PDA

View Full Version : Phil&Ted Explorer, the good with the Bad

sweetsoul99
01-09-2011, 03:57 PM
So we're just about home from our 2 month trip to Italy where I brought the new Phil&Ted Explorer as our 1 and only stroller . Here is my updated review of the stroller.

Good: I love all the new updates to the Phil&Ted. The main canopy is superb, the canopy on the underseat is a great addition. the buckles are much better. And let's face it, I can't think of any other AT double that would have worked on those narrow streets. Half the time I had to go out into the road b/c those crazy italians always park their tiny cars on the sidewalks.

Bad: Here are some bad things that started to get on my nerves after a couple of months.

Steering. I swear that it's narrower than the older models, and probably slightly longer. These 2 factors probably contributed to the really difficcult steering I experienced, especially with the older one in the front (which is where she's technically supposed to go). NOT 1 handed steering. Not even close. Would have been nice so I could have a free hand to hold an umbrella.

Canopy for the smaller seat: Is almost completely worthless. It covers okay, but the plastic connectors which hold it onto the frame of the seat is not angled the right way, so it is constantly popping off. And when you're having to pull your little one in and out constantly, it gets pretty annoying. Almost gave up on it.

Having to pull the 2nd seat off to fold it is super annoying. I know this is the same as the older model. But it makes getting on and off PT really frustrating. It was hard enough lugging a heavy stroller and 2 kids in and out of a bus, but having to juggle the extra seat too......

End Result: I'll be selling it ASAP. I don't care if a regular side-by-side is 7 inches wider, it'll be worth it to be able to have that 1 handed push. Having said that I can't imagine another stroller that would have worked as a 1 and only, technically I should have had an umbrella for PT. It did work GREAT for lugging groceries and luggage in the 2nd seat.

roseyloxs
01-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Good to know. I bet you have your eye on the new 25" wide duet.

jacksmoma
01-09-2011, 09:35 PM
i TOTALLY agree with your cons. i had one for a day and just hated it, something did not click with me and that stroller. here are some cons i noticed:

weird/awkward/heavy fold
total dealbreaker with having to remove second seat to fold (pita!)
very small knee-to-foot area on main seat
extremely "tall" stroller- i could barely see over the canopy (i'm 5'3"..)
rough push
pretty wide
weird shaped handle
no storage on back of seats
BOTH canopies constantly falling off stroller (it was embarrasing!)
no recline for second rider
no basket space with second rider's feat in there

overall i just got a bad vibe. never had that happen with all my strollers! the bjcs solves many if not all these issues so here's to hoping....sound like the select would have been a good fit for your european trip too!!