PDA

View Full Version : Quick cover letter question

HIU8
01-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Do you always include salary requirement in a cover letter, whether it is asked for or not?

khalloc
01-10-2011, 03:13 PM
I would never include salary requirements in a cover letter. I dont think you should even talk about it until you get a job offer. Or at least try not too. Sometimes companies will press you for a range.

TwoBees
01-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Don't include one unless the job posting requires it (eg, "Inquires without required salary ranges will not be considered." <-- I've seen that before).

HIU8
01-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Ok. I've just sent one that required it or they would not consider a resume. One I'm doing now says nothing about it. I won't include it.

momm
01-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Never.

The salary discussion is usually with an HR person (not a tech manager for e.g.) and therefore better left for the correct time and place.

When I was with my last two companies and interviewing others, we would be put off by people mentioning salary expectations without being asked about it.

HIU8
01-10-2011, 03:24 PM
OYE, it's been 4 years since I've had to do this. I've been working PT and those positions just sort of fell into my lap. Now I have to get back into it again and it's been really hard. But, since the economy stinks, I had better get over it and get with it.

tiapam
01-10-2011, 03:30 PM
OYE, it's been 4 years since I've had to do this. I've been working PT and those positions just sort of fell into my lap. Now I have to get back into it again and it's been really hard. But, since the economy stinks, I had better get over it and get with it.

This is a really good book on salary negotiation:

http://www.amazon.com/Negotiating-Your-Salary-Make-Minute/dp/0931213193/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1294687641&sr=8-1-spell

In it he recommends that you never discuss it so early. And you should never give the first suggestion on salary. I think he suggests this wording:

If I am the best person for the job, I am sure we will be able to come to an agreement on compensation.

I would suggest you get this book now, read it now, and then again before actual negotiations.

Good luck.

hillview
01-10-2011, 04:45 PM
I would never include salary requirements in a cover letter. I dont think you should even talk about it until you get a job offer. Or at least try not too. Sometimes companies will press you for a range.

:yeahthat::yeahthat:

HIU8
01-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Thank you. This is a definite read for me.