PDA

View Full Version : One year old sleep advice...any BTDT appreciated!

babychi
01-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Ever since DD turned one a month ago, her sleeping has been out of whack. Since she was 10 weeks old, she had been sleeping through the night (9+ hours min) consistently up until her first birthday. Then during the week of her birthday she came down with croup and an ear infection, and all h*ll broke loose. She is fully recovered but has not slept through the night since.

I chalked up two weeks of her waking up three times per night to illness and holiday travel, but now I'm not sure what the deal is. She wakes up about every 3 hours, stands at the end of her crib and cries for us. I have tried to let her CIO to no avail. Even picking her up and rocking her or walking around doesn't work...the only thing that calms her down is a bottle, which I've been giving her and then she will fall asleep on my chest. But I have to let her fall into a deep sleep on me, otherwise she will scream as soon as I put her back down. Now, I'm afraid she thinks it's time to eat when she wakes but that is honestly the only thing that settles her down. She does have a bit of a cold (runny nose, etc.) right now and I think she's teething again, but these have not caused sleep issues in the past.

Any BTDT advice or other things to try? I'm seriously about at the end of my rope here.

m448
01-10-2011, 10:23 AM
She's 1. one is primetime for sleep shakups that you simply wait for them to pass. All three of my older ones went through this too. We just continued doing what we did even if more often. ;)

babychi
01-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Yikes...so this is normal for a one-year old? Ah, I miss the sleepy baby stage! :)

m448
01-10-2011, 11:05 AM
Yes it is. I know it's not great to hear right now but by the time you come up with a newfangled plan she'll have sorted it out. I will say there are other times of sleep shakups in the future but the same applies.

wendibird22
01-10-2011, 12:19 PM
Could have written your post. My almost 13mo has had horrible sleep for the past several weeks. She too is just getting over an ear infection. She has cut one molar and I think others are on the way so I do think teething is part of it. I have found Motrin to be helpful. DH and I are just in survival "do what it takes" mode. Most of the time that means she ends up in bed with us until both she and I are asleep and then I manage to wake enough to put her back in her crib.