PDA

View Full Version : Afterschooling suggestions

Dcclerk
01-10-2011, 05:45 PM
My DH and I are interested in supplementing our kiddos' education, but are at a crossroads as to how to do it. I'm not interested in adding more worksheets to their lives because, well, I think they have more than they need already. In my ideal world, I would have these great lesson plans that would be kid-specific in its expectations around the same theme which culminates in a field trip of some sort. However, I work part-time in an extremely intense, high pressure job and have 4 kids, one of whom still takes long naps, so I also need to be realistic in my own ability to create such a curriculum from scratch. Does anyone have some homeschooling curricula or other resources that you think would be helpful for this? (My age range is preschool to early elementary.)

Many thanks in advance!

daisymommy
01-10-2011, 05:52 PM
My first thought is...in addition to homework?

Katigre
01-10-2011, 05:55 PM
What subjects specifically are you looking to supplement? There is a whole 'afterschooling board' here: http://welltrainedmind.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

They're a classical education website (not sure if you're familiar with that philosophy).

Dcclerk
01-10-2011, 06:11 PM
It would be in addition to homework, which takes about 20 minutes tops here. Homework is invariably worksheets, and I'm not overwhelmed with how fabulous they are. My kids like to learn, so we just want to find something that is interesting and engaging so that they continue to find learning fun and natural. The worksheets, for me, suck the life out of liking to learn and put it into the chore category.

I'm not familiar with classical education, but will definitely poke around there to find out. Thanks for your suggestion!

Jenny_A
01-10-2011, 06:17 PM
I'm not at that stage yet. My DD is PK4, but I've often thought I'd like to supplement my kids education too. What about something like a Kaplan online curriculum? I think it's Kaplan that I've seen commericals for. I think some of the tutoring type companies, such as Kaplan, have online programs. You might look into something along those lines.

Can someone explain what a "classical education" is? I'm not familiar with the term.

brittone2
01-10-2011, 06:19 PM
Are you looking to supplement mostly math or other subjects?

I'd do some manipulatives based play/experimenting for math. You could use a lot of the same manipulatives for the different ages. I'd look at games, and books like Family Math or Games for Math to get some ideas (they may or may not fit what you are looking for but could be a starting point?). My DS1 also likes the MathStart series which is a great way to introduce certain concepts (they have books on place value, perimeter, you name it). DS1 also likes the Sir Cumference series of books. (eta: the Sir Cumference and Math Start books are a literature based approach to math. They introduce math concepts in a story and DS1 has enjoyed them. Another great series are Mitsumasa Anno's books like the Mysterious Multiplying Jar, Anno's Magic Seeds, etc.)

Are you looking for science, history, etc. as well?

eta: We use Miquon and Singapore together. Miquon has a "laboratory based" approach using things like cuisinaire rods, etc. There are worksheets but they are exploration based. The books are affordable but they aren't really self explanatory (if you go that route I'd recommend the Annotations and reading through the First Grade Diary if that applies to you. It gives you an idea of how they were implemented in a laboratory school. We do a lot of play with manipulatives...cuisinaire rods, base 10 set, tangrams and other logic puzzles, clock, abacus, linking cubes, etc.

vonfirmath
01-10-2011, 06:21 PM
Another thing to do is to play lots of games. Most games have great educational value. Strategy, logic, and math. Some are literary and involve coming up with words/stories as well.

rlu
01-10-2011, 06:38 PM
If you do tv we have found the Eyewitness series worthwhile. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=eyewitness+dvd+series

They have an extensive book library as well. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=eyewitness+book+series

eta: one of the blogs I read is a homeschooler who uses the Magic Tree House series as a guide for lessons. Not sure if the books are too young for OP's kids, but basically for the series there are also research guide books. Can't remember which blogger that is though.

eta again: Amy Karol, angry chicken - here's a link or two http://angrychicken.typepad.com/angry_chicken/2010/05/rainforest-learning.html

http://angrychicken.typepad.com/angry_chicken/2010/03/save-our-ship.html
http://angrychicken.typepad.com/angry_chicken/2010/02/sarph-the-misunderstood-sea-sepent.html

brittone2
01-10-2011, 07:20 PM
I wanted to also add that it depends somewhat on whether your goal is to reinforce/supplement what they are doing at school or to introduce new concepts, new ways of thinking through problems, etc. kwim?

