PDA

View Full Version : Do you get sad when cleaning out closets?

WatchingThemGrow
01-09-2011, 09:25 PM
I think my emotions go wonky when I move stuff around in my kids' closets. A couple days ago, frustration was my biggest emotion when trying to find the next size pants to fit DS1. His 90s are too short, some 3's work, but most are way too big in the waist. 4 Slim is huge, and 100s are huge. He only has a few pairs of pants left to make it through the winter without showing his ankles or falling off his body.

This post, though, was brought on by spending the last hour having DD try on her clothes from last summer. She was newly 4 and I got her 5's to last a couple summers. We know she's in the middle of a growth spurt, and almost NO pants shorts/skirts are going to fit this summer. A few of the 5 shirts work, barely. They won't last through the summer, though. The 110 bike shorts are really snug, but *I* can't part with them. I feel like she just got them! And...120's for an almost 5yo? Is that crazy?

There was one cute Zutano short sleeve dress (http://www.comfykid.com/cgi-bin/ck-shop.cgi?func=show_style&brands_id=8&brand_name=Zutano&has_sizing_chart=1&styles_id=1404), size 18-24 mos. in the Zoo Crew print that she got when she was 1. She's worn it with different shorts every summer, and at 4.5, we are finally going to sell it. Booo hooo. So many fun days at the park in that shirt. waaaah... anyone else sad to see things go?

goldenpig
01-09-2011, 09:56 PM
Yeah, today I have all of DD's clothes spread out all over my bedroom floor and am trying to sort them into space bags. All those tiny dresses and cute outfits bring back memories of when she was a little baby (she is much better dressed than her mommy). I can't bear to part with them yet and it's making me want to have another girl so I can use them again! :wink2: I don't seem to have quite the same attachment to DS's clothes but I'm keeping those for now too.

KrisM
01-09-2011, 10:14 PM
Yeah, I that problem too. I've kept a few favorites and then have ended up getting rid of those a couple years later. I take a lot of pictures to help it out. It's hard to see them grow at times.

mom2MandC
01-09-2011, 10:14 PM
I too was sad packing up my soon to be 1 (on wednesday ) DD2s clothes. I didn't feel as bad packing her sisters DD1 because I know DD2 will most likely wear them.
I guess not knowing if they will ever be worn again and that she may be my last baby makes it hard. Not sure if we will go for a # 3 if we were independenly weathly and I can get back into shape- it wouldn't be a question- but realistically we may be done!!
So sad that they get big so quickly! But I have loved each stage from newborn till my oldest who is 2.75!!!

sarahsthreads
01-09-2011, 10:22 PM
All. The. Time. I have tiny little handknit sweaters that are still hanging in DD2's closet because I can't bear the thought of hiding them away in boxes.

Favorite outfits are really hard to put away, although generally if they were that much of a favorite (of either me or the girl in question) we've got lots of pictures of them being worn, so that helps.

Sarah :)

spanannie
01-09-2011, 10:27 PM
I had a quilt made by a person on Etsy with the baby clothes I felt most attachment to. I have one for DS and have kept no other clothes than his first pair of jeans and a baby sleeper. I will have DDs' quilts made, when DD2 is finished wearing DD1s clothes. I will have the lady cut clothes in 1/2 that both girls wore. They are scrap-type quilts, rather than having the entire outfit on a square. It's just bits and pieces of outfits.

tiapam
01-09-2011, 11:03 PM
I have a hard time with this too. I find the longer I leave it, the easier it is. I just did DD's dresser which had tons of clothes in it that do not fit her anymore. I cleared them out but have not gotten rid of any yet. DS will be a little easier as many of his clothes have been hand me downs (and this not my personal pick and also pretty worn) or he barely wore them because he has been so fussy about his clothes.

citymama
01-10-2011, 03:55 AM
I am having an impossible time - and we're just at the 0-6 month stage! I have saved way too many clothes for posterity. List some favorites on BBB swap so at least you'll know the clothes are going to a family who will appreciate them.

kozachka
01-10-2011, 04:09 AM
I used to have the same feelings when DS was younger, but not any more. DS is 7 so his clothes are not that special/cute. Also, some of them, especially shorts, have been used for several years (DS is slim and for years seemed to mostly grow up) so I am ready to replace them with the new ones. I've also learned to buy less plus DS is harder on his clothes, so by the time DS is ready for the next size a lot of his clothes look worn/well loved, which makes it easier to get rid of them.

We are renting in a HCOL area right now, so space is at a premium. If an item does not fit, it gets put away and sent to my mom in Eastern Europe, who is saving DS better clothes for my brother's future kids and giving the rest away. I feel good about having less clutter in the house and passing DS clothes to either a family member (although I honestly think there is a very slim chance they'll get used) or someone needy.

Minnifer
01-10-2011, 11:27 AM
I had a quilt made by a person on Etsy with the baby clothes I felt most attachment to. I have one for DS and have kept no other clothes than his first pair of jeans and a baby sleeper. I will have DDs' quilts made, when DD2 is finished wearing DD1s clothes. I will have the lady cut clothes in 1/2 that both girls wore. They are scrap-type quilts, rather than having the entire outfit on a square. It's just bits and pieces of outfits.

This is such a great idea! Do you have any pics, and/or a link to the Etsy seller? This may help me finally be able to clear some stuff out.

edurnemk
01-10-2011, 11:43 AM
I was just going to post about this. I felt so sad the other day putting DS's outgrown clothes away. And some I still left in his closet, because even though they don't fit well anymore, I.just.can't.put.them.away. I felt so nostalgic. We're keeping everything for the next child, I guess if I was giving them away I'd be in tears.

sewarsh
01-10-2011, 12:03 PM
I get sick of the clothes after awhile, so I get excited to take out the next size.

But I get sad knowing how big they are getting and keep asking DD to stop growing so she'll stay my baby.

Anyways, I plan on taking my favorite pieces of DCs clothes and making a quilt out of them. Now, that's my plan, not sure how it will turn out!

sewarsh
01-10-2011, 12:04 PM

Could you give me the seller's name...would love to check out her work!
Thanks!

AnnieW625
01-10-2011, 01:15 PM
I am struggling with this for both myself, and DD2. For me I still have maternity clothes in my drawer and in my closet. I haven't needed them in almost 8 months, but I know for sure I still can't fit in some of my old pre pregnancy clothes (the ones from in between DD1 and DD2) so they are still in the storage box in the garage. With DD1 the maternity clothes were out of my room before I went back to work! For DD2 she is slowly going into 6 to 12 mos., 9 mos., and 12 mos. clothes. I am having issues getting rid of the 6 mos. stuff. I had no issues with DD1 because I knew we'd be having another child, but now that we know we are done I think this why I am a little sad.

keh602
01-10-2011, 01:38 PM
I have a hard time cleaning out my kids' closets. I was okay (though a little sad) whenever DD would outgrow clothes, but I put them away knowing we might have another DD. When I found out we were having a DS, it was hard for me to part with DD's clothes, even though I knew we were most likely done having kids. Now I have a hard time packing up DS's outgrown clothes. I have a lot of cousins who have recently had kids, so it helps me to pick out my favorite outfits (the ones I haven't put in the memory boxes) and pass those along. I also had a hard time packing up my maternity clothes, the baby gear, etc. DH thinks I'm crazy. :)

MommytoEliana
01-10-2011, 01:41 PM
I can definitely relate. Although when I see the bins and bins of clothing in our basement, I must confess I'm eager to start getting rid of them. Hopefully in April or so I should know which gender of clothing to start disposing of. And then I need to figure out ebay!