PDA

View Full Version : best stroller for suburbs

monix
01-09-2011, 09:34 PM
Hello,

I'm a first-time-mom-to-be, have recently started researching what stroller we should buy, and have ended with a headache :-). I hope the experienced moms can help...

I'm looking for a stroller that I could fairly easily fold and take my child to the park (I live in an area where I need to drive everywhere). Price is not so much an issue, but I don't want to spen $1000 on a BB...I just think it's too much. We looked a teutonia but it's rather heavy. I also read of moms who just had a simple <$100 stroller frame and used that with a car seat initially until they better understood what works for them.

Any recommendations?

Thank you!!!!!

M.

SnuggleBuggles
01-09-2011, 09:37 PM
I'm not a snap and go fan as I think they make it too easy to leave baby in a carseat too long. Too much time in a carseat isn't ideal for baby's health so best to limit it to when needed in the car. I'd look for a stroller in which baby can lay down in flat. I'll leave the suggestions on specifics to the stroller junkies here though. :) Me? I was happy with my Graco Metrolite but fully admit that there are better choices out there (bought mine in 2002 and selections were far more limited! it worked though so I stuck with it).

Beth

golightly1118
01-09-2011, 10:56 PM
I also live in the 'burbs, and for my car I have a Baby Jogger City Mini (BJCM in boardspeak) and a Maclaren Triumph. They are both light, easy to fold, easy to get in and out of a trunk (I drive an SUV, so plenty of room for both) and easy to push around in crowds and stores. I prefer the BJCM because of the full recline and canopy, plus it has a car seat adaptor so you can skip a Snap n Go altogether. I also think my daughter is more comfortable in it-I just got it a couple of weeks ago, and she'll happily chill out and ride, where she was fighting the Maclaren-I think she'll be happy in that one when she's older, but the BJCM seems to give her a better ride for now. I know the SnG's get a lot of flack, but if you're just running into Target for ten minutes, it's so nice to not have to wake up a sleeping baby to transfer them into a stroller. Now, for longer outings, we started to put our daughter in the stroller beginning when she was about two months old-we just used a head support pillow and reclined the seat. We honestly didn't really get out for longer than an hour at a time before then anyway, so the SnG got the most use from newborn-six months.

roseyloxs
01-09-2011, 11:00 PM
How about the Mutsy 4Rider Light (http://www.amazon.com/Mutsy-4Rider-Light-Stroller-Team/dp/B003A49BJY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1294627995&sr=1-4)?

http://www.whwatts.co.uk/out-about-105/3-in-1-prams-107/mutsy-rider-light-pushchair-colour-team-10788-5792_medium.jpg

poohbear
01-10-2011, 11:29 AM
I also live in the 'burbs, and for my car I have a Baby Jogger City Mini (BJCM in boardspeak) and a Maclaren Triumph. They are both light, easy to fold, easy to get in and out of a trunk (I drive an SUV, so plenty of room for both) and easy to push around in crowds and stores. I prefer the BJCM because of the full recline and canopy, plus it has a car seat adaptor so you can skip a Snap n Go altogether. I also think my daughter is more comfortable in it-I just got it a couple of weeks ago, and she'll happily chill out and ride, where she was fighting the Maclaren-I think she'll be happy in that one when she's older, but the BJCM seems to give her a better ride for now. I know the SnG's get a lot of flack, but if you're just running into Target for ten minutes, it's so nice to not have to wake up a sleeping baby to transfer them into a stroller. Now, for longer outings, we started to put our daughter in the stroller beginning when she was about two months old-we just used a head support pillow and reclined the seat. We honestly didn't really get out for longer than an hour at a time before then anyway, so the SnG got the most use from newborn-six months.

:yeahthat:
Pretty much all that.
I'd go with either the BJCM or look at the First Years Indigo. It has a parent facing feature. We still use our BJCM more than our Triumph, but the Triumph is nice for older babes/toddlers and definitely lighter and great for travel.
If you just want to buy one stroller and are always in and out of your car, I'd say BJCM...

edurnemk
01-10-2011, 11:39 AM
I recently looked at the Valco Latitude EX, I'm very tempted to get it, I must say. It looks like a good contender for the BJCM, although nothing folds more easily than a BJCM.

If you want a reversible stroller, you could also look at the Bugaboo Bee. It's much lighter than a Teutonia or a Mutsy.

Also this year the Uppababy Cruz is coming out, it will be a lighter version of the Uppababy Vista (which I have and adore), but without the bassinet.

I never had a snap n'go and never missed it, in fact I'm glad I had a regular stroller with flat recline to start with because DS HATED the car seat.

DebbieJ
01-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Back in 2003, the Peg Perego P3 was THE suburban stroller around these parts so that's what I got when DS1 was born. Eight years later, I'm sure you have plenty more options, but I still find our P3 very useful with DS2 and have no need to spend more money on a new stroller.

