PDA

View Full Version : 4 Kids at Disney - Strollers?

Raidra
01-04-2011, 06:48 PM
I'm probably getting way ahead of myself, but I want to have time to look for deals at secondhand shops and whatnot.

Our kids are 7, 5, 2, and 8 months. Obviously we'll need strollers for the younger two. I'm betting that my older boys would appreciate getting to ride some, too. Right now, I have an old Eurotrend umbrella stroller that would be fine to bring (light and folds up well). Our double is a Phil & Ted's with the toddler seat.. that seems like it would be a huge PITA to fold up and lug onto buses and whatnot.

I can't spend a ton of money. What should I look for at our secondhand stores or on Craigslist? Just another cheap umbrella stroller? Or something like a Sit and Stand? I'll have Niall's Safeseat with us from the plane ride (for a Snap and Go), but I don't think he'd like riding in that much. We can wear him in the Moby for some of the time, but he was 20 lbs at his 6 month checkup, so I shudder to think of how heavy he'll be this spring.

crl
01-04-2011, 07:10 PM
I just wanted to mention that we did 5 days in the parks at WDW and my 7 year old did not ride in a stroller at all. Of course, his little sister was only 8 months old, with your age spread your 7 year old might want to ride because his siblings are riding. We took our Cybex Onxy (umbrella stroller with full recline) and it worked well for us.

Also wanted to mention that you can rent strollers at Disney World, either through Disney or through private companies. I think many people find it more cost effective to buy something off Craigslist though as you mentioned. Baby Jogger City Minis comprise many of the rentals and if you can find a double on Craigslist, that would probably be a good option (though I have no personal experience with BJCMs).

Catherine

WatchingThemGrow
01-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Hmmm...I'm trying to picture 2 adults pushing two double strollers, yet chasing a 7yo and 5yo. Honestly, I think you could get away with something like a BJCED. (I saw a BUNCH of rentals there, when we took our BJCMD instead and wished I had my air tires!) An AT double will be easier to push when you have to push the big kids. Maybe doing the "hang a Mac off the side" thing and playing stack-a-baby (kids riding in someone's lap) when your 7yo just has to ride. Either that or putting the 8mo on DH's back in the Ergo.

Where are you hoping to stay? We decided while we have 2 strollers (double and single) we are doing short visits and staying on the monorail b/c the buses and double strollers were a PITB the 2 days we did it. Monorail = MUCH easier.

ETA: When we decide that we don't have to do the 2nd stroller, we'll move to the Hitchhiker board so someone can sit/ride under the stroller if they really need to. Although, that option means limited visibility, which is not quite the right thing to do at Disney.

AnnieW625
01-04-2011, 07:36 PM
FWIW and this was at Disneyland, and granted it's been many years but I remember when my brother was 5 and we went he barely rode in his stroller at all, and then two years later at 7 he didn't ride either. I don't even think my parents had any strollers left by then; they were way less cushy then they are now. The last time I went with my sister who was 6 at the time we didn't have a stroller for her and she did fine. I also don't ever recall being in a stroller at DL when I was 5 (that was the first memorable time there) either. I know WDW is probably a bigger scale, but I think you'd be fine with one double. I think someone (maybe Gatorsmom) mentioned liking their Jeep double umbrella. You could also look for a used BJCM or a Maclaren Twin Techno or Twin Triumph.

Raidra
01-04-2011, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the replies. :) We'll be staying at one of the value resorts.. a hotel on the monorail is way out of our budget.. that's why I'm concerned about strollers. I know our little umbrella will be fine to lug onto a bus, but something bigger just makes me shudder.

I was thinking more that the kids would want/need to ride if we're trying to hurry somewhere. My older kids are very good about walking along next to the strollers (or shopping carts) so I'm not worried about them bolting. But they have short legs. :)

Melanie
01-04-2011, 08:02 PM
I'd probably rent a double for the littlest two, and bring a soft carrier so some of the time you can carry the baby and an older sibling can ride, if they really need to.

Momof3Labs
01-04-2011, 10:13 PM
We just got back with an 8yo, 4.5yo and twin toddlers. We used a BJCMD the whole trip, and two Ergos. I also brought our Mac Triumph but we found it easier to just throw one of the girls in an Ergo when DS2 wanted a ride (vs. toting the Mac everywhere in case he needed it). The Mac was handy in the airport, though.

DS1 stopped using a stroller at WDW after he turned 6yo, but he admittedly has quite long legs. We also go in cooler, less crowded weather, and don't do much hurrying around.

So, I'd suggest that you bring a good double that's easy to fold up for the busses, and a sturdy carrier like an Ergo that you can wear for longer periods.

Are you getting two Value rooms?

cckwmh
01-04-2011, 11:08 PM
we went in early december with 2 almost 5 year olds (turned 5 a few weeks after we got back), and rented 2 singles, a BJCM and the bigger BJ with the air tires, i think it was a classic. neither kid has ridden in strollers since they were 2 and the stroller rentals were the best $ we spent on the trip. easy to fold. the kids fell asleep on the buses, and it was easy carry or guide them off the bus then immediately into the carriage for the walk back to the room. the one with with air tires steered much easier.

Raidra
01-05-2011, 12:22 AM
We just got back with an 8yo, 4.5yo and twin toddlers. We used a BJCMD the whole trip, and two Ergos. I also brought our Mac Triumph but we found it easier to just throw one of the girls in an Ergo when DS2 wanted a ride (vs. toting the Mac everywhere in case he needed it). The Mac was handy in the airport, though.

DS1 stopped using a stroller at WDW after he turned 6yo, but he admittedly has quite long legs. We also go in cooler, less crowded weather, and don't do much hurrying around.

So, I'd suggest that you bring a good double that's easy to fold up for the busses, and a sturdy carrier like an Ergo that you can wear for longer periods.

Are you getting two Value rooms?

We'd be getting either two regular value rooms or a family suite at the Music one.. depending on how long we're there for. I worry about not getting connecting rooms, but we can't afford the suite unless we cut our trip by a few days.

It's good to know that my 7 year old should do fine. I don't anticipate doing all that much hurrying.. I can just send my husband ahead if I need to. I was just thinking if they hit a wall or something and needed to leave quickly.

egoldber
01-05-2011, 11:05 AM
I think the 7 year old, and likely the 5 year old, will be fine walking most of the time.

I would bring a double and also two carriers. That way if an older one needs to ride, you can just wear one or both of the younger kids. We did this when we went with older DD at ages 5 and 6. If she needs to ride, I would just put younger DD in a sling and let older DD ride.

salsah
01-05-2011, 01:23 PM
I think the 7 year old, and likely the 5 year old, will be fine walking most of the time.

I would bring a double and also two carriers. That way if an older one needs to ride, you can just wear one or both of the younger kids. We did this when we went with older DD at ages 5 and 6. If she needs to ride, I would just put younger DD in a sling and let older DD ride.

i agree. i think something like the bjcmd should work well for disney. of course the mbud would be great because the 5 yr old can catch a ride on the foot plate.