PDA

View Full Version : Kids who love animals- what TV shows or series do you recommend

liz
01-08-2011, 09:51 PM
DS1 is really into animals and nature. He likes fact based shows and reads tons of books on animals. He got the Planet Earth DVD series for Christmas and really loves it.

Any recommendations for TV shows or series? I would love to encourage his desire to learn and am trying to find something to DVR for him.

liz
01-09-2011, 11:49 AM
:BUMP:

bumping.....

MrsZaz
01-09-2011, 12:15 PM
My DS(6) loves Bindi the jungle girl :)

Colleen

kedss
01-09-2011, 12:26 PM
My 7 year old son loves this show:
http://www.pbs.org/parents/wildkratts/

Melaine
01-09-2011, 12:54 PM
My kids loved Milo and Otis. Be aware that it shows animal birth scenes fairly graphically though. It is cute however.
On a totally different note, they also love Wonderpets.

KpbS
01-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Zoboomafoo is a great show if you can find it. It was a PBS show originally and I think it is on Sprout now. (It features the Kratt brothers--the ones with a new show on PBS mentioned by PP).

wolverine2
01-09-2011, 01:41 PM
My 6 year old also loves Wild Kratts, which started last week on PBS.

thomma
01-09-2011, 02:40 PM
wild kratts is new and both of my kids like it

dd likes zaboomafoo and mama mirabelle but ds doesn't

both also like bindi the jungle girl...I find her a tad annoying though ;)

Kim
ds&dd-7 1/2!

PunkyBoo
01-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Punkin is VERY into animals and loved Zooboomafoo. Now his favorite is pretty much anything on NatGeo Wild channel. Some of it is kinda intense and/or graphic, but he gets that animals eat animals. His favorites of all the shows are Dangerous Encounters with Brady Barr and Swamp Men.

Pyrodjm
01-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Another vote for Zooboomafoo .

StantonHyde
01-09-2011, 11:38 PM
Not a DVD, but have you checked out teh National Geographic website--it has teh COOLEST videos. Check out "Shrew vs. Scorpion". My kids could watch these for a couple of hours--they are really good! I just have to sit there with them to navigate through the various videos.

713abc
01-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Both DS's (age 3 and 7) are obsessed with Dino Dan and Dinosaur Train. It is all they are watching right now.

Robin

infocrazy
01-10-2011, 03:18 PM
My DS(6) loves Bindi the jungle girl :)

My boys like her too...but I find the non-animal portion kind of creepy...Like her back-up dancing zookeepers that are adult men...one time they came to her house for a "sleepover". I think she should have kid dancers/friends/etc...but maybe it's just me...

Punkin is VERY into animals and loved Zooboomafoo. Now his favorite is pretty much anything on NatGeo Wild channel. Some of it is kinda intense and/or graphic, but he gets that animals eat animals. His favorites of all the shows are Dangerous Encounters with Brady Barr and Swamp Men.

Zooboomafoo is cool, I'll have to check out the new PBS one...they love Animal Planet and don't mind the graphic stuff. I came home once and saw DS and DH watching a lion eat a gazelle. DS said, that lion is hungry, hungry, hungry! ...ok...

liz
01-10-2011, 10:02 PM
My boys like her too...but I find the non-animal portion kind of creepy...Like her back-up dancing zookeepers that are adult men...one time they came to her house for a "sleepover". I think she should have kid dancers/friends/etc...but maybe it's just me...

:ROTFLMAO: I have never seen this show, but that is a terrible visual you have given me!

FWIW, I couldn't find this show on my cable line up (boo!), but I have TIVO'd Zoboomafoo and the Wild Kratts show. We went to the library tonight and got March of the Penguins.

Thanks for all the replies. I have to say that I was surprised that there weren't more shows on TV that were geared towards young kids. I'll take more suggestions if anyone has them!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
01-11-2011, 12:26 AM
We like Meerkat Manor... Like an animal soap opera. Dogs 101 is good, too.