PDA

View Full Version : Mamas and Papas Urbo?

dobler88
01-10-2011, 06:07 PM
I can't seem to find much info about this stroller...
I found one at a very good price (50% off, around $250) at babies r us.

From reviews, it looks intriguing-reversible, carseat bar available, etc. It would not be for city dwellling--total mall stroller. I just want something that reverses and accepts car seat (don't really need a bassinet/carrycot). But I don't see any stroller mavens recommending this one--is it only sold at babies r us? Anyone have any good/bad experiences with it?

lele
01-10-2011, 06:10 PM
I've been looking at them online and I think they look intriguing too. If I found one at that price I would buy it for sure!

Was it an internet return at BRU or just out in their normal stock? I would love to find one!

nmstrong
01-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Ya, where did u find it?

roseyloxs
01-10-2011, 09:12 PM
Get it! That sounds like a great price. I am not sure anyone on here owns one yet. Mamas and Papas just came to the US via Babies R Us within the last year.

Baby Gizmo review (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdXxaLB7eVE) at the ABC Expo

twotimesblue
01-10-2011, 09:19 PM
I own one! Have had it since July (bought it in the UK). It is a really great stroller, pushes beautifully, has a great sun canopy and handles daily 2-hour walks around my neighborhood very well. It's comparable to the Bee Plus in terms of features, and is a similar weight, but IMHO it looks more stylish and is far more unusual! How did you find it for such a great price? A total steal for $250; you won't find a better lightweight reversible of this quality for that price!

twotimesblue
01-10-2011, 09:27 PM
I should also mention that the seat is padded and super-comfy... I tried my DS in a Bee Plus and he seemed so much more cosy in the Urbo. It also has a fully-flat recline so can be used for newborns, and also comes with a bumper bar (bassinets can be bought separately I believe). My baby never really took to our Uppababy Vista (no idea why!) but he loves the Urbo and we use it every day. HTH!

purpelina
01-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Now I want one! (I just need a baby to put in there, lol)
I love how the seat is higher off the ground than on the bee. 250 is a great price imho. I'd get it.

twotimesblue
01-10-2011, 09:34 PM
Yes, the seat is quite a lot higher... less exhaust fumes for baby and not as much back strain for tall parents to give toys/snacks to a rear-facing LO!

dobler88
01-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Ok you guys are making me want to run out and grab it tonight! I lost out on the bee I was stalking last week, so if you say it is comparable to a bee that is so promising (esp if it's better--seems like the seat is higher which may add to ease of use).

I found it at my local BRU in the clearance section...I can't tell if it was an internet return or what, but there it was! they don't have any demos, so I think maybe it was an internet return. I hope it's still there tomorrow morning!

purpelina
01-10-2011, 11:04 PM
I think there were some nice youtube videos. You could also google "mamas &paps urbo review" and UK / European sites might come up.

nmstrong
01-11-2011, 01:51 AM
The one I have right now isn't really working right but I can still push it around and have a few things to say about it in comparison to the bee plus-
The bee plus has a much taller and more upright seat
The metal frame while it looks amazing easily scratches ( the bees does not it is more of a matte while the urbo is a shiny)
The urbo flips front to back easier
The basket on the urbo is chinzy- so tiny it barely holds anything you can put a ton of stuff Into the bee's
I cant really comment on the push since the Frame is having issues staying open. I did notice that it does not have suspension like the bee though.

The seat on the urbo feels more cushy and comfortable for a smaller child.
Ok just throwing out random thoughts for anyone who has not seen one....

WerstKnits
01-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Yes, the seat is quite a lot higher... less exhaust fumes for baby and not as much back strain for tall parents to give toys/snacks to a rear-facing LO!

I've been very curious about these strollers as well....

Are you able to fold it up with the canopy attached?

How usable do you find the basket underneath?

Thanks for your expertise!

poohbear
01-12-2011, 10:55 PM
Ok you guys are making me want to run out and grab it tonight! I lost out on the bee I was stalking last week, so if you say it is comparable to a bee that is so promising (esp if it's better--seems like the seat is higher which may add to ease of use).

I found it at my local BRU in the clearance section...I can't tell if it was an internet return or what, but there it was! they don't have any demos, so I think maybe it was an internet return. I hope it's still there tomorrow morning!

BRU has an extra 20% off their clearance merchandise now - I was there today.
You have a cool BRU - I'd love to find something like that or a Bee at my BRU! ;) (probably an online return - they tend to clearance those at 50% off since they don't carry them in store) GL - let us know!

twotimesblue
01-13-2011, 12:34 AM
The basket underneath isn't tiny but it is quite shallow, I would love it to be bigger but it's fine to stash a few essentials. It can fold with the seat on (forward-facing only) and the canopy doesn't need to come off. The fold is pretty compact and easy to figure out. HTH!

dobler88
01-13-2011, 03:45 PM
just an update--I DID get the stroller! Went back the next day and there it was....It was marked $270 and I got another 20% off (because it was on clearance), so total was around $230 with tax. I'm very excited to get a good deal--even if I don't LOVE LOVE it, I will feel justified getting another one at some point and selling this one!

