PDA

View Full Version : WWYD Cycle question - maybe TMI

BabbyO
01-05-2011, 12:18 PM
DH and I are TTC. But all the sudden my cycle has gone all wacky. My history is this:
-My first child was conceived when I was 18. My cycle was fairly regular, I think around 27 days. (I gave him up for adoption). After having him I went on BC Pill and was on various versions/brands from about 18 to 27.

-At 27 the BC that I was on was making me crazy. I was married and we decided that I'd go off the pill and use barrier methods for BC only. It wasn't a big deal if we conceived, though we weren't actively trying to. My cycle was clockwork predictable at 27 days long. The only variation was when I was in a play shortly before conceiving DS. My cycle synched with the other women in the show.

-At 32 I conceived my DS. Despite BF/Pumping for 13 months I got my period about 7 mo post partum. It came with a vengence being EXTREMELY heavy for the first 3 day. My second cycle came late, 36 days, no surprise there, then 24 days, then we settled back into 27 days for 3 consecutive months. Yep we're getting back to normal, except for the extremely heavy bleeding for the first 3 days.

-I went to see the Doc because the bleeding was SO bad, I would get light headed and nearly blacked out twice from standing up. The doc had me do an ultrasound to rule out any problems. Nothing was found. He prescribed OTC iron supplements to combate the iron loss and wooziness I would feel. He said that since we were planning to TTC in the next few months he wouldn't recommend anything more be done at this point.

-At this point my cycle shortened to 25 days...so I thought, ok, its just changing again. After 2 cycles of that I went 31 days and we actually thought we might be pg. The next 2 cycles were 25 days again, so I figured it was the stress of going on an overseas trip that caused the longer cycle.

-Now my cycle is all messed up again. One 28 day cycle, and now a 21 day cycle.

Is it normal to have such variation nearly 1 yr after your cycle starts up again?

Also, how the heck are we supposed to conceive if I don't know if my cycle is going to be 21 days or 28 days? Thats a pretty big variation. This is making me crazy and frustrated. We've been TTC for 4 mo (I know this isn't that long) but I feel nuts. My first child was conceived the first time I'd ever had unprotected sex; the second was conceived on one of two occasions where DH and I had unprotected sex. I'm a fertile Myrtle...why isn't my cycle cooperating?

Ok, maybe this should have gone in BP, but seriously, I'm wondering if I should see my doc...is this normal. Why am I so dumb about my body?

BabyBearsMom
01-05-2011, 12:37 PM
My cycle also came back 7 months after having DD and it also came back with a vengance, heavy and horrible for the first 3 or 4 days. I have always had an irregular cycle, but I don't think it is abnormal for it to switch up from time to time.

As for TTC, as someone who TTC with an irregular cycle, it just meant that you had to use other techniques besides days to know when you are ovulating. Observe mucus production, track your temperature with a basal thermometer etc. In the end, DH and I just ended up TTC almost every day when I wasn't actively bleeding. It was DH's idea, surprise surprise, but we did conceive after 2 months of that.

BabbyO
01-05-2011, 12:43 PM
Hehehe...I'd like to say DH wouldn't have a problem with trying every day, but I know that would be a bit of a lie because I'd want to try every morning...he prefers night! :)

I kinda feel like that is our best bet....

Mucus production I can follow...well sorta. I mean I notice it...

Basal temp...I lack the dicipline to take my temp every morning, at the same time, before I even get out of bed. I suppose part of it is that I get up in the dark so I don't wake DH up. No, the alarm doesn't wake him really...its a light, I see it LONG before he does.

BabyBearsMom
01-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Good luck. I think we are going to start TTC in a few months and remembering how hard it was with my irregular cycle is already giving me stress. I'm wishing you a very fertile cycle!

MoJo
01-06-2011, 02:25 PM
My cycle has always been more irregular than what you are experiencing. We were very successful using Ovulation Predictor Kits, so that might be something to look into.

WolfpackMom
01-06-2011, 02:40 PM
I was also going to suggest ovulation predictor kits. We used the very expensive clear plan digital system where you buy seperate test strips and put them in the monitor - only could do it because I found someone selling theirs on Craigslist for $30. I would suggest doing some research on that, I also did BBT charting. Good luck!!