PDA

View Full Version : am I the only one <35 without a smartphone?

AnnieW625
01-10-2011, 03:08 PM
My trusty 5/1/2 yr. old Motorola E815 flip phone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_E815) is getting close to being on it's last legs (it's only the second phone I have had in the 9 yrs. I have had a cell phone). I use it as a phone, and get a few text messages, but never enough to warrant having a texting plan. I have always thought I would get an Iphone or a Droid once the Iphone comes to Verizon, but now I am just not sure (my plan is to compare the two in person first). I like the idea of a smart phone, but I am still very old school. I still have a large paper calendar on my desk, and I still carry a small mini paper planner in my purse.

So are there any other people out there like me who is just not drawn into the whole world of smart phones? If I don't get a smart phone and my phone dies I'll be blessed with using this phone described by the reviewer at Cnet.com as being "a senior citizen phone" (http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-20011500-85.html) or maybe I'll cough over $5 per month and get a phone that texts; but I could get this phone for free and not have to sign a 2 yr. contract (I hate contracts!).

c&j04
01-10-2011, 03:10 PM
:wavey:I don't as of a week ago. I'm at home now and have faster internet there so why pay the $25 month???

Ceepa
01-10-2011, 03:10 PM
My basic phone and I are going strong. LOL

jse107
01-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Um, I use a Tracfone. So, no. No smartphone here. Although I am *just* shy of your age range....

momm
01-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Me!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a phone that I am almost ashamed to bring out in public.. but it's for emergencies only anyway. I was checking my phone the other day and I had TWELVE days between calls (incoming/ outgoing/ missed)

TWELVE!

Puddy73
01-10-2011, 03:13 PM
I'm over 35 and I use a Tracfone. I admit to being pea green with envy over DH's iphone but I just can't justify the cost for me right now.

DietCokeLover
01-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Me and my dumbphone are doing well. Almost got an iPhone, but our budget doesn't have room for the extra $25 for something like that right now. AND I love paper calendars!

MSWR0319
I'm 29 and just use a flip phone with my AT&T prepaid plan! I dont talk enough to have a monthly plan plus we have a home phone.

boolady
I'm over 35, and I have a dumb LG. Nothing smart about this phone, but it's fine for me.

khalloc
01-10-2011, 03:15 PM
No! I am 32 and dont have one. I have a Motorola Razor. I want a smartphone though, but I dont use my cellphone enough to justify it, plus I cant afford the monthly payment right now. Once DD goes to Kindergarten I will get one though, when I am not paying $$$ for her to go to daycare.

BabbyO
01-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Ok, I'm not quite 35...but close. Anyway, nope, I don't have a smart phone. quite frankly I rarely text, either. My phone is a phone. Thats what I do with it...call people. My phone cost $0.01.

It doesn't take pictures, either.

Oh, and when DS is screaming because he wants a "button" I love that I can lock the keys and hand it to him (always supervised). Because so what if he breaks my one penny phone? And he's not going to accidentally call anyone.

Nope, no need for a smart phone. Though it also took a lot of persuading from DH to get a cell phone in the first place....

wencit
01-10-2011, 03:20 PM
Well, I am 35, and I like my dinosaur phone just fine. While I like the idea of being able to connect to the Internet (and check the BBB ;)) anywhere, I don't want to be saddled with extra fees for it. If I need to Google something while I'm out and about, I'll just call one of my friends WITH a smartphone, LOL! Like a PP, I don't text, either. The only thing my cell phone is useful for is talking on the phone. Imagine that.

wendibird22
01-10-2011, 03:23 PM
I'm 35 and no smartphone either. Mine is a touch screen and looks like an iphone but it makes calls and I do text. I picked it more for size and battery life than looks and function. I always forget to charge my phone so the one with the longest battery life while in idle wins my vote every time.

robinsmommy
01-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Well, I had a dinosaur phone until Christmas - my sister gave me her "old" iPhone (she lost it and the batteries ran out before they could locate it by calling.....so she bought a new one, and bingo, the old one turned up). I'm still figuring out how to use it (with the exception of the game features, which I know far too much about - Angry Birds is great, BTW).

