PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a double that will please both me and my H!

SuperstarNanna
01-06-2011, 07:07 PM
I've been reading through pages and pages of posts for a while as a lurker now, and I think I just need direct input from the stroller gurus! :bowdown: I hope you bear with this novel and can help - I'm trying to give you as much information up front as I can to see if you can give me good suggestions.

We have 2 children and are expecting our third in April (we'll be just shy of 3 under 3). #1 is almost 3 and is 38" and 32 lbs. #2 is 17 months and 31" and 22 lbs and is currently not walking. I am a SAHM and we use our stroller pretty much every day.

We currently have a Baby Trend Sit N Stand Double that, while practical because of its seating configurations, I detest because of its long wheel base, heaviness, difficulty steering, and the space it takes up in the cargo area of my SUV. I do like that it is narrow enough to navigate fairly easily through the mall (though we mainly go just to walk around, not really to navigate racks of clothes while we shop). #2 rides in it happily, and #3, while perfectly happy and able to walk very long distances, does use the platform to sit a fair amount. Neither of my kids are or have been stroller nappers.

I want:
1. a stroller that can accommodate #2 and #3 for primary use with the possibility that it could still fit #1 if he wanted to ride and I could carry #3. My dream would be that I could easily snap in the Graco Snugride infant seat we have, ala Snap N Go, but that's not a deal breaker since I would consider something with a flat fold or just carry baby in the Moby/Beco until she's big enough to go in the stroller with something like a Snuzzler.
2. Easier to push and steer for things like walks around the neighborhood and to the park and around the zoo (we go to the zoo a lot!); we less frequently but still also attend museums and take trips to the mall, etc. I had a BT Expedition jogger that I loved because of how easy it was to push/steer with the air-filled tires. We don't go on any walks right now because the Sit N Stand is so terrible to push around on anything other than completely level concrete.
3. Somewhat decent to fold and put into a vehicle as this will likely be our one and only stroller since the H will probably want me to sell the other strollers that we have to get this one. There are no "garage strollers" in my future, I fear.
4. Something that isn't too long or too wide so that my H can't gripe about how hard it is to steer through doorways while out shopping.

To please my husband, who thinks my quest for a perfect stroller borders on insanity and I should be happy with what I have:
1. Keep the price reasonable (I think I can placate him if I keep it under $450).
2. Make the folded size decent enough so that it doesn't take up too much room in our cargo area and we can fit the stroller and maybe the stuff we pick up on a trip to Costco or the stuff for a weekend trip all in the back of either our old Trailblazer or maybe a minivan.

One more thing: even though we live in the Denver metro area, for some reason we have no stores I can find that carry BJ, MB or Valco strollers for me to see or play with in person, and even the doubles selection at BRU is scant, so I feel like I'm making this decision blind without a chance to play with or test drive any of these. Pretty much everyone here has a BOB - you see them everywhere - but I don't know if that's because it really is the best besides the fact that they seem HUGE and hard to push or if it's just because they are the only ones readily available around here to buy in person.

Thank you all in advance for your thoughts/input - I'm ready to make a decision and stop obsessing over this!

goldenpig
01-06-2011, 07:31 PM
Baby Jogger City Mini Double sounds like it would fit your needs best especially if it's in & out of the car a lot. Compact & easy to fold and maneuver. Bob Duallie & MB Duo have better tires/push but are much bulkier so they're not good car strollers.

momtoax3
01-06-2011, 08:21 PM
A Valco Twin Trimode...you can attach the hitchhiker board too so that all three can ride. Sorry but with doubles I have to say it help so much to see them in person. A BJCMD is a great car/mall double. It is okay on sidewalks. The fold can't be beat!

AnnieW625
01-06-2011, 08:33 PM
One more thing: even though we live in the Denver metro area, for some reason we have no stores I can find that carry BJ, MB or Valco strollers for me to see or play with in person, and even the doubles selection at BRU is scant, so I feel like I'm making this decision blind without a chance to play with or test drive any of these. Pretty much everyone here has a BOB - you see them everywhere - but I don't know if that's because it really is the best besides the fact that they seem HUGE and hard to push or if it's just because they are the only ones readily available around here to buy in person.

Thank you all in advance for your thoughts/input - I'm ready to make a decision and stop obsessing over this!

I live in Long Beach, CA and Baby Jogger City Minis are pretty available but everything else AT but Bob is really hard to find. I have heard wonderful things about the Mountain Buggy strollers, but went with a Bob because I was able to try it with both kids. The Bob is the easiest pushing stroller ever and I have a 35lb 4 yr old, and a 18 lb. 8 mos. old. It does look big and unmanagable, but I have used it in the mall and it's done fine. I really really like the stroller. I don't think you can go wrong with it. I have pushed it mainly with just DD2 in it alone, but I know I could push DD1 in it with no problem and it would still feel smooth. Definitely try it out.

WatchingThemGrow
01-06-2011, 10:28 PM
We had 3 in 36 mos. And...they're all still alive! :yay: Brace yourself, and go get a Baby Jogger City Elite Double, plus an Ergo carrier and a Valco HitchHiker. We keep the BJCED in the back of our van (along with a Mac Triumph or sometimes the Bugaboo) and hit Sam's/Costco all the time. The BJ will last you the longest because the canopy is so high. It reclines completely for the newborn, has the adjustable legrests, amazing canopies, nice tires that work well in grass, gravel, snow, etc. and it clears door with a hair more room than our Bob Duallie did. It folds like a dream, and while it is heavy to lift, it isn't awkward at all. I'm sure if you have found or will find yourself having to carry both of your DC at the same time, you'll think lifting a non-crying/wiggling stroller into the car no problem. I love that we can put a rider on the front and have them lean back/lift their legs when we need to get somewhere quickly or we can stack the two oldest in one seat and they're fine. Seats are nice and deep. We also put the Valco HH board on the back and my middle one thinks it is his seat. He holds the recline straps and puts his feet on the axle to hide down there. works like a charm. The parent console will hold drinks and snack for all 5 of you, plus you can stick a Skip Hop Pronto changer in the underseat storage along with all your purchases, lunchbag or whatever. I :heartbeat: it and can't say enough about it. Yes, the BOB pushes better, but the BJ had more features that made it a winner for us. We saw one on vacation when we were visiting my mom. You can check anywhere you may be visiting in the near future. Best of luck!!!