For example, DS1 and I play with analogies. I have an analogies book for K-3 and we tend to do these together (I don't expect him to write in the answers, we play it more like a fun game we do together and we just run through them verbally. He likes logic puzzles, etc). I think taking that approach can work well for afterschooling since it isn't repetition of what they did in class all day, kwim?

Games like Set, Rush Hour, etc. can serve a similar approach in that they would focus on logic/reasoning etc, but not necessarily re-drilling what was done in school.

Dcclerk
01-10-2011, 08:30 PM
These are great suggestions. I'm not remotely concerned about expanding on what they are already learning. I am more interested in just making learning fun.

DS is not challenged at all at school, and we don't have GATE classes so I don't see that changing any time soon. His teacher sends extra homework for him in math that is more geared toward kids in a few grades above, but I don't love that he is somewhat punished for getting concepts quickly. (He could finish the other homework in 2 minutes, but his additional work takes much longer and requires DH and I to teach the cncepts.) There are many non-academic reasons why keeping him at the school makes sense, but I do think that we need to do more to challenge him and make learning interesting.

We have some of the games that you mention, and I have to admit that I don't love playing games, so that is a good reminder. I actually think that could also help with a competitive streak that can turn into a sore loser attitude if not abated.

Additionally, DS has read most of the Magic Treehouse books (we have almost all of them), and he adores the Research Guides. I bet I could find something to springboard off them. I will definitely read the suggested blog.

I have some Cuisinaire Rods and even got a book or two plus the notes, and it is still jibberish to me. I wish I had a Cuisinaire teacher that could just coach me a bit, because I suspect that if I saw them in action, I would really love it.

Any other suggestions are much appreciated!

brittone2
01-10-2011, 08:38 PM
These are great suggestions. I'm not remotely concerned about expanding on what they are already learning. I am more interested in just making learning fun.

DS is not challenged at all at school, and we don't have GATE classes so I don't see that changing any time soon. His teacher sends extra homework for him in math that is more geared toward kids in a few grades above, but I don't love that he is somewhat punished for getting concepts quickly. (He could finish the other homework in 2 minutes, but his additional work takes much longer and requires DH and I to teach the cncepts.) There are many non-academic reasons why keeping him at the school makes sense, but I do think that we need to do more to challenge him and make learning interesting.

We have some of the games that you mention, and I have to admit that I don't love playing games, so that is a good reminder. I actually think that could also help with a competitive streak that can turn into a sore loser attitude if not abated.

Additionally, DS has read most of the Magic Treehouse books (we have almost all of them), and he adores the Research Guides. I bet I could find something to springboard off them. I will definitely read the suggested blog.

I have some Cuisinaire Rods and even got a book or two plus the notes, and it is still jibberish to me. I wish I had a Cuisinaire teacher that could just coach me a bit, because I suspect that if I saw them in action, I would really love it.

Any other suggestions are much appreciated!

I wonder if there are youtube videos demonstrating concepts using cuisenaire rods? I wouldn't be surprised.

You could also google Marilyn Burns and win-win math games. I found her site recently while looking for something new for DS1. eta: she has books as well but no experience with those yet. I've been looking at a few on amazon though. The win win math games would give you some idea of the type of math games she includes in her books.

egoldber
01-10-2011, 09:07 PM
My older DD loves logic puzzles and games. I would be a little cautious of extending him in the current curriculum because he'll just be even more ahead, KWIM? So doing different types of things that still build mathy skills would be my personal emphasis.

That being said, we have a variety of things around that older DD likes to do:

Mindware Perplexors
Mindbenders

We also have this book that she likes to work in: Primary Grade Challenge Math by Zaccaro (http://www.amazon.com/Primary-Grade-Challenge-Edward-Zaccaro/dp/0967991536)

We also have the Singapore Math curriculum in her current grade and the grade ahead that she works on for fun sometimes.

She does like the Eyewitness videos that a PP mentioned. We got a bunch of those from the library this summer.

Raidra
01-10-2011, 09:47 PM
I wanted to also add that it depends somewhat on whether your goal is to reinforce/supplement what they are doing at school or to introduce new concepts, new ways of thinking through problems, etc. kwim?

For example, DS1 and I play with analogies. I have an analogies book for K-3 and we tend to do these together (I don't expect him to write in the answers, we play it more like a fun game we do together and we just run through them verbally. He likes logic puzzles, etc). I think taking that approach can work well for afterschooling since it isn't repetition of what they did in class all day, kwim?

