PDA

View Full Version : I am addicted to Brussels Sprouts...and you can be, too!

amldaley
01-06-2011, 01:35 AM
I can't stop making these (and now am making variations, too!) I know there are some really popular, similar recipes that use parmasean cheese, too (but we are dairy-free).

Take clean and trimmed sprouts and cut in half.
Heat about a TBS olive oil or other fave oil in pan on medium-high.
Toss cut sprouts in additional oil just to lightly coat.
Place sprouts cut side down in pan & immediately, generously, liberally sprinkle medium or coarse grain gourmet salt over sprouts (I prefer pink himilayan. Kosher worked ok. Celtic gray was too strong).
Sear cut side (1-2 minutes).
Lower heat to medium and cover for 5 minutes.
Remove lid, raise heat to medium-high and stir, toss and move sprouts for 1-2 minutes.
Drizzle a well aged balsamic over sprouts and toss thoroughly.
ENJOY.

I have also added minced garlic, chopped green onion. etc with success. White balsamic does not work well. Too bright and acidic with not enough time to cook off.

DD is willing to nibble on these. When I perfect the toddler friendly version, I will let you know!

Fairy
01-06-2011, 02:03 AM
Me, too!!! ME TOO!!!

I do this a bit differently, but yours sound so good, too. I place the sprouts in a pan of olive oil, roll 'em aroudn so that they get coated, and then liberal liberal amounts of kosher salt. I do, however, use sea fresh ground sea salt cuz I don't have kosher, but kosher is better. Then bake at 400 for 30 minutes. Turn 'em over, do another 15 or 20, take 'em out and eat. Don't get rid of the little leaves that get all brown and crispy, they're really good.

DrSally
01-06-2011, 02:17 AM
Sounds great, I should make them like this. I like them steamed and tossed with warm bacon crumbles and a bit of bacon fat.

citymama
01-06-2011, 03:10 AM
Me too! We love the Mark Bittman recipe for roasted brussels sprouts - the roasting really sends them over the top. Olive oil, salt and lots of heat - YUM.

WatchingThemGrow
01-06-2011, 07:12 AM
Ina Garten's recipe (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-brussels-sprouts-recipe2/index.html) is super-simple. Just toss w/olive oil and sea salt, then roast them whole for 40ish min. We actually put them in the Advantium oven and they go from fridge to table in under 20 min (speedcook 18m).

DD love, love, loves them. She thinks they're cute, like baby corn. Maybe she thinks they are little lettuces.

DrSally
01-06-2011, 05:27 PM
When you guys are referring to Kosher salt, are you referring to the coarse grain kind (or is this the only kind, IDK?). Also, by "high heat", do you mean 450 in the oven?

Fairy
01-06-2011, 05:46 PM
I do 400 for 40 - 45 minutes, turn at 30. I use sea salt freshly ground only cuz I don't have kosher. But any kosher ought to do. Hopimg costco has kosher.

PunkyBoo
01-06-2011, 06:24 PM
Can I come over to eat at your house??? I LOVE LOVE LOVE brussels sprouts and nobody else in my family will eat them at all. I've tried different recipes, I've begged them, but NOPE. I'm consistently the only one who will eat them. And those sound SOOO delicious!!!

DrSally
01-06-2011, 06:38 PM
I do 400 for 40 - 45 minutes, turn at 30. I use sea salt freshly ground only cuz I don't have kosher. But any kosher ought to do. Hopimg costco has kosher.

Thanks! I'm pretty sure I've seen kosher at Costco.

mctlaw
01-06-2011, 11:47 PM
Add me to the loves brussel sprouts club. I roast them, as well, usually with some whole cloves of garlic thrown in. DS likes them too.

DrSally
01-07-2011, 12:16 AM
Do they have brussle sprouts at Costco?

Fairy
01-07-2011, 12:43 AM
Do they have brussle sprouts at Costco?

I've never seen them, but then again I'm not looking there. But I get mine as big stalks at TJ's. Just made the last of mine. I think I'm finally done for a while.

