PDA

View Full Version : vaseline in hair = bad idea

annaelise
01-07-2011, 09:38 PM
ok so I am smacking my head right now...

My baby gets these flakes on her scalp - not really like cradle cap, more like dry skin. I kind of obsess about them sometimes wanting to get rid of them...I brush her hair to try to loosen them and occasionally apply olive oil and then wash it out and it really helps. BUT today I had the "bright" idea to put a little vaseline on the front of her scalp where it was very flaky.

Flakes gone. Vaseline, here to stay. I thought it would wash out like olive oil but NOPE. I didn't try any extreme measures because I didn'tw\ want to irritate or further dry out baby's scalp. So I put her to bed with greasy vaseliney hair.

Anyone have a tried and true method to getting vaseline out with minimal irritation? I'm going to my MIL's house tomorrow and don't want to have to explain DD's greasy hair to her lol

thanks!

RunnerDuck
01-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Dawn will take out vaseline. it will also take out motor oil, should you ever need to remove that. It's not exactly gentle but it's not like you're gonna soak her in it over night. :-)

Just be very careful about the eyes, and maybe follow up with something gentle and conditiony.

LMPC
01-07-2011, 09:42 PM
I just wanted to add that you should write this one down in the baby book, because this is the kind of thing that will seem very very funny in the future, I promise!

RunnerDuck
01-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Oh vaseline is never funny.

Apparantly when I was a kid I got into a jar of vaseline and smeared it all over my wall as far as I could reach. I then took a container of baby powder and shook it all over that. So every time MY kids do something I get, "Remember the time you took the vaseline..."

yes, I remember. is the debt never repaid???

:ROTFLMAO:

LMPC
01-07-2011, 09:46 PM
Oh vaseline is never funny.

Apparantly when I was a kid I got into a jar of vaseline and smeared it all over my wall as far as I could reach. I then took a container of baby powder and shook it all over that. So every time MY kids do something I get, "Remember the time you took the vaseline..."

That's hilarious! And very creative!

MichelleRC
01-07-2011, 09:56 PM
My now 8 year old slathered his thick hair in Vaseline when he was about 3. He looked like the Fonz. I think I posted about it here and got many helpful suggestions on how to remove Vaseline.
What worked was a clarifying shampoo--the kind used to remove a build-up of styling product. I used Pantene, it took 2 or 3 shampoos, but it eventually worked.
Good luck!

Indianamom2
01-07-2011, 10:43 PM
My DD put a large amount of vasoline in her hair (and all over her dresser...and the walls) when she was about 3. She had climbed into her top small dresser drawer and was sitting there, going through the contents (which I didn't think she could access!).

It took a lot of washing, but it did eventually come out. Sort of funny (but not) at the time...much funnier now.

lalasmama
01-08-2011, 01:50 AM
Liquid dish soap :) It's meant to cut through the grease!

When my sister was pregnant, we lathered her in vaseline before doing a belly cast. That's when we figured out that dish soap works well.