PDA

View Full Version : For those that have had an epidural (TMI)

KLD313
01-09-2011, 02:56 PM
did they cath you to empty your bladder or put one in and leave it or no catheter at all? Just curious what the procedure is in other hospitals.

kaharris83
01-09-2011, 03:01 PM
I got an epi at 9cm...I know, I know WTH...at that point I should have just sucked it up but it ended up taking another 2 1/2 hours and the incredible amount of damage my large headed son did was insane so I don't regret it. Anyway she cathed me, emptied my bladder, and then took the cath out.

bubbaray
01-09-2011, 03:05 PM
DD#1, cath after the epi was placed. Also cath after the spinal was administered for c/s with DD#2

ThreeofUs
01-09-2011, 03:15 PM
I was cath'd both times, first for an emergency C, second for a planned C, so a bit of an outlier.

lchang25000
01-09-2011, 03:27 PM
They put a Foley (urine) catheter inside first right before I got the epidural. The urine catheter was not taken out until after DS was born.

srhs
01-09-2011, 03:32 PM
They didn't leave it in. When I was still feeling a lot of contraction pain on one side, they drained the bladder, which helped the medicine cover the whole area. And I think I asked/suggested they do it again before I pushed. I can't remember my reasoning now; I must have read something beforehand. I was all about laboring down, going really really slow, etc.

BTW, I did not feel the cath in the least, and it was not icky in the moment. Funny how labor desensitizes you (and DH) to stuff that sounds gross otherwise.

3blackcats
01-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Catheter was placed right after the epi was in. They took it out when I started to push.

KLD313
01-09-2011, 03:46 PM
BTW, I did not feel the cath in the least, and it was not icky in the moment. Funny how labor desensitizes you (and DH) to stuff that sounds gross otherwise.

I felt it and hated it. I can't say it hurt because I had the epi but they cathed me before the epi too because they thought I was pre-eclamptic and that was torturous. LOL! I guess it didn't help matters that my birth plan was shot to hell and I was miserable that I was in the hospital so I was being rather bratty about the whole ordeal. After it was said and done I wished they just put a foley in and left it there as opposed to being cathed multiple times and then needing the foley anyway due to the c-section.

mommylamb
01-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Ok, this is a blur because I was a bit insane during the whole labor delivery thing, but I don't think I was catheterized... not sure though.

SnuggleBuggles
01-09-2011, 05:37 PM
If you get a light dose epidural, do you still have to have a catheter or do you think there is enough sensation to at least go on a bed pan?

The idea of getting a UTI or something after the birth b/c of the catheter would scare the crap out of me.

No experience though but I wondered about this.
Beth

Melanie
01-09-2011, 05:53 PM
I had a catheter, but I didn't feel it b/c they did it after the epidural and removed it before. The thought still makes me *shudder* but I was a birthing center transfer so had been expecting a peaceful water birth (which I did get with my second - Thank goodness!)

KLD313
01-09-2011, 06:20 PM
If you get a light dose epidural, do you still have to have a catheter or do you think there is enough sensation to at least go on a bed pan?

The idea of getting a UTI or something after the birth b/c of the catheter would scare the crap out of me.

Beth

I think I could feel when I had to go because I could still feel pressure but I was so annoyed in general at that point I didn't really question it.

As for the UTI, that's why they try not to cath you too many times. My original nurse told me every 3 to 4 hrs, my midwife said it should be more like 4 to 5. When the next nurse came in and told me she needed to cath me it had only been 2 hrs and I refused. You bet I was watching that clock.

Katigre
01-09-2011, 06:20 PM
I was not cath'd with my epidural with DS. I had enough muscle sensation to pee on my own so they just had me use a bedpan instead.

KLD313
01-09-2011, 06:21 PM
I had a catheter, but I didn't feel it b/c they did it after the epidural and removed it before. The thought still makes me *shudder* but I was a birthing center transfer so had been expecting a peaceful water birth

Me too! I'm glad you got that the second time around. I'm still too traumatized to consider a second time even though my midwife assured me the second baby could be a totally different experience.

