PDA

View Full Version : Should I wait to get 2011 BJCS?

lauren3110
01-05-2011, 09:27 AM
I am having trouble deciding if I should go ahead and jump on one of the 2010 BJCS deals or wait and get a 2011. Is the 2011 worth the extra $ - I am planning to get the second seat too and some other add-ons. Any advise?

Also, how long do you think the 2010 sales will last? There is a HUGE consignment sale in my area at the end of Feb and I am thinking maybe I should wait to see if I can get a slightly used one. Does anyone remember how long the sales lasted last year?

Thanks!

AidanRyanMom
01-05-2011, 09:35 AM
From what I've heard, there will be significant changes in the seat on the select for 2011 (more support and larger I believe). I can't remember any other changes, but try googling it. Personally, I would wait if you can and get the updated version.

Mommy_Again
01-05-2011, 03:23 PM
There are no changes to the chassis/frame. The seat bottoms will be more sturdy - right now they are the hammock type and they'll have additional support in the 2011 version. Upgraded fabric too, I think.

If I go with this stroller, I'm going to just do the 2010 version, I think.

Mrs.Christie
01-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Not trying to highjack or anything, but what's the lowest price you've found on a 2010 and where are you finding the deals? Does anyone sell the frame only?that's all I'd want for now if the 2011 seats will be larger and more supportive.

lauren3110
01-06-2011, 09:29 AM
The lowest prices I was seeing on new ones were about $319 for the single and about $125 for the second seat. I did a pricegrabber.com and nextag.com search and came up with a bunch of stores at those prices. I have not seen the frame for sale by itself.

Lupe
01-06-2011, 10:18 AM
Hi
Pishposhbaby has some detailed descriptions and pictures of what the changes are, they also have the cheapest prices for the 2010 models
I've heard some complaints about the hammock style seat so the changes may be worth it, the seat is also bigger
I am personally returning my BJCS 2010 that I bought before xmass
I thought about getting the 2011, but even the improvements on the seat are not enough for them to remove the warning that the seat cannot be used until 6 months, the basinnet will not last you that long, so the only option will be to use the car seat until then. It may not be an issue for occasional use but I need to use it a lot before then, since I walk to most places. The BJCS fully reclines, so some people use it before 6 months, but they are not liable if anything happens. The Vista and Bugaboos are officially authorized for use at 3 months an up, so it is something to take into account and I didn't know
Hope this info is helpful
Good luck shopping!

AidanRyanMom
01-06-2011, 11:56 AM
FWIW, someone on strollerswap was just saying that the 2011 seat will fit on the 2010 frame, so if you go with the 2010 and hate the seat there is a way to fix it without buying a whole new stroller. Might be worth the price difference knowing that.

wendibird22
01-06-2011, 12:10 PM
I have a 2010 and have no problems with the seats. Both girls (1 and 3.5) are comfortable in them. In fact DD1 loves riding in the stroller.

I am one who used it for DD2 before she was 6mos old. It does have a full recline of the seat back except that then the lower leg area is raised up. So, envision a bucket carseat. If you tip it back the leg area tips up. So I'm sure they can't consider that a full recline and thus the higher age recommendation. But, DD2 was a peanut and legs weren't long enough to extend into the area that tips back up so she really was fully reclined in the seat.

Mommy_Again
01-06-2011, 09:44 PM
the basinnet will not last you that long

what issues did you have with the bassinet?

Lupe
01-06-2011, 09:56 PM
What I meant by the bassinet "doesn't last long" is that a lot of babies start rolling up or not liking to stay laying flat on their backs
before you get to 6 months, in which case you can't use the bassinet anymore, and you can't (according to Baby Jogger) use the seat before 6 months.
You may even outgrow the weight limit of the bassinet before 6 months (although the weight limit is 25 I believe).
Most people I asked switched from the bassinet to the stroller seat at 3 months, other strollers are OK to be used at 3 months and up, but not the BJCS (at least not officially).

One of the reasons I am returning is that I am afraid I will not be able to use the bassinet anymore earlier than 6 months and won't be able to use the seat yet, so I will have no stroller for some undetermined period of time.
I do not want to use the car seat with the stroller for long periods of time which will be the only other option left. I guess it depends on how much the stroller will actually be used before 6 months, and every situation may be a little different. I plan to walk a lot with my baby in the stroller from the start, since I rarely drive and live in a city (with some rough sidewalks)

The BJCS has a nice push and it folds like a dream, it is a very nice stroller, just doesn't work very well for me for the reason above, but maybe a great stroller for someone else.

poohbear
01-06-2011, 10:13 PM
pishposhbaby is the lowest at $317. And they are an authorized retailer so if you have any warranty issues, you are fine.
My guess is the sales on the 2010s will last until they sell out...

