PDA

View Full Version : Moisturizer rec's

Roni
01-10-2011, 01:58 PM
I need to find a new moisturizer for my family. I particularly need something for dd1 who tends to have dry itchy, skin and eczema. I ckecked the Skin Deep database, but I find it so overwhelming. I'm thinkng maybe Aveeno daily moisturizer, but their products are all over the map safety-wise that I'm afraid to get too attached to that brand. What do others use?

TIA

fedoragirl
01-10-2011, 02:12 PM
I use California Baby Calendula cream when DD had eczema. It cleared it right away. I also use Weleda Calendula lotion for our family. It's expensive but a little goes a long way.
My CA baby cream is now close to finishing after one year of daily use.

lil_acorn
01-10-2011, 03:17 PM
We love Vanicream

momm
01-10-2011, 03:19 PM
I use the Vaseline body lotion.. we love it!

writermama
01-10-2011, 03:21 PM
For general moisturizer, I love the California Baby Fragrance Free lotion. It's thicker than Cetaphil (another good one), thinner than Vanicream (popular among eczema sufferers), and relatively easy to find (I buy it at Target in the Baby section).

sunshine873
01-10-2011, 03:27 PM
I've used Burts Bees buttermilk baby lotion on DD on an occasional basis. I try not to use it every day, but use it more often in the winter months. I love the way it smells, but we use a lot of Burts Bees baby products (diaper rash ointment & baby shampoo.)

For me...I have no recommendations. Still all over the map on that one. I have used the same (Burts Bees) on myself & really liked it, but it's not cheap, so I'm still hunting...

RunnerDuck
01-10-2011, 03:27 PM
We were using california baby on my son. He developed a staph infection. I am not saying it was from the CB but while I thought the CB was controlling the eczema well enough, it was NOT - he was still scratching. He ended up with staph all over his legs and it was awful. We took him to med express and they gave him abx and then I took him to a derm figuring it was time to stop trying to fight this OTC/natural. She put him on some nasty ointment until the worst of it was cleared up (triminclinone or something) and then suggested Cereva cream. It is behind the counter at our Target pharmacy - I paid $10.50 for a huge tub but my friend in VA whose dr. suggested it at the same time for her kid paid more like $16. At any rate - it is AMAZING. I have never felt my son's legs so smooth. It is our new best friend. Where it is safety wise I couldn't tell ya but I know I never knew eczema could be that serious and I never want to mess with that again.

The derm said people with eczema lack a protein in their skin called ceremide so you really need something with that in it for eczema. I suspect a lot of people think they have eczema when they really just have severe dry skin, which is why reactions to products are so varied. So if notthing else is working for you make sure what you use has ceremide in it. Curel anti-itch does and I thought it worked great on me but DS wouldn't let me use it on him, he said it burned.

eta - cetaphil restoraderm was another she suggested.

stinkyfeet
01-10-2011, 03:30 PM
We love Vanicream
:yeahthat:

We use vanicream in the fall/winter and ca baby super sensitive lotion in the soring/summer.

Pinky
01-10-2011, 03:54 PM
We love Eucerin and Aquaphor!

jse107
01-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Curel user here. (The thick anti-itch stuff)

wendibird22
01-10-2011, 04:13 PM
I'm a new user of vanicream and really like it. Thick but not so thick that it takes forever to apply and soak in.

TwoBees
01-10-2011, 04:15 PM
For myself (body) I will only use Jergens Ultra Healing lotion. I have tried many others and keep coming back to that.

For DD I really like Avalon Organics Baby Lotion.