DrSally
01-07-2011, 01:26 AM
Thanks, will put on my list for my next trip to TJ's. Love their wild arugala too.

wendmatt
01-09-2011, 04:47 PM
I don't go to Costco very often but the last 2 times I went (this week and mid Dec) they had them in the big refridgerator room, 2lbs for $3.99 I think. I love brussel sprouts too, I must try roasting them.

Fairy
01-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Yes, I saw them in the fridge room in mine yesterday, too. They had them in the back, opposite the door.

swrc00
01-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Can I come over to eat at your house??? I LOVE LOVE LOVE brussels sprouts and nobody else in my family will eat them at all. I've tried different recipes, I've begged them, but NOPE. I'm consistently the only one who will eat them. And those sound SOOO delicious!!!

:yeahthat:

DH threatened to leave if he ever smelled them cooking in our house. I have loved them since I was little and they are so good for you.

karstmama
01-09-2011, 05:36 PM
the roasted ones sound excellent! give the steamer bags of sprouts a try, too - they are surprisingly good & very fast to make.

amldaley
01-10-2011, 12:21 AM
I buy mine at Costco routinely (yes, in the big cooler room).

And I have to say, I think saute is better than roasting. The direct heat does something yummy to them. Maybe I don't dig roasting as my mother always seemed to overcook anything roasted. They just smell poopy to me when roasted.

Fairy
01-10-2011, 06:24 PM
:yeahthat:

DH threatened to leave if he ever smelled them cooking in our house. I have loved them since I was little and they are so good for you.

DH didnt' say anything about the ... aroma ... he was very nice about just not saying anything. But it was clear that he would pay me to NOT make them again.

alirebco
01-10-2011, 07:05 PM
Ina Garten's recipe (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-brussels-sprouts-recipe2/index.html) is super-simple. Just toss w/olive oil and sea salt, then roast them whole for 40ish min. We actually put them in the Advantium oven and they go from fridge to table in under 20 min (speedcook 18m).

DD love, love, loves them. She thinks they're cute, like baby corn. Maybe she thinks they are little lettuces.

We do the same roasting recipe and they are amazing! I can eat all of them in one sitting!

WatchingThemGrow
01-10-2011, 07:29 PM
We do the same roasting recipe and they are amazing! I can eat all of them in one sitting!
Yah... I gave DD the leftover 2 tiny ones at lunch today, and after eating everything else, she asked for more. When I told her we were completely out of them, you could have heard her yell a million miles away. I gave her some lasagne and she screamed, "I did not ask for lasagne. I.need.more.brussels.sprouts!" It just sounds so funny to be coming out of kid's mouth.

elektra
01-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Trying the Ina Garten recipe tonight!

Fairy
01-10-2011, 09:21 PM
I think we in this thread should recognize ourselves as the charter members of the I Love Brussels Sprouts Society. Should we have badges?

karstmama
01-11-2011, 10:12 AM
bought some fresh ones yesterday - gonna give the roasting a try real soon! we usually boil/steam, so the steambags fit right in, but if roasting is all that, i'm there!

boolady
01-11-2011, 12:29 PM
DH and I love brussel sprouts, especially just roasted with OO and kosher salt. We just had them for dinner Monday night, and I ate the leftovers for lunch yesterday. Whoever said the crispy stray leaves are delicious is right...we're usually fighting for those.

On Thanksgiving, I made a shaved brussel sprouts w/ shallots and crumbled bacon recipe that was amazing, but not quite something I want to serve every week in terms of the fat content.

elektra
01-11-2011, 01:15 PM
I think i burned mine last night. :( not sure what I did wrong. Maybe they were too small and needed less time in the oven? They were still good after peeling a few layers off at least.

niccig
01-12-2011, 03:46 AM
kid version is instead of balsamic, grate parmesan cheese all over them...otherwise, it's the same recipe.

daisymommy
01-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Okay, after swearing as a child that I hated Brussels sprouts, and would never eat them again when I left home...I am going to give it a whirl. You guys have me convinced to at least try them once more!

