PDA

View Full Version : roll him back over?

AnimalBabe
01-10-2011, 11:01 AM
Our son is about 4.5 mos old and has been rolling himself over during tummy time for a few weeks now. Now at night, and during naps, we put him on his back to sleep but he inevitably rolls onto his belly. Since the risk of SIDS isn't supposed to decrease until 6 mos should I roll him back onto his back in the middle of the night? Our pediatrician and others I have asked have said that once they can roll onto their tummies the risk of SIDS has exponentially decreased because they have the muscle strength to turn their heads and push up, etc. However, I still remained concerned. Do you all agree that it's ok to leave him in whatever position he chooses to place himself while he sleeps? And of course we do not have comforters or anything fluffy (just a sheet) in the crib. Thanks!

kaharris83
01-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Our little guy started doing that right around that time too. There was no point in rolling him back over in our case because he'd just roll right back to his tummy. I know it's hard not to worry with all the Back to Sleep stuff being thrown at us, but if your little one is strong enough to roll over they will be strong enough to lift their head if needed.

wellyes
01-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Once they start rolling, it's kind of out of your hands. Don't worry too much, just enjoy his newfound mobility. I do kind of prefer it when they stay exactly where I put them, but that stage is short.

crl
01-10-2011, 11:13 AM
I did not roll dd back over.

Catherine

Penny's Pappa
01-10-2011, 11:30 AM
Once they start rolling, it's kind of out of your hands. Don't worry too much, just enjoy his newfound mobility. I do kind of prefer it when they stay exactly where I put them, but that stage is short.

:yeahthat:

JBaxter
01-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Nope. 1. He will just roll back over 2 you may wake him up!

vonfirmath
01-10-2011, 11:39 AM
I rolled my son over at first. But as soon as he went to immediately flipping again when I turned him, I gave it up as a lost cause.

I felt better when he could roll over BOTH ways on his own though.

BabyBearsMom
01-10-2011, 12:09 PM
I spent about 2 days repeatedly rolling DD back onto her back before I just gave up. Now I just let her sleep however she wants to sleep.

naam
01-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Leave him. My oldest DS started rolling over at 2 months old and the ped. said as long as he was turning his head (and there wasn't a bumper in the crib) it was fine.

AnimalBabe
01-10-2011, 01:39 PM
Thanks everyone! I think I'll just leave him as he is then. I think he may even sleep longer on his belly, who knows. He tends to cry when he wakes and finds himself on his belly since he's not great at rolling the other way yet, but hopefully he will get better at that soon.

AnnieW625
01-10-2011, 01:43 PM
No I don't, DD1 became a better sleeper once she started sleeping on her tummy. DD2 does both, but most of the time sleeps on her side. I don't turn her over either.