PDA

View Full Version : traveling unexpectedly with snugride and no base?

candaceb
01-06-2011, 09:49 AM
My dad is dying and I am flying home with my baby. We have a seat installed in my mom's car, but my nephew will need it so I have to bring a seat for the first time. I am planning on taking the snugride (reg. 22) without the base. Is there anything I should know about a seatbelt install? I imagine this has been covered before but I have to pack for the baby and myself and leave in 2 hours so I don't have time to look. TIA.

MoJo
01-06-2011, 09:56 AM
In my cars with my Snugride from 2008, it's easy. Thread the belt through the belt space on the top of the carrier. Buckle. Make sure seat is level. Tighten as much as possible. Then, because I have locking seatbelts, pull the strap all the way out and then let it go back, tightening it as much as possible again. Recheck level if needed.

I do this every time I take Ha anywhere, because the seat doesn't fit as well on the base.

Hugs to you on the impending loss of your dad.

Snow mom
01-06-2011, 10:39 AM
I'm so sorry about your dad. P+PT for you and your family. The snugride isn't hard to install if the car has locking belts. PP described it well. Most cars have belts that lock if you pull them all the way out. If the belts don't lock you have to use the locking clip, which IIRC is stored on the back of the seat (although I could be wrong about this--it's been awhile.) It's a metal piece that looks a bit like a H. If you need to use the locking clip you basically want to install as above, then pinch the belt and unbuckle. Put it over the belt next to the buckle to prevent the position from changing and rebuckle. If you end up needing the locking clip have someone else hold the baby while you do it and leave the seat in the car whenever possible. Oh, and once the carseat is installed (either way) give it a little shake to make sure you have less than 1" movement at the belt path. I'd also make sure you have the manual along in case you encounter any questions on your trip.

candaceb
01-07-2011, 07:12 PM
Thank you so much for the responses. I only saw the first response when I left and it was so helpful to have the basic steps in mind when we got to the car at 7PM after traveling all day. Thankfully the car that we were picked up in had a locking belt, so it was pretty easy.
My dad died last night. He had been sick for a year, so it was not a surprise, but it is never easy.

LMPC
01-07-2011, 09:57 PM
I'm really sorry to hear about your dad. Thinking about you and your family tonight! :hug:

bubbaray
01-07-2011, 10:02 PM
I am sorry for your loss.

You have already gotten install advice. I just wanted to assure you that it is perfectly safe (and has been crash tested and passed) to use the seat without the base.

MoJo
01-08-2011, 02:22 AM
So sorry for your loss. :hug:

Joolsplus2
01-08-2011, 09:33 AM
:hug:
Yup, MoJo explained it well.