Mommy_Again
01-06-2011, 10:50 PM
What I meant by the bassinet "doesn't last long" is that a lot of babies start rolling up or not liking to stay laying flat on their backs
before you get to 6 months, in which case you can't use the bassinet anymore, and you can't (according to Baby Jogger) use the seat before 6 months.
You may even outgrow the weight limit of the bassinet before 6 months (although the weight limit is 25 I believe).
Most people I asked switched from the bassinet to the stroller seat at 3 months, other strollers are OK to be used at 3 months and up, but not the BJCS (at least not officially).

One of the reasons I am returning is that I am afraid I will not be able to use the bassinet anymore earlier than 6 months and won't be able to use the seat yet, so I will have no stroller for some undetermined period of time.
I do not want to use the car seat with the stroller for long periods of time which will be the only other option left. I guess it depends on how much the stroller will actually be used before 6 months, and every situation may be a little different. I plan to walk a lot with my baby in the stroller from the start, since I rarely drive and live in a city (with some rough sidewalks)

The BJCS has a nice push and it folds like a dream, it is a very nice stroller, just doesn't work very well for me for the reason above, but maybe a great stroller for someone else.

Ahh, OK good. I thought you encountered a quality issue with it. The single stroller I have is the Bumbleride Flyer, and I purchased the bassinet (carrycot) for DD. I used it ALL.THE.TIME...probably until she was around 6 months or so, although I can't remember exactly when I packed it away. She's always been 50% for height and weight, but the stroller just seemed to swallow her up if I strapped her in the regular seat before 6 months. Basically, if she wasn't asleep when I had to use the stroller (in which case I snapped the car seat in), she was in the bassinet. Most babies are sitting up at 6 months, but it's not so easy for them to get to a sitting up position from lying down - so I never worried about her propelling herself out of the carrycot.

I really think you'd be OK with this stroller...but I know it's hard since you can't predict your baby's size or developmental progress.

lauren3110
01-11-2011, 10:45 AM
what price would you go ahead and buy the 2010 vs. the 2011? If you had the opportunity to buy the 2010 w/ second seat new for $365 would that make it worth it, or should I hold out for a 2011?

Lupe
01-11-2011, 11:04 AM
That seems like a good price. I went to Buy Buy Baby to return my BJCS, and I can say that after looking at the seat in person, the 2011 seat is improved, but not sure if so much to be worth the extra $$$. Whatever you do, don't go with the Diamond color. The bassinet got a little bit dirty from just sitting on the baby room for 2 weeks before returning!

I am personally going with an Uppababy Vista (2011 Cole color, so happy, but it won't ship until the end of the month), because I am concerned about my baby outgrowing the bassinet before 6 months.

The woman at pish posh baby, her name is Sara, was really helpful in answering all my questions about the BJCS and the Vista, they sell the 2010 BJCS for 319, you may even get a good deal with seat added, I highly recommend their site, maybe you can contact her and see if she can beat your deal?

jacksmoma
01-11-2011, 01:29 PM
you can also have diapers.com pm pishposhbaby.com- that's what i did :)

coolae
01-11-2011, 01:46 PM
what price would you go ahead and buy the 2010 vs. the 2011? If you had the opportunity to buy the 2010 w/ second seat new for $365 would that make it worth it, or should I hold out for a 2011?

for $365 with the second seat i would totally grab the 2010! have you found that???
;)

lauren3110
01-11-2011, 02:50 PM
A local mom said she would sell me hers for $365 w/ the second seat. It is brand new and the 2nd seat is still in the box. She got something else and didn't want to have to deal w/shipping it back. It is the red one.

I am just nervous about the seat thing - no pe board, seat depth.. is it really that much of an issue? It seems like most people have been happy with the 2010, right?

jacksmoma
01-11-2011, 05:43 PM
for that price difference i would TOTALLY get the 2010...i have heard that the sling seat is BETTER because it gives more upper body space in the seat since the child can sit lower in the seat (fabric has a lot more give than the 2011...) go for it!

coolae
01-11-2011, 05:54 PM
A local mom said she would sell me hers for $365 w/ the second seat. It is brand new and the 2nd seat is still in the box. She got something else and didn't want to have to deal w/shipping it back. It is the red one.

I am just nervous about the seat thing - no pe board, seat depth.. is it really that much of an issue? It seems like most people have been happy with the 2010, right?

i can't keep track of everyone so do you have two kids? can you try them in the seats and see how y'all like it? the seat issue doesn't sound major with me either! for $365 if you end up hating it you could totally make that money back selling on CL (not that you want to deal with that, but worst case scenario it's not bad)