PDA

View Full Version : Which cooking oil?

boltfam
01-09-2011, 04:21 PM
I have read a lot of good things about cocount oil, particularly virgin coconut oil. Do you use it mainly for baking? cooking? both?

I know real butter is good to use, too, but we're dairy free right now.

Are there other oils that I could/should use, primarily for cooking and baking? I use olive oil for sauteeing but have read that you should only use it at low temperatures.

I know some of you are way more knowledgable. Please enlighten me on oils.

kedss
01-09-2011, 04:23 PM
we use Canola oil when we use oil to cook/bake with

turtledove
01-09-2011, 04:28 PM
We use coconut oil, olive oil, and grapeseed oil. If you cook with coconut oil, be aware that it does "alter" the taste somewhat. Not sure about heat levels - I've never had a problem sauteing with olive or grapeseed oils.

twowhat?
01-09-2011, 04:30 PM
I use:

EVOO when I want the taste (I use it for most veggies, and use it as a coating for roasting meats)

Peanut for pan-frying meats. I'd also use peanut for deep-frying but we never deep-fry.

Grapeseed for most everything else made in a pan (scrambling eggs, etc)

Sesame for asian foods (but I always mix just a bit of sesame into peanut oil because sesame by itself doesn't have a high smoke point.

I never use butter unless it's a special meal, and I use smart balance for things like making grilled cheese, french toast, etc.

bubbaray
01-09-2011, 04:32 PM
I use canola oil for the omega 3's

jenrub
01-09-2011, 05:20 PM
We use canola oil for baking or making desserts and grapeseed oil for cooking and sauteing. Olive oil is used in dressings and baking meals that require oil, as well as, sesame oil although more for asian food.

baymom
01-09-2011, 05:33 PM
I generally use canola for all cooking and baking. No good reason, other then that's what my mother always used. Olive oil to make salad dressings, ect and occasionally for cooking.

SnuggleBuggles
01-09-2011, 05:39 PM
Canola oil to bake and sometimes sautee. I only use butter for baking unless oil is specifically called for. I often sub out butte for shortening too in recipes. I sometimes use olive oil if I think the flavor profiles match.

Beth

Allisonsmommy
01-09-2011, 07:02 PM
i use canola and EVOO. I love olive oil the most. I only use butter when i'm making a special meal and it calls for it specifically in the recipe.

ThreeofUs
01-09-2011, 07:39 PM
organic canola and EVO oils, whole unsalted butter in cookies cut with a bit of canola

looking for the right omega-3 :: omega-6 balance

nupe
01-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Regular olive oil for cooking
sometimes canola for baking, if i'm out i use olive oil
evoo only for drizzling

i use coconut oil to mix into chocolate to make choc covered blueberries

elbenn
01-09-2011, 09:22 PM
I'm not a big fan of canola oil because of its processing method. I would like to find out what people use as a substitute for baking. Nina Planck has a good book called Real Food where she talks extensively about fats and what fats she likes best. She likes a lot of unusual fats, including macadamia oil, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Real-Food-What-Eat-Why/dp/1596913428/ref=pd_sim_b_26

zag95
01-09-2011, 10:16 PM
Canola oil for baking, sauting (starting soups, etc)
Olive oil for dressings and some italian/greek dishes
Sesame oil for Asian inspired
Butter, as appropriate...