So you might take a look at the P3. The Baby Joggers seem to be very popular now.

pantone292
01-10-2011, 12:50 PM
I was going to suggest the P3. We bought one in '05 and we're still using it with DC #2/ We've flown with it a number of times over the past 5-6 years and it's held up great. Easy fold, good canopy, good recline. I like the snack tray option.

BabyBearsMom
01-10-2011, 02:27 PM
I live in the burbs and also have a Baby Jogger City Mini. I never cared for the snap and go, too hard to push (and the whole car seat thing, but at that point, we weren't going out for all that long anyway). In my imaginary world where I can buy any stroller on earth, I would get a Bugaboo Bee+ which is $500. It's dreamy :heartbeat:

strollerqueen
01-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Hello,

I'm a first-time-mom-to-be, have recently started researching what stroller we should buy, and have ended with a headache :-). I hope the experienced moms can help...

I'm looking for a stroller that I could fairly easily fold and take my child to the park (I live in an area where I need to drive everywhere). Price is not so much an issue, but I don't want to spen $1000 on a BB...I just think it's too much. We looked a teutonia but it's rather heavy. I also read of moms who just had a simple <$100 stroller frame and used that with a car seat initially until they better understood what works for them.

Any recommendations?

Thank you!!!!!

M.

Zooper Waltz or Bolero would work for you, too.

twotimesblue
01-10-2011, 09:49 PM
DS hated (and still hates!) his car seat so I'm glad we never bothered with a Snap 'n' Go... as someone else said they also encourage people to leave babies in them for hours on end and LOs often look so darned uncomfortable in them. I was in Target a few weeks back and saw a boy who must have been 18 months and 30lbs or so squashed up in a Graco car seat (one of the small infant ones that go up to 22lbs?) in a Snap 'n' Go.. his head was hitting the canopy and his legs were dangling over the edge... had his dad not looked so intimidating I would have probably said something as the car seat was definitely waaaay too small for the boy. That won't help you with your stroller search but talk of Snap 'n' Gos reminded me of that poor kid!

golightly1118
01-10-2011, 11:27 PM
Wow...that's crazy. My DD started to let me know, in no uncertain terms, that she was over the car seat when she was six months old. She honestly is happier in a regular stroller now, and the SnG has been retired. Ok, moving on...

tmahanes
01-11-2011, 12:12 AM
I have a First Years Indigo and LOVE it. We are in a completely car dependent area so I couldn't justify something more expensive. It has a car seat adapter, full recline, and reversible seat. It also has a humongous basket.

blondflava
01-11-2011, 09:28 AM
DS hated (and still hates!) his car seat so I'm glad we never bothered with a Snap 'n' Go... as someone else said they also encourage people to leave babies in them for hours on end and LOs often look so darned uncomfortable in them. I was in Target a few weeks back and saw a boy who must have been 18 months and 30lbs or so squashed up in a Graco car seat (one of the small infant ones that go up to 22lbs?) in a Snap 'n' Go.. his head was hitting the canopy and his legs were dangling over the edge... had his dad not looked so intimidating I would have probably said something as the car seat was definitely waaaay too small for the boy. That won't help you with your stroller search but talk of Snap 'n' Gos reminded me of that poor kid!

Goodness, I see that soooo often in malls, just recently there was a lady behind me in a line for food with a snap'n'go with the canopy up and all covered with a thick blanket, I thought she had a newborn in there, then she took the blanket off and the 'baby' was bigger than Tatyana (who is small for 20 months, but STILL), it's a little shocking to me!! (and how those toddlers sit quietly in the carseats is beneath me, my DD would raise hell if I tried to stuff her in one!) LOL.

babyonway
01-11-2011, 02:43 PM
I have a First Years Indigo and LOVE it. We are in a completely car dependent area so I couldn't justify something more expensive. It has a car seat adapter, full recline, and reversible seat. It also has a humongous basket.

How is the fold on the Indigo?

pampers37
01-11-2011, 03:44 PM
I live in the burbs and also have a Baby Jogger City Mini. I never cared for the snap and go, too hard to push (and the whole car seat thing, but at that point, we weren't going out for all that long anyway). In my imaginary world where I can buy any stroller on earth, I would get a Bugaboo Bee+ which is $500. It's dreamy :heartbeat:

wow.. those are strong enough words to warrant a Bee+ purchase for you, BabyBearsMom!

monix
01-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Ladies, thank you for all your comments and sharing your experiences!!!!!!!!!! I'm much clearer now on what I need to look into.

THANK YOU!!!

Monika

tmahanes
01-12-2011, 11:35 AM
How is the fold on the Indigo?

It has a two part fold.... take the seat off and then fold the frame. You can fold with the seat attached but it makes the fold much longer. It is really easy.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk