PDA

View Full Version : Mac, peg or trip?

purpelina
01-10-2011, 04:43 PM
This is for a friend. I'm calling myself mac expert, but I never owned an inglesina trip (never even played with one), and am certainly not a peg expert. (P3 is the one in question).
My friend is looking for a lightweight do-it-all stroller for a 2 y.o. here in the 'burbs we don't use strollers much, and she doesn't need an all terrain. But something spacious for a mall trip, and sturdy for an occasioanl travel (air or car), that will also be comfy for a longer outing. And cost under 100 (new or used in good condition)

Macs are good, but a bit bare bones (say triumph), others (say quest or techno) are more expensive, and she finds techno too tall. She also doesn't need the super compact size and fold, as she never takes PT and has space in the car.
So I thought, a nice used peg or an inglesina trip off albeebaby might fit the bill? Is inglesina as tall as mac techno?

My guess is, that a p3 might be a very good match for her, but I know practically nothing about these. Please enlighten me!

BTW, this is mainly graco land, but graco is just too heavy for occasional use. Peg seems like a good option?

purpelina
01-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Helloooo! Anyooooneee Pleaaaaseeee!

how about bjcm to throw into the mix?

csnoop
01-10-2011, 10:21 PM
Well, I will take a stab at it. For one thing, P3 and the trip are not comparable. P3 is more comparable to the zippy (lightweight plus). I just got a new Triumph for my car/travel stroller. I gave my zippy to a friend who is moving overseas. Many of my friends had P3 (all 3+ yrs old). Zippy definitely push FAR better than P3. It manuevers really well. Triumph does work for my purposes but I feel every bump on the road. I live in the city though. I have never played with a trip though. My zippy weighed 17lbs and was 3 yrs old. Someone told me the newer ones weigh 20lbs.
CC

npl
01-10-2011, 10:25 PM
If the techno is too tall, the bjcm will be, too. I'm 5'1", and find the bjcm handlebar comes way too high for me to push comfortably. The triumph/quest is fine, and the peg p3 is a bit high but manageable. It might be just fine for her. I do find it a little heavy, but the umbrella fold makes it easier to lift into the trunk than a lighter stroller that has a squarer fold (like a book fold) because you don't have to lift it so high off the ground to get it clear of the lip of the trunk (does that make sense?)
I know nothing about the Trip - sorry!

purpelina
01-10-2011, 10:51 PM
Thanks :) Appreciate your input. I'm tall myself, and it's hard for me to judge how good the handle height is...
Si zippy or p3 might be a good solution. I personally like triumph / quest very muchm yet I have to agree one feels every bump. It's not an issue at the mall, but for occasional off-roading it might. (nothing huge though, like say a trip to the zoo - when we go, we stay total of 2 hours at the most, and I never personally feel the need for a true at, and take one just because I have one :)
My friend seems to be the same way, but she does not have an AT, so is looking for a lighter weight, smaller (and cheaper) compromise.

Pbl427
01-10-2011, 11:16 PM
I love our inglesina trip and it has served us well for just the same purpose as you describe, however, the handles are probably too tall for your friend. I like the Trip MUCH better than the triumph because it is far less tippy, a tad more plush (tad), I like the taller handles and I feel like it handles sidewalks better. We have our Trip and my in-law's Triumph when we are in NYC so I compared them side by side there. I am only 5'4", but the height of the Trip feels much better to me. While I can't compare it to a Techno, I know it is taller than a Triumph, so I am guessing it is to tall for you purpose.

purpelina
01-11-2011, 01:10 AM
Thanks for your input, Pbl427. I've never even seen this stroller at a store to play around with it, so really am curious. I'm even thinking to get it for myself instead of macs that I had. Mac triumph is just about right height for me, feels a tad low when I walk a lot with it, or if I'm wearing any kinds of heels.:loveeyes: How are the wheels btw? Or should I say tires? Basically, how fast do they wear out? (if at all). I had a mac that I used and abused, and after a while I could see how wheels became uneven. It was still usable and pushed well. Now, I had a graco, and it had best rubber wheels ever. I abused it quite a lot (it was my AT so to speak), and there was pretty much no wear visible on the wheels! Amazing. I'd love to have an umbrella with such wheels, and I would be all set. I noticed that older gracos had better wheels in general...

Anyway, seems that trip is out of question for my friend, I just talked to her and she is thinking about zippy or p3, possibly graco mosaic. Depends on cl deals, really.

blondflava
01-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Peg Perego Si!!! I think it's an underrated stroller, but would work out perfectly. I am selling my Maclaren because it was too bare bones to me, great for quick in-and-out of the car trips but for longer outings, not so much. Too tippy for mall (and my almost 2 year old daughter hops on and off often), basket too small for any shopping, let alone diaper bag (with BJCM I can hang it on the handle and won't tip empty, letting me chase my not-so-obedient toddler around).
Now, the Si folds umbrella style, similar to Pliko but lighter, big sunshade, and recline, not tippy and has some space in basket. OR BJCM, why not :D, I love mine and DD is very comfortable for her, it'll be great for spring and summer long outings as well, because of the awesome canopy, has some suspension in front so can handle light bumps and bigger wheels will roll over playground mulch or zoo wood chips easy!

purpelina
01-11-2011, 10:39 AM
bjcm would be my suggestion, too - it's just out of her budget. Unless a nice deal comes along!
Blondflava, do you like bjcm more than peg si? Seems like you do!

lele
01-11-2011, 10:45 AM
I have a 2005 p3 and it's been really good to me. I used it with a graco snugride for a while and then just on its own. The step bar on the back was great when I had 2 under 2. It folds nicely and has not been a problem getting into and out of my car. Large sun canopy. It's been used in a suburban setting--shopping, walks in the neighborhood and such.

blondflava
01-11-2011, 03:14 PM
I have a thing for 3-wheelers, other than that, I'd probably get the Si LOL. I think there are too many strollers out there for me to be happy with one for too long! I think Si would make a better mall stroller as it's more narrow than BJCM, I'm not really a mall dweller, come nice weather and you won't really see me in the mall till next November LOL (that really made me choose BJCM, I more need a slightly rugged lightweight for outdoor stuff than a typical mall stroller).
Has she looked at Aria? It's in the Peg family and would make a good mall/errand stroller (it has a look that not everyone likes though).

ETA:http://www.albeebaby.com/peg-perego-aria-oh-stroller-2008-tango.html
On sale for 99 with free shipping.. The basket is perfect for mall!!

ijopint
01-11-2011, 06:13 PM
I was looking into these strollers too for my babysitter. Peg perego vela,Inglesina trip and Zooper Twist. but end up getting the Zippy.
amazing fold! like I could hold my baby on one hand and fold the stroller at the same time. The basket is not that big but you can hang your diaper bag or your bag on both handles and it will not tipped at all! DH was also happy with the Zippy.

purpelina
01-11-2011, 07:05 PM
all great suggestions everyone! I feel like getting a p3 or a zippy myself - kidding :) I think I developed a crash on 3 wheelers.