PDA

View Full Version : Ideal Family reunion

MacMacMoo
01-09-2011, 09:11 PM
So my SIL has decided to spring a family reunion. Would be for DH's dad and uncle and their offspring. She wants to have it later this year, at her parents new farm. Lets say five hour drive from a very major airport. SIL's family lives twenty mins from said airport so it would just be a drive for them. Everyone else, DH's uncle and aunt and all their kids and grandkids would be require to fly and then rent a car to make the drive. So would we.

DH's uncle has shot the idea down stating financial issues. And we are shooting it down as well on the same regards. I personally think if on a financial standpoint at least a year notice to save up, however I really don't want my one vacation of the year to be with relatives, I'd like my vacation to be a vacation.

Further more I don't like the location. If we do it at their farm we would all have to book a hotel off site since they will only have a two bedroom house.

So what works well for you when it comes to family reunion. Obviously this is a very small one in comparison to how large other reunions can get. How do you pick a destination that would be in consideration of limited budgets and those with extravagant budgets? And one that make people actually use their limited vacation days to come?

wellyes
01-09-2011, 09:28 PM
What? Everyone flies, then drives 5 hours, then stays at a hotel? That is not a family reunion, that is "come visit if you'd like".

Family reunions should be at a central location or a place with nostalgic memories for most people attending.

WatchingThemGrow
01-09-2011, 09:40 PM
I have a hard time answering because I long for everyone to get together to play. It is expensive though. The family memories are truly priceless. Would this be a one time thing or annual? If once, making sure everyone in the family has ample time to schedule it seems more prudent.

I've never had a week of "me" vacation time since having kids. We almost always use our time to see family - either a week with DH's at the beach or a week at my mom's. We probably need that time, though. Staying off-site is no fun for people with kids. Going back and forth sucks. What about suggesting a place where more people can sleep on-site and do it next year?

kristenk
01-09-2011, 09:48 PM
My extended family (so descendants of my grandmother and her brothers and sisters) has a reunion in the summer every two years. Families who participate live in Colorado, Kansas City, Texas, Okahoma, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, etc. We're pretty scattered. The reunions I can think of were located in Dallas, Oklahoma City, Colorado Springs, Kansas City and New Orleans. Usually, the location of the next reunion is decided two years in advance (at the reunion). A couple of cousins volunteer to look into hotels/restaurants/activities.

All of the reunions have been within easy driving distance of a major airport. Actually, all have been in a major metro area. We usually get a pretty decent hotel group rate. Reunion activities (mainly food-related) start Friday evening and end with breakfast at the hotel for all who have time to attend on Sunday morning. There's usually a dinner on Saturday, but the rest of the time on Saturday is more open (with a few ideas for activities thrown in).

Not everyone makes it to every reunion and that's okay. Everyone understands.

baymom
01-09-2011, 10:09 PM
Would your family consider a reunion on a cruise ship? There is a good range in terms of cost (balcony room, interior room, ect.) and you can just agree to have dinner together every night. Other then that, it would feel more like a proper vacation to everyone. I totally agree that a reunion on a farm, 5 hrs from the airport where you still had to stay in a hotel is NOT an ideal vacation for the year!! I would definitely not be on board with that!

elephantmeg
01-09-2011, 10:18 PM
we rent a beach house with my dad's sibs and my cousins every few years. Each family takes a night to cook supper, we feed ourselves breakfast and lunch (generally one lunch people pool money for seafood and my uncle cooks and stinks up the entire house, lol) and we split the cost as cost per room (so people in the girls/boys room pay a portion of that room's cost. My mom watches the baby monitor for us (it's her IL's and they don't always get along) and DH and I play games with my cousins/aunt and uncles in the evenings. Everyone loves kids so there are plenty of people ready to play and it's perfect! And there's one this year!