PDA

View Full Version : Water temp when showering...

Myira
01-05-2011, 12:51 PM
I am only 4 weeks but want to be cautious since we had a m/c in August.

I know you are supposed to not take hot tub baths that raise your body temp about 102 something. I only take a shower but with pretty hot water since I feel quite cold and the hold water just soothes sore muscles, but then just worry if that is too hot.

I do not know what our heater is set to and what temp the water might be. Should I start taking showers with cooler water or would it be okay since I am not longer than 10 minutes in there?

scrooks
01-05-2011, 03:06 PM
I was always worried about this. I had heard all the same things. I take super hot showers normally but when pregnant (especially early on) I take cooler (not cold) showers than normal and am really careful how long I am in there. I may just be paranoid though..... I would like to hear what others think too!

Melaine
01-05-2011, 03:13 PM
Interesting. I'm not pregnant, and don't know the answer to your question, but have wondered about cold showers when pregnant. I have been using them as anxiety therapy (although lately I've chickened out a lot, it's hard in the winter). I have read that you shouldn't do cold showers when on your period because your body needs "extra care" so I wondered if they are safe while pregnant.

kaharris83
01-05-2011, 03:47 PM
I had 2 m/c's at 8 weeks after struggling with infertility so I can relate to wanting to be extra cautious. The third time I was pregnant we finally got our miracle and while I was pregnant I always showered with extremely hot water. I was worried about it and asked my OB and she said it was fine. The body can regulate as long as you aren't in there too long(she told me think 45 minutes as too long for a shower).

BabyBearsMom
01-05-2011, 03:53 PM
I can totally sympathize. I also had a miscarriage and worried about the same thing. I asked my midwife and OB and they both told me not to worry about a shower. They said that you don't get hot enough from the water. They said the real concern is for an actual hot tub, not just taking a bath at home. Good luck to you.

Nechums
01-05-2011, 03:53 PM
i like my showers REALLY hot and haven't changed the temperature during either of my 2 pregnancies. i honestly never even thought about it, but i tend to be a quite showerer, so i dont think my body has any time to raise its internal temperature.

pampers37
01-05-2011, 11:13 PM
my wife mc'ed twice and we are now 6 months along, she said she didnt stop taking really hot showers .. hth.

sunshine873
01-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Like other posters, I had the same concerns after a m/c. My OB assured me that a hot shower was fine. In a hot bath, your whole body is submerged and you don't have any surface that can cool down. That's not the case in a shower, there are parts under the water and parts that are not, so your body temp doesn't rise up like it does in the tub.

Shower on and enjoy the warm-up opportunity!

sewarsh
01-07-2011, 07:57 PM
The thought never even occurred to me.

I had asked my OB about hot tubs and he said don't stay in long and that you'll get too hot before baby gets too hot. In other words, your body will tell you when you are reaching the point that its time to get out.

mikala
01-07-2011, 10:16 PM
I wondered about this while pregnant and my midwife assured me it was fine. The water doesn't touch enough surface area to really raise your core body temperature and most people don't stand there with the hot water aimed at their bellies for hours on end :)

Enjoy the warm water and relax!

lhafer
01-08-2011, 07:39 PM
If it feels good to you, then enjoy it.

Personally, I usually take really hot showers. But when I was pregnant, the hot water made my nausea so much WORSE!!! I had to take tepid to cool showers. If it got too hot (as in a little bit warm), I wound up throwing up/wretching in the shower. Ugh. Not pleasant memories.