PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite Lego Sets?

katydid1971
01-07-2011, 02:04 PM
DS has only been into Legos since this summer so I'm still learning the ins and outs of Legos. We started him on the Lego City stuff and I really love it. The details they include are so cute. I didn't realize that so much of it would be discontinued at the end of the year, I really wanted to get the construction stuff but I got to the online sale to late. I know new stuff will be coming out but just wondering what set you love and which you aren't so wild about. DS loves the toy story stuff but I am not as impressed with it (maybe I've had toy story overload). DS is starting to get into the Star Wars sets but I think their colors are boring (white and gray over and over). I love the Harry Potter stuff but DS hasn't even heard of him. The Altlantis line kind of scares me. That manta ray person is very creepy looking. I'm also not excited about the Ninja line, too violent. Would love to hear you opinion.

RunnerDuck
01-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Naturally the sets I loved best for that age have been d/c'ed... construction and emergency vehicles, nice but simpler than Lego city...

What is really really really cool to keep in mind in a few years though - my son is 7 - is this set from Klutz - my son got it for his BDay last year and he had a tong of fun with it.

http://www.klutz.com/book/Lego-Crazy-Action-Contraptions

You might snag one now and store it away.

http://www.amazon.com/Lego-4517419-LEGO%C2%AE-Road-Construction/dp/B000WOBBAC/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1294423950&sr=1-1

That is one of the ones we have and love but it was $20 when I bought it ...

eta - one thing I have found about legos is their age ranges are questionable... we got my son a 5-12 set when he was 5 but it was way too frustrating for him - the city fire station... he likes it now, though. I feel like you want to buy a year or two younger, or stick with a small set... the big stuff is overwhelming...

o_mom
01-07-2011, 02:51 PM
What I like and what DS's like... well, they can be two different things, lol.

I like the Creator sets that can be rebuilt into several things. I tend to like the more 'generic' stuff. They, OTOH, love Star Wars and Harry Potter. They like the Kingdom stuff, too, which I don't mind, so I compromise there. DS1 just asked for the log cabin, as well, so I may have to get one of those. We have a few random Power Miners and other stuff, but the big stuff is mainly Creator or City. I wish they were old enough to be interested in the Architecture stuff. :)

GaPeach_in_Ca
01-07-2011, 02:55 PM
My son loves Atlantis the most. I really like it, too, actually. I think it's fun. I think he's on the verge of moving to Star Wars, though. He thinks the ninjitsu line looks good, too. I wouldn't classify it as too violent for us.

I like the City, but he's over that mostly. Last year I got him the City Corner for Christmas and he liked it, but he said he would not like more. This year he got the Portal of Atlantis.

I like the Creator ones, too. I just picked one up at Target for 50% off, the ferocious creature.

My nephew's favorite is Power Miners. He is just about to turn 6.