PDA

View Full Version : how long did it take...

brgnmom
01-07-2011, 03:37 AM
to get your first period after giving birth to your child(ren)?

w/ my first, my cycles were regular after a month or two postpartum even though I was nursing often w/ just one bottle at night. I used my medela PIS to make sure I was making enough breastmilk to compensate for the bottle (of either formula or breastmilk).

w/ my ~2 month old DD, I don't think I've had my first period yet. I had light postpartum bleeding for the first couple of weeks. I'm not on any birth control - I haven't been on the pill before. my DH and I just use condoms, and I'll be the first to admit that we kind of slacked off once. I've been nursing periodically during the day, but mostly bottlefeeding (w/ formula) and I haven't been pumping (as much as I did for my DS). So I was expecting my period sooner this time around, since I'm not exclusively nursing.

Just curious how your experiences were related to when your cycles became regular again and whether they were affected by your choices in nursing and/or supplementing. Thank you. :)

goldenpig
01-07-2011, 03:47 AM
Didn't get one till 14 months with DD, and nothing yet with 9 mo old DS either. I think the night nursing keeps Aunt Flo away for me. They were both EBF with a combo of nursing and pumped milk.

citymama
01-07-2011, 05:29 AM
6 months with DD1
DD2 is now exactly 8 months and nothing yet - but I don't want to jinx myself!

Both are EBFed, but with DD1, I went back to work at around 5 months out of the home, and I think the combination of pumping at work plus introduction of solid foods at 6 months must have dipped my supply. With DD2, she is pretty much getting 99.9% of her food from breastmilk so far (tiny tastes of veggies and fruits don't seem to be adding up to much). Stay away, AF!

essnce629
01-07-2011, 05:37 AM
6 WEEKS postpartum with DS1

5 WEEKS postpartum with DS2

Both were EBF, but I with DS1 I went back to nursing school full time at 3 weeks postpartum so I was pumping (and probably not as often as he would have been nursing) and figured that was why it came back so early.

But with DS2 it came back even earlier and I was a full time SAHM and nursing exclusively around the clock! I was really bummed the second time around!!!!!

WolfpackMom
01-07-2011, 10:18 AM
11.5months and counting right now. Still BFing but only twice a day, I am thinking any day now but I keep having scary pregnancy thoughts enter my brain.

DebbieJ
01-07-2011, 10:44 AM
DS1--14mths
DS2--12 mths

AshleyAnn
01-07-2011, 10:54 AM
I did the same as you described with your second DD and mine came around 10-12 weeks. I had a lot of PP bleeding though and BF for the first 6 weeks. Get some good birth control and USE it you ovulate before your first period so you could very well be fertile now!!!!

bubbaray
01-07-2011, 11:16 AM
4 weeks after I weaned DD#1 at 12m
4 weeks after I weaned DD#2 at 17m

salsah
01-07-2011, 12:47 PM
about two months PP. I exclusively BF (no pumping).

hillview
01-07-2011, 07:30 PM
8 weeks with both boys -- period the exact day I went back to work.
/hillary

ohsara430
01-09-2011, 12:05 AM
about 10 months, DD is EBF

AnnieW625
01-18-2011, 04:35 PM
DD1: 3 mos. old; I had been on the breast feeding birth control for 4 weeks, and was breast feeding, and pumping any missed feedings (usually one a night as DH gave her a bottle of formula or breast milk). DD1 weaned 1 week shy of 4 mos. old.

DD2: 4 mos. old; no bfing birth control, and I had weaned DD2 three weeks prior. I also pumped any missed feedings, and occaisionally in the middle night when I got really full as DD2 was sleeping through the night at 2 mos. old.

FWIW, DD2 is a product of DH and I slacking off. I would take a test just to make sure. Good luck.

momtoonegirl
01-18-2011, 11:34 PM
With DD, AF returned when she was 3 months old. I was SAHM and nursing round the clock every three hours.

With DS, AF returned when he was 4 months old. I am WOTH full time, and DS has been taking bottles of formula during the day since he was 7 weeks old. He still nurses in the evenings and early mornings.

Momof3Labs
01-19-2011, 12:00 AM
DS1 - 12 months
DS2 - 12 months
DDs - 17.5 months and counting (and counting and counting - I hope)

All are/were BF'd well past a year, and I am still EPing for the girls (though they are getting more out of the freezer stash these days than fresh).

♥ms.pacman♥
01-19-2011, 12:51 AM
6 weeks post-partum. exclusively BF every 3 hours round the clock...extremely minimal pumping. i was very bummed it came back so early. tho few mos later i wanted to get pg right away so i guess it was a blessing. :)

brgnmom
01-19-2011, 01:36 AM
thank you all for your replies. :)

it's interesting and reassuring to hear the variability, depending on whether you choose to EBF, supplement, or FF exclusively.

well I'm nine+ weeks postpartum and my AF hasn't returned. my DD just started sleeping through the night a couple of days ago (*knocks on wood*) for about 6 hours. w/ DS, my AF returned at about 5 weeks postpartum, and I was primarily nursing him and not formula feeding him as much as I have with my DD.

Please feel free to continue to respond to the original post/question if you'd like. ;)