PDA

View Full Version : Final decision: BJCMD or BJCED

SuperstarNanna
01-09-2011, 01:46 AM
Thanks for those who gave me feedback on my post below. After reviewing and talking to my H - and getting to play with a BCJM single at BRU tonight - I think I have my H in agreement that one of these is the way to go.

We currently have 2 kiddos and are expecting our third this spring. At that time the older kids will be 3 years old and 20 months old respectively.

I use my stroller mostly for typical suburban SAHM trips: to the mall (mainly to walk, not to push through the stores and actually shop), to the zoo (which we do a ton), to the museum, Target, neighborhood walks to the park, etc. My stroller absolutely will be loaded in and out of the car a lot so the ease of fold and the folded size are considerations.

#1 fit ok in the BJCM tonight, though his head did touch the folded part of the canopy while open (he had clearance with it closed). He obviously won't be the primary user of the stroller, but I'm concerned about the potential height issue, especially as #2 grows.

Is there any reason we should consider shelling out the extra money for the slightly larger Elite (I'm assuming it's a bit bigger based on the dimensions I found online)? I have never seen an Elite in person so I'm unsure if there are any other advantages to choosing it over the Mini.

General thoughts?

momtoax3
01-09-2011, 02:28 AM
I have the BJCMD and tried out the Elite. The bjced is quite a bit heavier and a lot taller. I consider myself to have decent upper body strength, but I would not want to be lifting it in and out of the car often! For your use, the BJCMD is the way to go between the two.

twowhat?
01-09-2011, 02:37 AM
If you're going to be lifting it in and out of the car that often, definitely the BJCMD. We have both. Our BJCMD stays in the car. I cannot imagine lifting the BJCED on a daily basis. I don't even like to fold it because it takes some wrangling to get it to fold as flat as possible (turning the wheels a certain way, making sure all baskets are empty and the fabric bunches up in the right spots, etc). And it is HEAVY.

For your taller child, I believe that you can unclip the sunshade on his side on shady days if it gets to be a problem on the BJCMD.

roseyloxs
01-09-2011, 02:47 AM
Joining the choir. BJCMD. The elite is very nice but in double form weighs something like 47 lbs.

Mrs.Christie
01-09-2011, 02:48 AM
I saw an elite double for the first time today and I was impressed. The seats were more padded, it had pop up foot rests, built in parent console and multiple magnetic closure windows/ vents. The tires and suspension were also way better. I didn't fold and lift it, but I have transported the city mini double. I know it is lighter than the elite, but not sure how much of a difference it would really make. The city mini double is still heavy and large IMO. Also, there's no way I would want to take the mini on outdoor walks. It is fine for indoor use, but I like better tires for outside.

roseyloxs
01-09-2011, 03:02 AM
Air tires and suspension are nice for outdoor walks. Do you have a half way decent CL? I might look for an old mountain buggy or valco. I see those go pretty low and then you can afford a BJCMD for the car and an AT for neighborhood walks.

poohbear
01-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Well, I'll start by saying I don't have experience with doubles, but I do have a BJCM and a BOB. I would not enjoy putting the BOB in my car. My BJCM is okay for neighborhood walks and it would work, but I much prefer the BOB (we don't have well maintained sidewalks and often have to go on grass and bumpy streets in my neighborhood). If your main purpose is going to be in and out of the car and malls and such, I'd go BJCMD, and go with Roseyloxs suggestion of picking up an AT double on CL for neighborhood walks. If your sidewalks are well maintained, the BJCMD will be fine, I just wouldn't do bumpy roads or trails with it...

HTH!

FWIW - when the 2011 BJCMDs come out, the 2010s will most likely be discounted. Earlier this week, they were $344 on albeebaby, though they have since gone back up to 399, but I would imagine as they stock the 2011s, the 2010s will be about 15% off. They are missing the pe boards (about $10-12 each or you can make your own)...

blondflava
01-09-2011, 12:03 PM
I agree that City Mini would be enough for those trips you mentioned. 47 lbs sound like a LOT to lug in and out of the trunk on a daily basis. It bothered me with with my Indie which weighs a little over 20 lbs. I just got a BJCM (single) to stay in the car for my SAHM trips to zoo, walks over the boardwalk and parks - it's definitely enough stroller for that. If any terrain walking, I'd advise AT, there are deals on MBs on CL, as others mentioned, worth checking!

