PDA

View Full Version : 4 wheels vs 3...wheelbarrowing?

amldaley
01-09-2011, 09:54 AM
Ok, so every time I ask about a stroller, many answers point to BJ (and sometimes Valco). But I am paranoid about the front wheel. I am worried I will end up wheelbarrowing DD or tipping to one side.

What is your experience with this? Am I worrying about nothing or is this something that does happen?

(P.S. I am a major klutz).

crl
01-09-2011, 10:43 AM
I have had two three wheel strollers, a BOB and a MB Swift. Combined I've logged over 5000 miles with them. I've never tipped one over, even going over curbs, through snow, etc. I find them as easy, or really easier, to steer than the 4 wheel umbrella strollers I own.

Catherine

scriptkitten
01-09-2011, 10:46 AM
i've never tipped any of my 3 wheelers over sideways and i'm pretty adventurous. i've run my BOB through wooded property, ditches and hills.

mezzona
01-09-2011, 10:55 AM
It's really only wheelbarrowing if both back wheels are of the ground, you know? So yes, I have nearly lost balance with my bob when the front wheel was not fixed and I lifted both rear wheels off the ground. And that happened because I was trying to go down the stairs the wrong way. Duh on my part.

gamma
01-09-2011, 01:38 PM
If you always go down curbs and stairs by bouncing down on the 2 rear tires, you will be fine!

salsah
01-09-2011, 01:51 PM
you'll be fine. you are right though. three wheels are less stable than four. the only time it might be an issue is when going up a curb. for a second, you will have the stroller on just the front wheel. but you'll have a tight grip on the stroller as you lift it up the curb so it shouldn't be a problem. I have heard that it's worse on doubles because the stroller is heavier and wider in back. The bob, with one front wheel, is tippier than other doubles that have two front wheels.

just be sure that you go up curbs forward and go down curbs backwards.

RunnerDuck
01-09-2011, 02:17 PM
The only time I ever had an issue ... you know if you are next to something in a 4 wheel stroller (ie basic Graco) you can kind of scootch it sideways to clear room on the other side? If you try to scootch a 3 wheel it will just lean. I did this with a Valco single with the toddler seat on, wasn't sure if it was top heavy or just due to being 3 wheel. But otherwise even with the top heaviness of the toddler seat on I never tipped a 3 wheel.

In contrast I did come VERY close to tipping both kids out of my graco quattro duo trying to push it up hill diagonally on gravel. Gravel, hills, toddlers, and tandems - do not mix these things.

ThreeofUs
01-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Is it possible? sure. But we have 2 BOBs with single front wheels and have never done anything remotely like wheelbarrowing. I think because so much weight is over the back wheels and so little over the front wheel that it's a really *hard* thing to do, kwim?

Three points define a plane. You'd be surprised what physics says about how many times a 4-wheel vehicle is actually riding on three of its wheels.