Games like Set, Rush Hour, etc. can serve a similar approach in that they would focus on logic/reasoning etc, but not necessarily re-drilling what was done in school.

This is what I would go for. Try to expand on his logic/reasoning, spatial awareness, creativity, etc. If you want to foster a love of learning, I would be really hesitant to force anything, especially since he's already at school all day and having to do homework. Look up the blog kidswhothink.blogspot.com for some really fun engineering/creative challenges. I know you said you don't like games, and honestly, I don't like many kids games. But the good ones are worth searching out because they can teach your kids so much and they don't even realize it. :) Just learning strategy and how to think ahead is valuable.

Tondi G
01-10-2011, 10:20 PM
Not exactly what you are looking for but I was helping my DS with a book report over the winter break and we came across a blog done by a home schooling mom. I loved all the things she did with her kids while reading the book, to learn from it and pull it all together. It makes me really want to attempt to do similar stuff with my boys.

http://delightfullearning.blogspot.com/2010/11/homer-price.html

I'm going to have to see if my library has the eyewitness series on DVD... I think my kiddos might enjoy it too!

Good Luck... I have bright kiddos too and they need to challenge their brains outside of worksheets and standard curriculum ... and not just have extra work piled on them. I want them to love learning and not be bored.

bubbaray
01-10-2011, 10:26 PM
My older DD loves logic puzzles and games. I would be a little cautious of extending him in the current curriculum because he'll just be even more ahead, KWIM? So doing different types of things that still build mathy skills would be my personal emphasis.

This.

DD#1 was waaaay ahead last year in math. We added Sudoku puzzles, which she enjoyed most of the year (not this year though). We try to do other activities (she likes being busy) and not workbooks (though she does enjoy those too). You could consider adding a language (DD#1 is in French Immersion, so she already has the added challenge of a new language at school).

Katigre
01-10-2011, 10:46 PM
I would probably do books on tape - even a history course like Story of the World (http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/history-and-geography/story-of-the-world.html) on audiobook or to read aloud together. But for me, the afterschool conceot most important to DH and myself is history b/c our public schools teach it so poorly.

Dcclerk
01-13-2011, 02:38 PM
Thank you so much for all of your suggestions. I really am excited about what we are starting to do. You all made me think of what kind of skills/subjects are lacking at school so that I could focus on adding to a lack.

I think that we need better understanding of the math concepts-- he intuitively knows how to do stuff, but may not be able to explain it. I ordered the book that Beth recommended and look forward to working with it.

I've started doing analogies in the car with them, and it is really fun. I do the carpool on Tuesdays for 4 kinders and on Weds. for 4 second graders and I totally had them engaged the whole time. Usually we do a round robin story where I start with a theme and then each kid adds to it, with me interjecting to add some flow and get them going along a story line. They love that, but analogies are a good way to mix things up. Do you just make them up or do you use books as a basis?

I got the Greece Magic Treehouse Research Guide, and we will be read the story (my son reading to my little ones) for most of it as a jumping off place. I can already imagine them developing a mini olympics for the neighborhood kiddos and having a blast.

Once I am done with that, I think we will try the Story of the World on the same-ish time period to see what they are most engaged by.

I stumbled onto a huge pack of those make-your-own plates kits, which my kids generally do via a preschool class each year. They are the plates that my kids eat off of every day. I am going to have them make a plate for each unit that we go over, so that we have something to look back on and remind us of the unit.

Speaking of art, my daughter seems to be very right brain dominant and much less linear in thinking. She loves art and is quite good at it, so I also want to make a priority of developing that by giving them some inspiration pieces to work from and having them do some more art. I got some canvases (cheapo ones for a couple of bucks) and had them look through inspiration books for ideas. I chose Knuffle Bunny, The Princess and the Pea by Lauren Child, Falling for Rapunzel by Leah Wilcox, and a couple of Eric Carle books. I told them to notice that the authors drew on real photographs or cut out real photographs to make paper dolls, animals, trees, etc. in their drawings. Then I gave them a book of photos of wildflowers (from the thrift store for $1) and had them cut it apart for their art. It was really fun to see how each child decided to do their picture.

All that to say, I am really excited about the things that I am starting to do, and I really hope that they look back with fondness at the "extracurriculars" that we do.

Thank you for all of your help. It is fun to be intentional about their education this way!