MacMacMoo
01-09-2011, 08:05 PM
with SqueekMoo I had an epidural. No catheter was put in. After delivery the nurse made a comment about how I had a very very full bladder and wondered if I'd like to wait and go to the bathroom myself or if she could go ahead and empty it for me. Enjoy baby to much i let her empty it with a catheter which she took out once done.

mommylamb
01-09-2011, 08:09 PM
I remember that I was able to get up about an hour after birth and pee (had full use of my legs)... still no memory of a cath.

lil_acorn
01-09-2011, 10:10 PM
they put in the cath hours after my epi and just emptied my bladder and was taken out within 1/2 hour?

oneontheway
01-10-2011, 09:09 AM
With all three of mine, they had me go to the bathroom before the epi and then they check you after a certain amount of time and if your full then they cath. you and take it out.
I had a terrible time urinating after delivery with DS1 and almost had to go home with a bag, yikes. Thank goodness I was finally able to go. With DD and DS#2 it was much quicker.

RunnerDuck
01-10-2011, 10:29 AM

I was scared of this, too. I didn't have an epi with my son but I couldn't pee after I had him so I was cathed for 2 days. I had a lot of UTIs when I was younger and was afraid I'd get one from the cath but I didn't.

With my girls I had a c/s and they cathed me after the spinal... removed it the next day I think and I couldn't pee so ended up cathed for 2 more days.

I don't know what it is but it seems if a baby leaves my body in any form I end up unable to pee. Crazy! So I am fully expecting that this time around.

Never got a UTI from the cath, though.

sewarsh
01-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Cath in the whole time. Didn't even know it was there.

tabegle
01-10-2011, 01:25 PM
edited 2

swrc00
01-10-2011, 01:32 PM
Where I had DS they do not leave the cath in. They inserted one once while I was in labor. I didn't feel it all. Once I emptyed the my bladder, it was removed. After I had DS I could feel that I had to go, but couldn't go on the tiolet, so they inserted one then. Slightly uncomfortable, but not as bad as imagined.

AnnieW625
01-10-2011, 02:31 PM
I didn't get cathed for DD1 and had an epidural; I had just gone to the bathroom prior to getting it. I don't believe I went pee again until I got the recovery room. For DD2 I did get cathed and ended up not needing an epidural. I had gone pee not long before they put it in anyway so I didn't use it. The stupid catheter was super uncomfortable for me and I wanted it out of there as soon as I knew I wasn't going to have an epidural so they removed it as soon as I was ready to start pushing. I went to the bathroom again about 30 minutes after DD2 was born.

BabyBearsMom
01-10-2011, 02:36 PM
they cath'd me and kept it in. I ended up with an emergency c-section, so it stayed in until the next day.

MoJo
01-10-2011, 02:44 PM
No cath for me.

And another person who hoped for the nice birth center birth with #1, didn't get it, but DID get a natural if not peaceful birth with #2.

indigo99
01-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Cath after the epi (which was during labor). Ended up with a c-section and don't remember when the cath came out at all - some time after we were back in the room b/c I do remember there was some blood in my bag at one point.

I am very prone to UTI and have recurring problems around the time of my period that show up negative for UTI but have all the same symptoms. I was worried about the cath, but I didn't have any problems afterward.

carolinamama
01-10-2011, 07:37 PM
I had a cath placed both times and left in place until close to birth, I assume. I'm not sure when they took it out. I was fine with it (and even let a student nurse put it in with DS2) but I'm not prone to UTIs. As someone who puts them in somewhat regularly, I would rather have a foley placed and left there than have multiple in and out caths regarding infection risk.

WolfpackMom
01-10-2011, 07:40 PM
I want to say I had one placed after delivering but before the epidural wore off, but it may have been before delivering - I really am not sure. I had DS about 1.5 hrs after the epidural was placed so I didnt go too long without being able to use the facilities myself, but Im glad they did one go with the cath because it was not comfortable peeing afterward...
FWIW I have been cathed more than once without an epidural, and its not too terrible imho.

veronica
01-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Tried epidurals for both DC's (neither worked very well). no catheter either time. I got up to pee after they were born.

keeley146
01-16-2011, 03:35 PM
The told me I was required to have the cath in for the entire time. For me it was necessary though because I got it around 2:00pm and didnt deliver until almost 10am the next morning. I would have had problems if they hadn't left it in. ;)

