PDA

View Full Version : How to get motivated??

Twoboos
01-05-2011, 10:13 AM
I am sitting here on BBB. I should be doing 538 other things. We are seriously contemplating moving and I need to get stuff done around the house. But it's so nice here. :)

Where can I find some motivation to clean/purge/donate/call contractors/get house projects done??

Ack, maybe this belongs in bitching. But how do you get started on what you need to do around the house?

KrisM
01-05-2011, 10:36 AM
Breaking it into small, short projects works for me. Looking at an entire room that needs organizing is too overwhelming, but looking at a nightstand, a dresser drawer, etc is much more doable.

When I moved, I said I would pack 3 boxes a day. Most days I did more, but if I was really not in the mood, I stopped at 3.

Today, I'm going to work on decluttering more, too. First thing is the laundry room. I'm going to give myself 15 minutes to get done what I can. If I want, I can keep going, otherwise, I'll stop for now and either do another area or take a play break.

Good luck.

jvs195
01-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Make a list. Break into small tasks. Check off items as they are done (helps the motivation for me). Set a time limit and increase if you are on a roll. Once you get started and see progress it is its own motivation.

mezzona
01-05-2011, 01:11 PM
This is what I do for all things I need to do but hate doing. Do one task. Take a break and celebrate. Pick the next task. Do it then celebrate. And by celebrate I mean grab a coke or a twix bar or watch an episode of glee. GL!

elephantmeg
01-05-2011, 01:19 PM
I started by making a list of places to clear out and now I'm just going through them one by one. Here's my list:
-cedar chest
-my closet
-top of china cupboard (where I put stuff with small peices that I don't want the kids into!)
-top of appliance cupboard
-paper catch all basket

once you get going it gets easier. And having lots of empty laundry baskets to sort into helps too-I keep 3 at hand-one for stuff to go upstairs, one for stuff to put away and one for donations. Then I'v also been carying around a big trash can or bag for trash. When a basket is full, take care of it (take trash out, box up the stuff for donation and take to the car, put stuff away)

SnuggleBuggles
01-05-2011, 01:35 PM
When my house gets too cluttered or messy I schedule something (playdate, party...) at my house. I work better with a deadline!

Beth

hillview
01-07-2011, 08:09 PM
I make a list. I also just start and if I can get the kids out of the house often become consumed with it. I put on music too :)
/hillary

LMPC
01-07-2011, 10:40 PM
I'm a list maker, too -- and I make sure to build in rewards for myself (e.g., 30 minutes on BBB!). Seeing what I am accomplishing in b&w is very motivating for me.