And i haven't entirely lost my text virginity - I've received 2 but never sent....

My prior phone was a prepaid. And honestly, we are erm, Luddites, or late adapters - we got an imac on black Friday to replace our 7 year old Dell desktop. (which is what, like, 91 in computer years?) And we are leery of any wireless technology - cell phones, wifi, cordless phones, etc.

tribe pride
01-10-2011, 03:33 PM
No smart phones for us, either! DH and I are perfectly happy with our old school flip phones. We use them almost exclusively for phone calls- they don't have internet, and we send maybe 1 text/month.

We're a bit anti-technology, though. Neither of us has an ipod, ipad, etc., and we don't own a television, either.

RunnerDuck
01-10-2011, 03:34 PM
I have the free LG flip phone verizon gave out with our last contract. I dream of a qwerty keyboard. And I am 33.

SnuggleBuggles
01-10-2011, 03:39 PM
Nope. I have the cheapest phone at the Verizon store that didn't require a data plan. I am just too cheap to pay any more on my cell phone bill for now. Plus, I think my kids and dh would hate me if I could be online when we were out and about! There are times that it would be really handy but I survive without one. :)

Beth

kijip
01-10-2011, 03:53 PM
No. I tried and it just is not for me. Frankly, I don't even appreciate having a cell phone at all. I use mine on a very limited basis.

niccig
01-10-2011, 03:58 PM
I don't have one. My phone does get internet, but it's cheap plan and I plan to take it off as it's too difficult to use and I don't really use it.

I do have an iPod Touch and that lets me have the calendar, to do list. I can use that to get on wifi at starbucks etc.

Clarity
01-10-2011, 03:58 PM
I don't have a smartphone. I'm just not sure if the added expense of the data plan is worth it to me. I do have an Itouch and I see an IPad in my future so I may just get a better phone, (i.e. qwerty style) for texting but right now I have a simple Kyocera.

Seitvonzu
01-10-2011, 03:59 PM
no smartphone here... i do text some, but it's a COMPLETE pain. and i'm glad-- i don't want to text anymore...or use the internet while out and about.

my DH & i actually have ONE PHONE between us. i usually have it, since i'm driving with lucy (for safety)... i have been thinking about getting 2 phones lately, but neither would be "smart" ;)

BabyMine
01-10-2011, 04:01 PM
I have a paper calendar and planner in my purse and I see nothing wrong with that. I HATE cellphones but I have smartphone becasue DH works for the company and we get good deals. I can't count how many times I have wanted to throw it out the window. Before DH worked there I had a prepaid plan and that was fine.

I forgot that I do use my phone for the navigation and kid games.

artvandalay
01-10-2011, 04:02 PM
I'm 35 and I don't text. If I need to send someone a message I call them. I'm a SAHM so I have access to the internet all day at home. I don't see a point in paying the extra $ per month to have a smart phone. I just have a regular, small Samsung phone, which I love because it is tiny. I can fit it anywhere.

H has a smartphone, so if we are ever out and about and need to look at something, he can pull it up.

I can see where it would come in handy for other people with different lifestyles, but I don't need one right now. But if someone gave me a free one and didn't increase my monthly bill, I wouldn't refuse it ;)

nov04
01-10-2011, 04:07 PM
dh has a phone with the most sophisticated feature being a camera. He's quite happy with it, I'm considering asking him to switch because he doesn't use any type of planner, paper or computer and its tough for us to coordinate.

We do text quite a bit during the day to plan things.

Carrots
01-10-2011, 04:17 PM
I don't have one. I turned 35 a week ago, though.... do I still count? ;)

We have new verizon phones that have limited data plans for 10.00 extra a month. DH uses it more than me (on Sundays when we are away from the TV so he can check his beloved fantasy football scores). Since I am home and have access to the internet at all times, I don't need it as much. :)

MrsZaz
01-10-2011, 04:33 PM
Sounds intriguing...which phone do you have? MIne recently got dumped in a cup of tea, so I am in the market. I need a phone with great volume control (I'm hearing impaired). I'm finding all the different types of phones overwhelming.