Haven't taken it out of the box yet but will give my thoughts as soon as I do. I have 3.5 yr old twins and I think I have been through every double stroller there was 3 yrs ago (BoB, Jane Powertwin, Peg Perego Aria Twin, Mac Twin Techno, Combi Twin Savvy, MBUD) so I am so excited to experience singe strollers with my singleton (due next week)...

(BTW, in my mind, the winner in the double stroller race is the BOB--even though it is HUGE and tough to fold-- and for tandem it is the Jane, though it wouldn't work for kids at different ages b/c it is so compact--we could only use it until they were 2 or so). Worst sbs to me is the aria twin. MBUD was not bad but BOB was wayyyy better.

Even in 3 years, the double stroller options have gotten SO much better, though!

roseyloxs
01-13-2011, 04:45 PM
good info. someone one here was just asking about what stroller to get for twins.

poohbear
01-13-2011, 09:41 PM
just an update--I DID get the stroller! Went back the next day and there it was....It was marked $270 and I got another 20% off (because it was on clearance), so total was around $230 with tax. I'm very excited to get a good deal--even if I don't LOVE LOVE it, I will feel justified getting another one at some point and selling this one!

Haven't taken it out of the box yet but will give my thoughts as soon as I do. I have 3.5 yr old twins and I think I have been through every double stroller there was 3 yrs ago (BoB, Jane Powertwin, Peg Perego Aria Twin, Mac Twin Techno, Combi Twin Savvy, MBUD) so I am so excited to experience singe strollers with my singleton (due next week)...

(BTW, in my mind, the winner in the double stroller race is the BOB--even though it is HUGE and tough to fold-- and for tandem it is the Jane, though it wouldn't work for kids at different ages b/c it is so compact--we could only use it until they were 2 or so). Worst sbs to me is the aria twin. MBUD was not bad but BOB was wayyyy better.

Even in 3 years, the double stroller options have gotten SO much better, though!

Super deal, and good thing you waited because you got the extra 20% off! :) So now you can tell us - what state is your BRU in?:wink2:

npl
01-13-2011, 10:00 PM
Ya know, I've been stalking the BRU.ca site for ages, waiting to see when the M&P strollers would come in. A couple of days ago (maybe even yesterday) they listed the Luna Mix and Cruise as "backordered" and the others as "preorder" but with a later date than originally. They were supposed to all ship out on Jan 11th (and I was even in a store on that day, buying b-day presents, but there were no strollers on show). Now those strollers aren't even listed on the site. All I found were a couple of highchairs, a some stroller accessories and the Sola and Urbo strollers.
Anyone know what happened? Are they not going to be selling them any more? They are still listed on the US site. It's weird!

lorinick
01-14-2011, 08:17 PM
I've been very curious about these strollers as well....

Are you able to fold it up with the canopy attached?

How usable do you find the basket underneath?

Thanks for your expertise!

Yes it can be folded with seat and canopy attached.

lorinick
01-14-2011, 08:22 PM
BRU in Cherry Hill stocks the P&P's Sola and Urbo. I have to say I really love the Urbo and yes you can purchase a bassinet attachment for it as can you purchase car seat att. for the Maxi Cosi or the Graco car seats. The weight limit is only 33lb.:(

dobler88
01-15-2011, 12:17 PM
it was the BRU in Union, NJ!

So I have taken the stroller out and set it up (super easy, of course). Couple of observations:
1) the frame is CERTAIN to scratch--but I'm ok with that. Probably would not be ok with that for $500.

2) the basket is not much to speak of. You could definitely put stuff down there because of the height of the seat, but the basket itself is really shallow and kind of flimsy.

3) the fold is EASY. Very easy. One handed open is no problem. However, with the seat facing you, you cannot fold it down. That said, the seat comes out so easily that I really don't think it is a big deal.

4) Compared to the bee, the seat (like others have said) is a bit more plush. Baby is also a bit higher and the shade/canopy is akin to the bee shades that are huge (which I like).

5) one note: the brochure says the seat is not for babies under 6 months--but it does lie completely flat. I think I would put an infant in it flat as opposed to using the car seat attachment--or definitely as opposed to using a carrycot/bassinet--I haven't had a lot of luck with bassinets with my kids. I think I'll see how it goes!

All in all, I think it is a great stroller. Would I pay $500? Probably not, because of the weight limit and the fact that it's not AT or even quasi AT (I don't think I'd take this to a gravelly park even though the wheels do lock), so it's not a do-everything stroller.

I put my 3.5 year old in it (he is 34 lbs) and I know the weight limit is 33 lbs, but he did fine and I could still push one handed (not perfectly, but still). My 3.5 year olds would never sit in a stroller these days, but it's nice to know that the handling isn't terrible with a heavy child.

I took pics with H's lousy blackberry but I will try to take better ones and post!