TwinFoxes
01-09-2011, 12:11 PM
The only reason I didn't get a BJCED instead of the BJCMD is because of the extra weight. I have twins, so there was no option of wearing one kid and having the other walk. They both couldn't walk, and I couldn't wear them both. Dragging a heavier stroller out of my trunk multiple times a day made the decision for me. I love my BJCMD, it's perfect for what I use it for regularly (mall, walk to park, even walking around museums and along the National Mall in DC). In addition to being heavier, it's also longer so I would think it'd be a little harder to maneuver in and out of a car. I'm tall, and I still didn't want to have to deal with it. :)

jacksmoma
01-09-2011, 12:18 PM
something to consider is the eldest (3) can hitch a ride on the footwell of the elite; there is no area for him to do that on the bjcmd. i've had both (several times!) and the elite has taller much more padded seats; it is much better if you plan on walking outside much. the mini is more of an errand/car double. the elite is actually 48 lbs (weighed it myself at this and so have others...)while the bjcmd is 27 lbs. personally i'd do the double bob since it has all the fetaures and more of the elite and is only 32 lbs :) there is a reason the bobs are so popular!

purpelina
01-09-2011, 01:13 PM
I had a baby jogger SINGLE, and didn't want to deal with it's weight, so I sold it. For car definitely city mini.
As for all terrain double agree with bob suggestion. Or get a single with ride on board...

RunnerDuck
01-09-2011, 04:51 PM
I would go with the elite. I don't care for the minis at all. They are super pricey, but they are small, and despite have the baby jogger name, they lack any sort of all terrain ability. I looked at them a while back but ultimately went with a bob as my side by side double. It's a bit of a pain to get in and out of my van - but primarily because of Bob's stupid lack of easy means to keep it folded. It does fit behind the 3 row of my van so even though it's huge I can have my van full of people and still fit the stroller. I don't know how the elite compares to the bob but I would go with long term use + versatility over ease of getting into a car, when the getting it into the car isn't THAT hard. (You want hard to get into a car, check out the inglesina Domino... holy pain in the butt batman... I had one for a while, loading a hippopatamus in the van is easy after that...)

arivecchi
01-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Ocassional car use = BJCED will be fine

Frequent car use = BJCMD

I would not take a Duallie into an indoor mall.

RunnerDuck
01-09-2011, 05:28 PM
I actually wasn't meaning to say get a dualie, just I like the versatility and long range use over limited use of the mini - elite would fit the bill, too. But I have taken my dualie in malls with no problems. You just have to stay out of Claire's boutique. I think they try to subtly tell you if you are this wide or pushing this many kids you don't belong here - ha!

SuperstarNanna
01-09-2011, 07:55 PM
Thanks everyone! :bowdown: I'm going to start scouring the sales to see if I can score a good deal on a 2010 bjcmd (I knew about the pe seat thing, but that seems to be a decently easy fix to do to save the cash shelling out for the newer model).

I'm also going to check out our local REI garage sale in a few weeks and keep an eye on CL in hopes I can score a killer deal on a Duallie to have on hand for neighborhood navigation.

WatchingThemGrow
01-09-2011, 08:03 PM
Elite. I have both, and I have 3 DC. The mini does the job for two small children, but when I have all 3 with me and need one stroller, the Elite is the one I take. We have a Valco HitchHiker board on the back, and either of my big DC sit underneath and hold onto the recline straps. Their feet rest on the bars by the basket. I can still push it with one hand while it holds the weight of all 3, outside. The mini, when full loaded takes a good bit of effort to push. Right at the end of my 3rd pregnancy, I was getting tired of lifting the BJCED and DH got the Mini for free from a friend's shop. As soon as #3 was here and I was okay to lift stuff again, the BJCED went back in the van. The Mini is handy for sure, but places like Costco, Target, etc. have double carts. Honestly, though, I really stay away from places like that when I have all 3 unless absolutely necessary. I keep a Maclaren Triumph and an Ergo in the car so I can put someone on my front or back and push a single when needed. Later, I trained the older ones to hold onto the frame of the Mac, and that's been pretty handy. you can't really do that with a 20 month old though.