FTMLuc
01-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Cath right before pushing to empty my bladder, then took it out right away. Again cath before moving from the labor room, just to empty my bladde, since I could not tell if I had to go, but the bladder was full. I ended up getting UTI :mad:

crayonblue
01-17-2011, 05:40 PM
With DD1 I kept saying I needed to pee so they put in a catheter but took it right back out. This was after the epidural. With DD2, I didn't get my beloved epidural because she came flying out but my blood pressure was so high that they decided to put in a catheter and test my urine for something. Let me tell you that having a catheter stuck into an area that had just been battered and bruised from a baby flying out was PAINFUL!!!!

billysmommy
01-17-2011, 09:11 PM
No catheter with either of the boys, it was never even mentioned. I had very fast labors though

ohsara430
01-18-2011, 10:38 AM
Had a cath after epidural which was left in until almost ready to push (maybe 6 hrs). My nurse & doula recommended that over multiple in & out due to infection risk. I did get a bladder infection after birth and blame it on the cath. I seem to be much more prone to them now, I had never had one prior to having DD.

hopeful_mama
01-18-2011, 11:46 AM
Was cathed after delivery. I was pretty fast, they started the epi while pushing, so DD was born maybe an hour after that, not sure. I did get a UTI, had to go back twice, and I'm not usually prone to them.

JenaW
01-18-2011, 01:13 PM
At least in my experiences (both with several practices where I have been the patient) AND in my own practice as an OBGYN PA, this is usually a negotiable thing. If you feel very strongly against a catheter, take measures to avoid needing one, though it is not always possible. I have had epidurals with all 5 deliveries. Had a straight cath with #2 (in and out) to empty bladder twice. OB wanted to leave one in, but before the nurse could put it back in, I was ready to push. I was almost cathed after delivery because I couldn't yet feel my legs but my bladder was full, but used the bedpan instead. (I have to tell you, as much as I dislike having a catheter inserted, using a bedpan is never easy, and after a vaginal delivery it was downright messy and disgusting. If I could do that situation over, I would have just gone with the cath again. With the other deliveries, I was able to empty my bladder before my epi, and go on my own afterward, but I also typically have fast deliveries, and have always delivered within 10 min-3 hours after my epidural. If you end up with a c/s, the catheter will stay in usually until the next day.

I have also been cathed (again straight cath, not left in) for sterile urine sample a few times - once when my water broke at 22 weeks, and another time when I was admitted with a UTI. It was definitely LESS pleasant those times (without the epidural) but still not extremely painful. As someone who has put them in A LOT, they SHOULD not hurt, but they can be uncomfortable. (The experience in general is uncomfortable - I'd much rather have a pelvic exam than have a catheter put in. I think it is the frog-legged position and being so exposed in bed that makes me uncomfortable). My biggest gripe was the nurse who did the straight cath for my UTI when I was already sore and she, for some reason, kept her thumb right on my clitoris (despite my asking her to change her hand position). THAT was uncomfortable.

FWIW, I have never had a UTI caused by a catheter. But that is not to say that it can't and doesn't happen. I do think if there is a chance you would need a second catheterization, then putting one in and leaving it in is the way to go, versus repeated straight cathing. BUT, if there is a chance you will be delivering soon, I'd much rather have the in and out, than a catheter that stays. JMHO

J

Claki
01-18-2011, 07:46 PM
At some point after I received the epidural they put in the cath and left it in. I don't remember when. And shortly there after my epidural quit working on one side. I called the anesthesiologist back in twice who upped the dose, but it didn't help. They had me lie on my side with one leg propped up on the table (the arm one that swings over the bed). I was like that for over an hour. They said it would help the pain medicine spread onto my other side. It was pure agony. Finally I put my foot down, well actually my hip, and said no, I'm getting out of the this silly position.

When I pushed a couple hours later, I actually pushed out the catheter! And the doctor was yelling, who put this in like that? Apparently the catheter insertion was somehow interfering with the epidural? I don't quite understand that, but someone told me that in the room. Why didn't they figure that out before? So, I birthed my catheter. Named it Cathy.

trcy
01-26-2011, 04:18 PM
I had a scheduled c-section. They placed a cath after the spinal and removed it the next day...never felt it.

MamaSnoo
01-27-2011, 03:44 PM
I had a scheduled c-section. They placed a cath after the spinal and removed it the next day...never felt it.

Exactly that. Except I was not a scheduled section. Semi-elective after I went into early labor with my breech baby. Catheter stayed in until the epidural came out next day. Did not bother me at all.