PDA

View Full Version : DS Afraid of the toilet

happi
01-07-2011, 05:06 PM
My son is afraid of the toilet. What can I do? We decided after the new year we were going to seriously start trying to get him to poop in the potty. So the other evening when he went to his room, to do his thing, I grabbed him and took his pants off to put him on the toilet. Of course he cried and kicked and didn't want to go while telling me that it was scary. He ended up not going at all that evening. What can I do to help him?
thanks

PunkyBoo
01-07-2011, 05:55 PM
How old is he? We have a book that my boys love to read called Potty Time for Boys that talks about being afraid of the flushing sound, and it has a little button you push to hear the sound of a flush. Yeah, kinda offensive as an adult, but it helped Punkin when he was potty training and Boo already loves to push the button and point to the potty.

SoloMelody
01-07-2011, 06:04 PM
DD at 25 months said she was scared to go potty. She said that she would fall into it. We were using a potty seat on the regular potty. Turned out we DH had put her directly on the potty without the seat and that had triggered that I am falling into it fear!

We regressed for a month, she refused to go even with the potty seat on. Slowly she is back to going in it now....

Dont know if this helps with a boy.

Can you figure out what he is afraid of?

PS- DD loves flushing, thats one thing she has always loved doing, whether she went potty or not!

twowhat?
01-07-2011, 06:10 PM
How old is he? Mine are 27 months and both will pee on the potty and one will consistently poop on the potty now. They were afraid at first too but at their daycare the teachers make a big deal out of getting everyone to sit on the potty for a couple minutes, then wash hands afterwards and I think that seeing everyone else doing it probably helped. At home, we were really careful not to push it and to encourage and praise for wanting to be around the potty, to try to sit on it, to flush it, etc. We also let them watch us do ALLL our business on the potty and let them flush it:) If they did sit on it, we'd sit with them and read books.

Definitely get a potty seat to take away the fear of falling in. I've tried putting our girls on the toilet without the potty seat and they immediately wanted OFF!!! The Bjorn Toilet Trainer is just great.

RunnerDuck
01-07-2011, 06:19 PM
We tried to skip the potty and do insert/toilet with my son but he freaked out - he was much happier on a small potty. My top choice ever is the Graco soft rewards but it has been DC'ed - the Primo 4 in 1 is similar. We have 2 Gracos, 1 Primo. They're a good size and become an insert/step stool combo.