PDA

View Full Version : Fontanel (soft spot) closed at 10 weeks

oneontheway
01-09-2011, 01:43 PM
DS (now 11 weeks old) just had surgery for pyloris stenosis and while in the ER they noticed his fontanel had shut. They did a CT scan because he was vomiting and they wanted to make sure there wasn't any pressure on his brain. Luckily there was not but they want me to follow up with a neuro surgeon because it should remain open until at lesat 5 or 6 months old.

Has anyone heard of the fontanel closing so early? I can't bear to think he will need additional surgery(s). Everything I found on the internet sounds dreadful.

Thanks.

kdeunc
01-09-2011, 04:09 PM
:hug: I don't have any first hand knowledge but I would definitely follow up with the neuro. As hard as it is, I would stay away from the internet! I hope that everything is OK and your little one does not need additional surgery but if he does at least you will have caught it early.

Ceepa
01-09-2011, 04:14 PM
The Web can be very scary when your child has a medical issue. But *if* your child were to need surgical intervention (for example, placing a shunt) I know neurosurgeons who have described such a procedure as techincally very simple. Of course that doesn't help a mama feel better.

Sending you prayers and positive thoughts. :hug:

jse107
01-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Poor DS and poor you! Focus on the positive--you are working with a medical team who is committed to making sure that DS is healthy by being very thorough. Better to be made aware and to check everything!

I'm surprised the ped. hadn't picked up on this...It seems as though that's something that's always been part of our well-visits when the kids were infants.

Keep us posted! Hugs to you!

oneontheway
01-10-2011, 08:54 AM
I am pretty disappointed with my pedi. I have been very happy in the past, we have been going there almost 6 years. But DS had his 8 week check up two weeks before CHOP said his fontanelle was completely closed... I have a hard time believing it closed overnight. Why didn't she notice it? And why didn't she listen to me that something was not right with the reflux? I know drs are not perfect but sometimes I think they just think crazy mom syndrome and don't investigate as much as they should.

The neuro surgeon's office is supposed to call today and tell me when they want to see us (dr is going to look at the ct scan). I'm praying it will be a wait and monitor process. And that hopefully they can do it by measuring his head and not by periodic ct scans. I worry so much about the radiation.

jse107
01-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Hugs to you. Be sure to talk about your concern regarding the radiation!

I understand feeling disappointed. This is why we ended up changing peds. after my experience with DS--which was nearly as difficult as your issue! You're not crazy--find a doctor who will listen!

lizzywednesday
01-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Ask the surgeons at CHoP if they have any "safe" sites to go rather than continuing to Google about it.

There's a lot of great information online, but there's a lot more terrifying/worst-case-scenario information out there, too.

(FWIW, the first pediatric cardiologist we consulted about my DD's condition actually told us POINT BLANK not to Google anything because there was a lot of misinformation out there!

Seriously. Check with the neurosurgery department at CHoP; I am sure they have great resources that will help you navigate this issue sensibly.)

JBaxter
01-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Yes thats a BIGGIE for a ped to miss or at least not mentioned. Hugs and I hope every thing turns out with minimal intervention