Do you sprinkle on the fresh Parm/Reg. cheese when they are all finished cooking?

amldaley
01-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Parmasean Crusted Brussel Sprouts & variations
http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/goldencrusted-brussels-sprouts-recipe.html

The site above is especially great if you are new to our loveable little "mini-cabbage" as it will walk you through cleaning and trimming them, too!

amldaley
01-12-2011, 10:11 PM
I think we in this thread should recognize ourselves as the charter members of the I Love Brussels Sprouts Society. Should we have badges?

I don't know how to make a badge, but check out my new signature :tongue5:

amldaley
01-12-2011, 10:15 PM
Fresh vs Trimmed vs Bagged...

So, I have consistently used the bagged, already prepped Brussels Sprouts from Costco and in pan searing, the have been successful,

Bought some already trimmed but loose from the grocery the other day and they seemed to have more liquid in them. The sautee pan was a little watery.

Anyone else notice a difference?

karstmama
01-14-2011, 12:20 PM
roasting some for the first time as we type...i'll let you know!

miki
01-14-2011, 03:33 PM
I love this recipe with bacon and cheese but I like it without the baking at the end: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/bacon-braised-brussels-sprouts-recipe/index.html

I'm thinking of trying this one: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/bacon-and-brussels-sprout-hash-recipe/index.html

karstmama
01-14-2011, 05:56 PM
well, y'all, they were good! we'd do them again. thanks for the idea!

amldaley
01-17-2011, 04:38 PM
Ok, ok, ok. I did it. I roasted some. And, yeah. I will admit. They are good. But they are soooooooooooooo different from pan frying/sauteeing them!

I will def. roast again, but I highly encourage you all to try "The Pan". They just don't even compare to one another!

mezzona
01-17-2011, 04:45 PM
I am terribly afraid of trying new veggies. (bad kid experiences) and obly as an adult have tried adding more veggies to my diet. Can someone tell me what they taste similar to? Before I try them myself?

amldaley
01-17-2011, 05:20 PM
I am terribly afraid of trying new veggies. (bad kid experiences) and obly as an adult have tried adding more veggies to my diet. Can someone tell me what they taste similar to? Before I try them myself?

Sort of like a three way cross of cabbage, potato and broccoli.

DO NOT try steaming or boiling for your first time! Go with one of the recipes linked above in previous posts!

http://www.foodreference.com/html/artbrusselssprouts.html

mezzona
01-21-2011, 12:43 AM
Sort of like a three way cross of cabbage, potato and broccoli.

DO NOT try steaming or boiling for your first time! Go with one of the recipes linked above in previous posts!

http://www.foodreference.com/html/artbrusselssprouts.html

Awesome. Those 3 are already in my regular diet. I'll try Brussels sprouts next. I'm very curious!

Fairy
01-21-2011, 02:59 AM
I can't believe we have four pages on brussels sprouts. Seriously! Awesome.

The problem with pan frying or any of these other recipes that involve, say, bacon (yummy as they truly sound) is the amount of calories. A brussels sprout is like 8 calories a piece. You can have 20 of them for less than 200 calories. I do not count olive oil calories becuase it's an essential oil, and unless you're practically deep frying, the health benefits sort of cancel out the calories. In my own mind. Now, the sodium level is huge, so you're gonna retain that water for quite some time. Can't have it all. But calories? You can't beat that roasting recipe. I can't do the pan fried with all those other delicious ingredients or it'll defeat my purpose.

Now, if you're going to try these for the first time Mezzona, then the advice not to steam them is excellent. Taht's an acquired taste. I definitely advise oneo f the pan fried recipes or the roasting with lots and lots of kosher sald (or sea salt if you must) as a runner up. Go for it! The worst thing that could happen is that you'll hate them. But ... maybe your family will like them? Good luck! So glad you've been inspired!

twowhat?
01-25-2011, 02:07 PM
Agree with PPs that if you're going to try them, try one of the methods that caramelizes the sugars in the sprouts first (pan-sear or roast).

I made roasted sprouts for Christmas (everyone would just say "oh" when I told them what I was making LOL). But by the end of dinner - the entire large bowl was GONE.

