PDA

View Full Version : Montessori Primary And Keeping Twins Together

Kindra178
01-10-2011, 06:04 PM
I do not want to separate my twins for preschool in the fall, which will be a three year primary Montessori program. They will be young for the grade, as they miss the cut off by 11 and 12 days. They will do three years in primary before moving on to public multiage kindergarten. The school believes that certain Montessori principles points to separation. I disagree, especially because they will be 2 when school starts. Any thoughts, eiutther for or against?

Ps. If we do separate, I will have three children in three different primary classrooms. Logistically, that's a nightmare.

edurnemk
01-10-2011, 06:09 PM
DS is in Montessori preschool, there are 2 sets of twins in his classroom. The youngest ones turned 2 in october, the oldest 2 will turn 3 in March. One of the moms said the school said that with young kids (2 yo) the transition is much easier if they are kept together, and it's really not a problem to keep them together at that age.

At the beginning of the school year, the twins would sit together, then they moved them around and they sit in different tables now.

sewarsh
01-10-2011, 06:28 PM
My DD has 2 sets of twins in her preschool Pre-k class (not montessori).
The parents chose to break up both sets in Pre-k becuase they thought it would be an easier transition than doing it in Kindergarten. They are both happy and no issues thus far.

carolinamama
01-10-2011, 06:37 PM
A good friend of mine had her twins in Montessori preschool together for their 3 years. They started public kindergarten this fall and are in separate classes that have separate lunch times. They rarely see eachother now. But they are fine, even after 3 years in the same preschool classroom. My kids are also both in Montessori and I really don't think that keeping them together will hinder their individual work. I am guessing that they will stick close together at first and then gradually explore things and make new friends on their own.

goldenpig
01-10-2011, 06:42 PM
I could see it both ways but I think they should take your preferences into account. Especially at 2 years. We had only one class for 2 year olds, and have three primary classes. Lots of sibs are in the same primary class (ie 3 year old & 5 year old) together. At our school I think the two sets of twins are separated into different classes but one I think the parents wanted to split them up, and the other family, the boy got moved back from the primary into the toddler class because they were young he was having a harder time adjusting than the girl.

babyonway
01-10-2011, 06:50 PM
My twin neice and nephew were in montesorri for 2 years of preschool and kindergarten and they were in the same class and did a lot of things together (they started at 3 yo). That young they really struggled if they were seperated. Now they are in first grade in different classrooms in public school and love that now.

At a young age I would keep them together esp since that is your instinct you know what is best for your kids.

hillview
01-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Ds1's class has a twin and the other is in another primary class. It was the mom's decision (I asked -- not sure if that is rude!) not the school's. I would think at that age, the parent's desire trumps all. FWIW in my neighborhood we have 2 sets of 6 year old boy twins and they both were in a shared classroom (not montessori) and split up in kindergarten. The moms seem happy.

/hillary

fivi2
01-10-2011, 07:22 PM
I don't know about Montessori, but if a private preschool that I was paying tuition tried to tell me that I *had* to separate my twins, I would be taking my money elsewhere. I am the parent and I make that decision. If they had observed an actual issue with my particular kids in the same class, maybe I would discuss it with them, but to just have a general rule - that is crazy, imo.

My twins were together last year and this year in pre-school (not montessori) and neither teacher reported any concerns (I asked). I will be keeping them together in kinder (in my state the law says the parents decide, although apparently some schools will make your life difficult. I will fight them on it :)). After kinder, we will play it by ear and see how we feel they will do.

Kindra178
01-10-2011, 07:26 PM
I don't know about Montessori, but if a private preschool that I was paying tuition tried to tell me that I *had* to separate my twins, I would be taking my money elsewhere.

My position exactly. I just hope to start the discussion with research in hand. If they fight me on this, I will not tolerate it.

Twin Mom
01-10-2011, 11:36 PM
My twins were together until K when they were separated. Not by choice but b/c there was only 1 class for their age up until they went to public K. Where I live, the state required that multiples be separated in public school but legilslation was passed and now it is up to the parents. I was fine with my twins being separated in K but I think it was also fine for them to be together prior to K.

If you want them together then tell the school that is what you want. I do have an acquaintance with 4 DD's. The youngest 2 are twins. She wanted them in the same class b/c it was too hard for her to keep up with 4 different classrooms. You have to do what works for you.

smilequeen
01-11-2011, 12:16 AM
I have no experience with twins. There is perhaps some evidence that siblings do better separated. However, at my boys' school (also Montessori) they go through a process with the teachers and the parents to decide what is best for each individual family. Most of the families have their children separated, but 2 of them have their kids in the same class and it is the right choice for those families. I definitely think you're feelings and your individual children should be factors in the decision. GL!