And space isn't an issue for DH's car.

wendibird22
01-06-2011, 12:28 PM
We have an MA for my car (Ody) and a TF for DH's car (2dr Civic). The MA is hands down the easiest install. We went with the TF for DHs car because we knew we'd have to install the seat RF behind the driver and therefore liked that we could remove the headrest for a short seat temporarily. You do have to put the headrest on once the child reaches a certain height and when FF but it did last quite a long time RF before we needed to put it back on. We are still using both seats for DD1 FF in both cars.

AnnieW625
01-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Prior to DD's birth, I had considered a regular roundabout (not the 50) for my civic because of the shorter shell. Do you the the RA50 would work well instead? Otherwise, which Britax would you recommend? Ease of install for at least 1 seat is ideal because we would occasionally move the seat to my parents' car (maybe once every few months). Again, it doesn't look like we need the highest weight limit seat, unless DD suddenly decides she likes to eat. And space isn't an issue for DH's car.

I haven't tried it in our cars yet but some people have said that the new Roundabout 55 works well in small cars because it's not as bulky as the Roundabout 50 (they still sell it at Target though so you could try it and if it doesn't work return it). If expiration date isn't a huge factor for you then you could go and look for a Britax Roundabout 40 which just got discontinued last August so you might be able to find one that is less than a year old still.

bubbaray
01-06-2011, 01:48 PM
You will definitely be able to get a very good install (RFg and FFg) with a MA or the larger Roundable in your smaller vehicle (Civic). The smaller RB is outgrown sooner and I wouldn't recommend bothering with it for your smaller vehicle, even with your expressed concern about the height of the seat. I really don't think you'll have a problem and if you do, you can install driver's side outboard to get around the issue.

TwoBees
01-06-2011, 01:55 PM
You will definitely be able to get a very good install (RFg and FFg) with a MA or the larger Roundable in your smaller vehicle (Civic). The smaller RB is outgrown sooner and I wouldn't recommend bothering with it for your smaller vehicle, even with your expressed concern about the height of the seat. I really don't think you'll have a problem and if you do, you can install driver's side outboard to get around the issue.

Okay. That makes sense. What's the difference between the Marathon, Roundabout, and Boulevard?