PDA

View Full Version : anyone deal with PUPPP lately?

kedss
01-06-2011, 09:31 PM
I have what I think is the rash that lasts til you give birth at about 21 weeks,(2 weeks ago). Anyone have anything that helps? If I stay busy I can ignore it, but if I'm actually trying to relax it drives me crazy-

thanks!

twowhat?
01-07-2011, 12:46 AM
I had this when I was pregnant. The itchy red bumps. Insanely itchy. I was bringing ice packs into work trying to numb the skin on my belly!

What worked quite well for me was Sarna lotion (it's a non-steroid anti-itch lotion). You can get it at any drugstore. You might have to ask - Walgreens kept it where you'd find stuff for poison ivy itch relief, burns, etc. instead of with the regular body lotions. Yes, it smells but it really took the edge off of the itching. Once I started using it, I could stop scratching, which allowed my skin some relief from the trauma I was probably causing by scratching, and it remained manageable and went away after I delivered.

kedss
01-07-2011, 01:17 AM
:) thank you- I'll see if I can find it, I really appreciate the help :)

sidmand
01-07-2011, 01:48 PM
I had this when I was pregnant. The itchy red bumps. Insanely itchy. I was bringing ice packs into work trying to numb the skin on my belly!

What worked quite well for me was Sarna lotion (it's a non-steroid anti-itch lotion). You can get it at any drugstore. You might have to ask - Walgreens kept it where you'd find stuff for poison ivy itch relief, burns, etc. instead of with the regular body lotions. Yes, it smells but it really took the edge off of the itching. Once I started using it, I could stop scratching, which allowed my skin some relief from the trauma I was probably causing by scratching, and it remained manageable and went away after I delivered.

I second Sarna lotion. I got PUPPS I was 22 weeks pregnant and after seven doctor visits including two ERs(!)...mine was really really bad but very atypical in that it started so early, like it sounds like yours did, and didn't begin in stretch marks but it was awful. There were also herbal supplements that I ended up taking (I think dandelion root and something else) that my OB didn't want to know I was taking but I seriously don't think I would have made it without them. I believe it usually lasts about six weeks but people usually give birth by the time that six-week period is up but six weeks is about how long it lasted with my 1st pregnancy and seriously, the herbal supplements and Sarna lotion are the only ways I got through it. I know that somehow Pepcid AC also was supposed to relieve some of the itching. I think it's an antihistamine?

Some other natural remedies here: http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/147527/natural-treatment-for-pupps

twowhat?
01-07-2011, 02:03 PM
I second Sarna lotion. I got PUPPS I was 22 weeks pregnant and after seven doctor visits including two ERs(!)...mine was really really bad but very atypical in that it started so early, like it sounds like yours did, and didn't begin in stretch marks but it was awful. There were also herbal supplements that I ended up taking (I think dandelion root and something else) that my OB didn't want to know I was taking but I seriously don't think I would have made it without them. I believe it usually lasts about six weeks but people usually give birth by the time that six-week period is up but six weeks is about how long it lasted with my 1st pregnancy and seriously, the herbal supplements and Sarna lotion are the only ways I got through it. I know that somehow Pepcid AC also was supposed to relieve some of the itching. I think it's an antihistamine?

Some other natural remedies here: http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/147527/natural-treatment-for-pupps

It blocks one of the two histamine receptors so the theory is that combining it with something like Claritin (which blocks the other histamine receptor) might work even better for allergies.

If yours is manageable at this point (and it sounds like it is - if you forget about it when you are distracted and then it's itchy when you're not distracted), start with using Sarna when you want to scratch (try your HARDEST not to scratch - it just starts a vicious itch cycle!). Sarna has this cooling effect on the skin, and just gently rubbing it on was usually enough to take the edge off of the itching so that I didn't go crazy.

Good luck! A derm can also prescribe a steroid ointment if it gets REALLY bad, but obviously that's a last resort.

kedss
01-09-2011, 09:58 AM
thank you ladirs, I really appreciate the advice :)