Toss halved sprouts in EVOO and sea salt, roast at 400 for 20-30 min (I get them at Costco in the cold room).

While they roast, heat some EVOO or butter (depending on how healthy you want this to be) in a frying pan and add mushrooms (I like a mix of baby bellas and wild shrooms). Cook until shrooms are golden brown and caramelized on the edges. Set aside in a large bowl. In the same pan, heat a bit more EVOO or butter, add one large thinly sliced shallot and cook until golden brown. Add a quarter cup or so of white wine and cook, scraping up browned bits, until reduced by about half. Add back in the shrooms and sprouts. Drizzle in some cream (again, use as much as you want!) and toss over low heat until the sauce thickens a bit and everything warms through. Transfer back into the same large bowl. YUM:)

Corie
01-25-2011, 04:50 PM
I have never liked Brussels Sprouts until about a month ago
when I tasted a fabulous dish at a local restaurant.

My husband's side dish with his steak was called "Seared Brussels Medley"
and it was delicious.

We both loved it! I could have eaten it as the main course.

DrSally
01-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Just got some fresh ones at Costco today. Gonna try the roasting receipe!

MMMommy
07-16-2011, 10:21 PM
I love roasted brussel sprouts with bacon!

Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Rinse and half brussel sprouts. Cut into tiny pieces about 4 to 6 slices of bacon. Mix the halved brussel sprouts with the chopped bacon, season with some kosher/sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Place in a single layer on the baking sheet and roast in oven at 350 degrees. The timing isn't exact, but keep an eye on the brussels. When close to desired degree of doneness, turn oven to broil for a few minutes. Yum!

Fairy
07-17-2011, 01:56 AM
I love roasted brussel sprouts with bacon!

Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Rinse and half brussel sprouts. Cut into tiny pieces about 4 to 6 slices of bacon. Mix the halved brussel sprouts with the chopped bacon, season with some kosher/sea salt and fresh ground paper. Place in a single layer on the baking sheet and roast in oven at 350 degrees. The timing isn't exact, but keep an eye on the brussels. When close to desired degree of doneness, turn oven to broil for about five minutes. Yum!

I have the worst luck with the broil function. I can bake and roast and basically turn on an oven, but the minute I touch that broil button, I have bricks of charcoal where the food used to be. I will, however, try this and see how it goes.

MMMommy
07-17-2011, 04:59 AM
When broiling, I make sure my oven is slightly ajar, and I watch the sprouts because they can burn easily. It just adds a nice, slight char at the end and a bit of crispness. And I have been known to use more slices of bacon than just four to six pieces. Heh, heh. Everything tastes better with bacon!

amldaley
07-17-2011, 09:47 AM
When broiling, I make sure my oven is slightly ajar, and I watch the sprouts because they can burn easily. It just adds a nice, slight char at the end and a bit of crispness. And I have been known to use more slices of bacon than just four to six pieces. Heh, heh. Everything tastes better with bacon!

I am going to try your recipe sans bacon. I have tried roasting and it is second place for me to the pan sautee method, but I do like getting the crisped edges that you mention.

Fairy - lower your rack. (hee hee..ok...) Lower your OVEN RACK. I know for broiling your supposed to have it up high, but I always catch stuff on fire that way. I lower the rack a little. Good luck!

ellies mom
07-18-2011, 12:53 AM
OK- We tried the sauteed brussels sprouts with Parmesan cheese drizzled with Balsamic vinegar. For an initial attempt, they were a success. They turned out "over-caramelized" but DD1 still liked them. Which is flippin' huge for her. We are going to try again next week.

Fairy
07-19-2011, 11:30 PM
Is it really possible to overcarmelize anything? I love it the more carmelized it gets. Of course, when I do that, it's never on purpose.

I'll try lowering the rack. :bag

amldaley
07-20-2011, 07:00 PM
Is it really possible to overcarmelize anything? I love it the more carmelized it gets. Of course, when I do that, it's never on purpose.

:yeahthat: Seriously, the carmelization is the best part!!!!