PDA

View Full Version : Ravioli recipe

KrisM
01-10-2011, 09:15 AM
We like ravioli and I buy it frozen. We like the chicken and cheese variety. We've made it twice now and neither time was the filling as good as the store bought. Any suggestions how to make it?

tiapam
01-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Are you trying to copy the chicken and cheese from Costco? I don't have much advice except check the cheeses if you have not, there may be more varieties in the original than you realize. Also, are you freezing yours and then cooking later? I wonder if the filling is frozen in little lumps and then put in the pasta and then the whole thing is frozen together. Although, that is not the way my grandma made it! Another idea is to try a simpler recipe, say just ricotta cheese and parsley inside and perfect that before trying something with more ingredients.

LMPC
01-10-2011, 10:50 PM
Are you tasting it before you put it in the ravoli? That's what I found helped me....I was assuming that my filling was good but it wasn't ever flavorful enough. When I started tasting it, I was able to change it accordingly without making a whole batch.

KrisM
01-10-2011, 11:02 PM
No, not trying to copy anything, as I'm not that kind of cook :). We buy the Meijer brand and like it. We've just looked up recipes that sounded good and were boring by comparison. I guess I"m not sure what I'm looking for, other than a rec of one that works for people.

I don't usually make it, so I'll tell DH to taste as he goes. I'm sure he doesn't.

tiapam
01-11-2011, 12:38 PM
If you are buying prepackaged ingredients for the filling, I would try getting them fresher, like from the deli counter, or an Italian store if you have one. I have noticed a difference in some ingredients.