Thanks

Colleen

Snow mom
01-10-2011, 05:00 PM
I also still live in the land of the flip phone. In fact, this morning I accidentally opened DDs play phone (which is an even older cell phone) and tried to place a call from it.

ETA: The cost of texting and smart phones is a huge turnoff to me. I can't imagine ever putting that into my budget.

Babymakes3
01-10-2011, 05:03 PM
I am 28 and have just a motorola Nextel flip phone that is about 5 years old and nearing it's last leg. I'm going to stick with it a bit longer and then upgrade.

lalasmama
01-10-2011, 05:06 PM
My trusty 5/1/2 yr. old Motorola E815 flip phone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_E815) is getting close to being on it's last legs (it's only the second phone I have had in the 9 yrs. I have had a cell phone). I use it as a phone, and get a few text messages, but never enough to warrant having a texting plan. I have always thought I would get an Iphone or a Droid once the Iphone comes to Verizon, but now I am just not sure (my plan is to compare the two in person first). I like the idea of a smart phone, but I am still very old school. I still have a large paper calendar on my desk, and I still carry a small mini paper planner in my purse.

So are there any other people out there like me who is just not drawn into the whole world of smart phones? If I don't get a smart phone and my phone dies I'll be blessed with using this phone described by the reviewer at Cnet.com as being "a senior citizen phone" (http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-20011500-85.html) or maybe I'll cough over $5 per month and get a phone that texts; but I could get this phone for free and not have to sign a 2 yr. contract (I hate contracts!).

I thought I was the only one!!! :) I actually just upgraded.... to a phone that *looks* like a blackberry, but was $50 at Cricket... and still not a smartphone. My friend does support for iphones... and that's why I'm not getting one! :hysterical: I can't afford the issues and support costs, along with switching carriers.

elephantmeg
01-10-2011, 05:12 PM
I don't have one either but lust after one. We could afford it but DH thinks it's crazy to pay for the monthly bill and I don't NEED one. Sigh.

ett
01-10-2011, 05:30 PM
I'm 35 and don't have a smartphone. I was just telling DH the other day that I feel like I'm the only one around my age without one. The monthly data plan cost is the one factor that's keeping us from getting one.

zag95
01-10-2011, 07:10 PM
I'm a few years over 35 and I don't have any fancy smancy phones- mine is a flip phone (maybe an LG??)

Don't have a Ipod either, or a nook/kindle/ereader, or an ipad/iphone/ianything! I am technologically behind.

I do have an upgraded computer (as of Oct) when ours decided to blink out. And I'm staying at home with DD a while, so we've cut our budget......

I'm actually pretty OK with low technology..... just give me a digital camera!

ABO Mama
01-10-2011, 08:33 PM
I'll be 35 with no cell phone. But, as a SAHM, I don't really need one. DH is trying to talk me into getting a phone, but I really don't see the need for it (he has a smartphone that he uses for work and personal).

urquie
01-10-2011, 09:25 PM
I'm over 35 and I use a Tracfone.
:yeahthat:

Tondi G
01-10-2011, 10:39 PM
I am <35 and I have an OLD samsung flip phone. It has a camera (but you can't download the pics anywhere) I can text but it takes me forever. My DH has been pushing to get new phones... we've had the new every 2 come up a few times. He was pushing for the Droid X but I think I would like to have a real keyboard. Now that the iphone might be coming to Verizon I might try to go check the Droid 2 and the iphone side by side and see which one I like better.

Honestly it would be convenient to be able to check email from my phone and I would like to be able to text from a keyboard (it takes forever for me to text short messages at this point). I've lived with my ancient phone for many years though and I know how it works... there are no surprises, which I like. My sister had a blackberry and then her fiance got them both an htc phone and she has been going nuts with the switch. She handed me her phone and said "oh will you call mom for me?" I didn't even know how to dial out! I'll have a lot to learn and figure out if we upgrade.

Good Luck!