The Elite Double will definitely be the last stroller we get rid of. It has the highest canopy, and the easiest push for taking a bunch of kid weight around a place like the zoo. We actually fly with ours because we do lots of outdoor activities when we visit my mom. We recently took the Mini to Disney and I was so bummed to see most of the rentals were Elites and City Classics, that I'd left at home.

Oh, I've had a BOB Duallie also because I was waiting for the Elite to come out. I had it for a few months and sold it to a friend. The BJ was just a better fit for us because of the higher seatback, the more compact fold, and the adjustable handlebar. The parent console and extra storage on it is just great too!

wife&momof3
01-10-2011, 10:10 PM
I am currently facing the same question BJCMD or BJCED. Hy Hubby and I went stroller shopping this weekend and this is what we narrowed it down to. (I had already read the stroller chapter and the message boards to research before I went). The weight concerns me, but I have tall, sturdy children & feel like the size difference is worth it. My 3-year-old is 43 inches tall and weighs 50 lbs(ish). I also have a 13 month old and one due in February. Also, I will NOT be buying another stroller after this one. I have a Graco Metrolite that was part of my travel system that is still useful.

Questions:
-Are there any notable differenced on either between the 2009, 2010, & 2011 models in case I buy a previous year?
-IMO the storage basket SUCKS. Is the Elite double better than the Elite single or City Double? Suggestions on what to do about storing the newborn's diaper bag?
-uses: mall, vacay, neighborhood walks, park, possibly grocery stores, etc (My oldest is in pre-k, but the younger 2 will be home with me for another 18 months till my middle one starts pre-school)
-also might use it at my mom's house out in the country. Flat grass & gravel roads

Thanks guys!!!

WatchingThemGrow
01-10-2011, 10:18 PM
Questions:
-Are there any notable differenced on either between the 2009, 2010, & 2011 models in case I buy a previous year?
-IMO the storage basket SUCKS. Is the Elite double better than the Elite single or City Double? Suggestions on what to do about storing the newborn's diaper bag?

Our Elite is a 2008, and in 2009 they changed the wheels to a black polymer instead of metal. That was a plus as there were suspension noises with the metal ones. I'm not sure about 2010 and 2011. Our Mini double is a 2009.

I've never had anything but awe about the storage capacity. Our biggest diaper bag is a Skip Hop Dash, which can hang from the handle of the elite. I've used the Lands End Little Tripper in the bottom, and maybe I've stuck the Dash down there, but we don't usually use a big bag. Usually, we just have the Skip Hop Pronto underneath and drinks for the 5 of us in the cupholders in the parent console. I keep hats behind the seats, a Mama Hook to clip any shopping bags if a kid is not riding under the stroller on the Valco board. Reaching into the basket through the leg rest flaps is very handy, so we sometimes have loose toys down in the basket. I can fit an insane amount of groceries under that stroller as long as they aren't overpacked in bags.

The Mini is light and very useful, but I just do not love pushing my bigger kids around in it.

wife&momof3
01-18-2011, 04:08 PM
When I saw the mini double in stores I thought I remembered seeing a support bar across the back directly in front of the storage basket. This left about 4 inches to squeeze bags into the basket. Do you come from a different angle? How do you actually get things into the basket?

twowhat?
01-18-2011, 04:48 PM
When I saw the mini double in stores I thought I remembered seeing a support bar across the back directly in front of the storage basket. This left about 4 inches to squeeze bags into the basket. Do you come from a different angle? How do you actually get things into the basket?

From the side. We always hang the diaper bag off the handle, and only toss smaller things in the basket underneath.

WatchingThemGrow
01-18-2011, 05:18 PM
and, we use smaller bags - skip hop pronto for diapers, lunchbox for food. We leave a change of clothes in the car.