PDA

View Full Version : Spokeo.com

Pennylane
01-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Have you pulled up your name there? Someone on facebook just posted about it, so I pulled up myself and my DH. It had our address, cell phone numbers, picture of our house, value, etc. Creepy!

If you click on the privacy button on the bottom you can remove your info.

It also had the last two places we lived!

Ann

infomama
01-08-2011, 10:50 PM
Yep and Spokeo isn't the only one. Zabasearch.com is another big one.

Pennylane
01-08-2011, 10:54 PM
I had no idea that info was out there. I mean , you could see the license plate numbers on our cars. Way too much info!

Ann

infomama
01-08-2011, 10:56 PM
I agree. Totally not cool.

Pennylane
01-08-2011, 10:57 PM
Just checked the other one you listed and you have to fax your driver license to them to have it removed...Guess I will just have to leave that one.

Ann

lalasmama
01-08-2011, 10:58 PM
How in the world I'm not on there is beyond me... but I'm pleased :)

kozachka
01-09-2011, 03:46 AM
I had similar experience - one of my Facebook friends has posted about Spokeo, and I had my, DH and MIL names removed from it. I also alerted my co-workers about it.

JenaW
01-09-2011, 08:15 AM
Did u have to create an acct and pay the $2.95 to see pics and get the info? My name comes up but only with basic info (addy, home ph, zillow type home info). It has dh as a clerical worker (he's a physician) and me as unemployed (I'm not) and our house and income info is underestimated. Nothing too scary asfar as I'm concerned, tho I certainly would not like it if the other info was available or more accurate.

amldaley
01-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Spokeo is a big enough worry that it has made it's way through to be circulated around the Marine Corps with warnings, etc. Marines in both my unit & DH's have been instructed how to be removed and encouraged to do so.

You don't have to pay the $2.95 to be removed, but you do have to go in to each section or category listed and request to be removed...I think it is 5 or 6 sections.

My biggest issue is the IP addresses. I don't like any programs (like Facebook's new geo application) that tracks where I am or where I have been.

KrisM
01-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Isn't that site just mining other sites? I can get views of my house on Google maps or Bing maps. I can get my house value off Zillow. It seems like all the info they show is other places and just pulled together. If you're removing yourself from there, are you also being removed from Google maps, etc?

JustMe
01-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Oh my goodness! I have never heard of this site (I'm not even on Facebook for privacy reasons)! Thank you so much for posting this. I just removed myself from their seach engine...but zabasearch says I actually have to fax them a copy of my drivers license (although you can block out your address and #) to be removed.

What other sites like this exist? It is not cool for my address to be that accessible (sp?).

SnuggleBuggles
01-09-2011, 02:18 PM
I don't think I trust it, the Spokeo site. I worry that by going there that it'll make me vulnerable in some way. Anyone have thoughts on the legitimacy and safety of that site, assuming I don't pay them money?

Beth

MontrealMum
01-09-2011, 02:22 PM
Isn't that site just mining other sites? I can get views of my house on Google maps or Bing maps. I can get my house value off Zillow. It seems like all the info they show is other places and just pulled together. If you're removing yourself from there, are you also being removed from Google maps, etc?

You're totally right, Kris. That's what the site does. And if you go in and remove yourself it does tell you that you'll only be removed from spokeo, not those sites where the information was originally found. Though I do think that it's a heck of a lot easier for someone to just use spokeo if they want to find that sort of stuff out about you than to wade through all the other diverse sites out there. So, it's worth if to take yourself off and make it a little harder ;)

infomama
01-09-2011, 02:26 PM
I don't think I trust it, the Spokeo site. I worry that by going there that it'll make me vulnerable in some way. Anyone have thoughts on the legitimacy and safety of that site, assuming I don't pay them money?

Beth
Spokeo is a legitimate site. Here is how sites like that build their information base:

From Spokeo: "Spokeo aggregates data from over 50 types of sources. Some sources (phone books, real estate listings, etc.) are fairly accurate, whereas the other sources (online surveys, marketing lists, etc.), are not. Spokeo does not originate or create data, so Spokeo data is only as good as its original sources. Spokeo does not guarantee data accuracy, and its data should only be used as a reference."

You can request to be blocked from searches on these sites but if (for example) buy a new house or list a new phone number *after* you request to be removed that information is fair game. So it's a revolving door. Plus...the information that is "out there"...that Spokeo mined to put on their site is still out there...that can't be removed/blocked.

I fully endorse Reputation Defender.