PDA

View Full Version : Token/gifts for nurses &/or ob?

jenrub
01-08-2011, 07:05 PM
I read somewhere (I couldn't remember where) to pack a box of chocolates in the hospital bag to give to the nurses as an appreciation gift after you've delivered. Is that standard or just depends on the person? What about the doctor? When we went to our childbirth prep class we were told to take a pix with the nurses & doctor as formality and appreciation. Have any of you guys brought/sent appreciation gifts/tokens to the nurses &/or ob? If you did, what items are acceptable?

wellyes
01-08-2011, 07:23 PM
I'm sure it would be appreciated but it is not standard from what i've seen. I've never heard of anyone doing it aside from one or two posts here. No expectation for it on the medical profession's end at all.

lhafer
01-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Not sure for OB nurses/docs, but I will respond as a NICU nurse.

If the parents want to give me a thank you token - I most appreciated just a thank you note. Of course, chocolates and the like are always welcomed as well.

I can only speak for the hospital where I worked - others may have different policies. But our merit raises were based on our "performance" as a nurse. It's really hard to judge that as a supervisor. As part of our evaluations, we were supposed to give examples and such of how we went above and beyond. Having a physical thank you note allowed me show my supervisor that I was appreciated by my patients' families. I got thank yous, and I appreciate yous all the time from parents. But rarely anything I could actually use as "evidence" (for lack of a better term) for my evals. And I'm not about to ask a parent to give me one!!

But I think anything you want to give would be fantastic. Nurses always appreciate positive feedback from our patients. It makes us feel like what we do is appreciated. But it's also never expected.

ohsara430
01-08-2011, 07:30 PM
Definitely not standard practice where we are, I think it's a personal preference thing.

I actually had a few outstanding, and I mean outstanding nursers, who went way above and beyond for us so I asked if there was anyone I could contact to say how much I appreciated them and they gave me a the contact information. I sent (via email) very complimentary note to the head nurse who said she passed it along to hospital admin so it could be put in HR files. I told the nurses I was doing this and they were very appreciative since usually only gripes and reprimands are "reported".

SnuggleBuggles
01-08-2011, 07:40 PM
No, I have never heard of either a gift or a photo.

Beth

JBaxter
01-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Never did it with my 4. I dont know of anyone who has either

zag95
01-08-2011, 08:37 PM
As a former HR recruiter in healthcare, I would recommend writing a letter highlighting the great care/experience of delivery on the unit. This is something that can be placed in the employee's file and used during the eval time.

I have written several letters, for care of myself and/or my family, and staff always appreciate those kind words.

After the birth of our daughter, we did return and leave a box of chocolates as well- the nurses loved it!

Jacksmommy2b
01-08-2011, 10:20 PM
Sam was born at 4 AM so later that morning M brought back donuts and coffees for our nurses.

I also wrote a thank you note to the two nurses that went above and beyond and included that in the birth announcement I sent to the nurses station.

(I never would have thought to send them an announcement but one of the nurses overheard me discussing them and mentioned how much the nurses love to get them and see the babies again. I also ended up sending them our xmas card this year. :)

LMPC
01-08-2011, 10:24 PM
I didn't do a gift, but I did take pix with my OB and a particularly wonderful CNA. I sent the CNA the picture and a nice note specifically stating what I felt she had helped me with. I gave my OB pix at my 6 week check up -- it was for his picture wall.

indigo99
01-08-2011, 11:04 PM
I sent a copy of our birth announcement to the ob office with a letter of gratitude inside. I actually had a pretty bad experience in the hospital and tried to write it all down on the evaluation form that they sent me a few weeks later. For the most part, my nurses just made me want to go home early. (luckily, my labor and delivery nurse was good but the rest were pretty bad and one made me cry because she was so mean even after DH told her to back off)

sadie427
01-08-2011, 11:59 PM
Absolutely nothing is expected or required, but if you have a good experience a letter or card to the provider or unit is always appreciated. I have kept every letter a patient or family member has written me. Food is nice, but tends to be eaten really quickly and might not be remembered in the same way.

Myira
01-09-2011, 12:08 AM
DDs birth was so stressful, so I would have loved to but unfortunately could not get a pic with my OB\nurses. But I did mention really positive feedback and appreciation for the nurses that gave me much needed support and showed kindness on the feedback form given by the hospital before release.

I would have loved to atleast say a thank you in person to them, but they kept rotating and I went home on a weekend when there weren't many of the ones I wanted to thank around.

anamika
01-09-2011, 12:09 AM
After the birth of our daughter, we did return and leave a box of chocolates as well- the nurses loved it!

DH dropped off chocolates too. ANd maybe a pic of DD with the nurse - can't remember exactly.