PDA

View Full Version : Post your random tips, PSAs and wisdom here

crl
01-10-2011, 09:06 PM
In honor of WatchingThem Grow's request, I thought I'd start a random thread. ;)

Bamboo skewers are way better than toothpicks to check baked goods doneness because I don't burn my hand on the roof of the oven.

I always paint barefoot so I can feel if I step in the paint and don't track it all over.

Baking soda and dish soap work wonders to clean a greasy stovetop or scrub a burnt on pan.

Skirts should always be longer than they are wide.

Catherine

LMPC
01-10-2011, 09:16 PM
wrapping a rubber band around the top of a jar is a good way to help open it if it's really stuck (the rubber band goes around the edge where your hand also goes)

My grandmother was a big believer in "this too shall pass!"

a nice pedicure will always make you feel better

put peaches in a brown paper bag to make them ripen faster

Nice thread BTW!!!

Meatball Mommie
01-10-2011, 09:29 PM
put peaches in a brown paper bag to make them ripen faster

If you put an apple in with the peaches, they will ripen even faster.

turtledove
01-10-2011, 09:31 PM
If your brown sugar has turned into a brick, put apple slices in the container to break it apart again.

crl
01-10-2011, 09:35 PM
wrapping a rubber band around the top of a jar is a good way to help open it if it's really stuck (the rubber band goes around the edge where your hand also goes)
!

Ooh, good to know!

If your brown sugar has turned into a brick, put apple slices in the container to break it apart again.

Also excellent!

Thanks everyone!

Catherine

hillview
01-10-2011, 09:48 PM
You should always have tissues and bandaids in the car and on hand
Always have spare clothes when traveling
Counting to 10 really works
Baking soda on pans takes stuck on stuff off

/hillary

Twoboos
01-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Got a zit? Take a vitamin C pill, crush it up, add water to make paste. Apply to zit. It will diminish significantly.

MichelleRC
01-10-2011, 09:59 PM
If you wore something the first time it was in style, you are too old to wear it when it comes back around again. (My exception to this rule has been the leggings trend. I love my black leggings.)

Dr. Pepper hides the taste of almost anything. And is good for morning sickness.

If you have your umbrella with you, it will not rain.

m448
01-10-2011, 10:18 PM
for a minor burn put on some yellow mustard. The turmeric will instantly put a stop to the pain. Seriously it's the only thing that works.

crl
01-10-2011, 10:49 PM
for a minor burn put on some yellow mustard. The turmeric will instantly put a stop to the pain. Seriously it's the only thing that works.

Never heard that one before!

Catherine

jse107
01-10-2011, 11:09 PM
If you have a canker sore, put some Alum on it. It's a pickling spice, but it will significantly reduce the pain after you rinse it off.

I apply it with a wet Q-tip, let it sit (trying hard not to taste it--it taste horrible) for about 30 seconds and rinse it off. Works like a charm!

WatchingThemGrow
01-10-2011, 11:13 PM
Great thread, Catherine! I could've used that rubberband/jar info a few days ago. Wish I had something to add. Thanks for keeping me entertained!

KrisM
01-10-2011, 11:17 PM
If you stand with your heels and butt against a wall, you can't bend over at the waist without starting to tip.

WatchingThemGrow
01-10-2011, 11:22 PM
I think this works for adults...If you stretch your arms out and measure fingertip to fingertip, it should be exactly the same height you are up and down.

DrSally
01-10-2011, 11:24 PM
Fun thread! I'm afraid all of my tips come from you guys! Sorry for not giving proper credit b/c there's no way I can remember where I got all these from.

If your todder is RF in the winter, put an old t-shirt over the back of the chair to protect the seat (except my DD likes to put her feet under the t-shirt).

Keep some wipes in a baggie in your purse so you don't have to buy the expensive travel packs or keep the whole big package in your purse (so many of you alread do this, it's hardly a "tip")

Keep a package of disposable bibsters in your car for restaurant trips. Easier than keeping them in your purse/dipe bag.

Jacksmommy2b
01-10-2011, 11:56 PM
One part vinegar, one part salt keeps drains from getting stinky.

I keep a spare outfit for each boy, diapers, wipes and a bar of soap in my trunk at all times. It has saved my butt more than once!

Oh, and a damp washcloth frozen is heaven for a teething baby.

lalasmama
01-11-2011, 12:01 AM
When pumping, do your best to avoid facing the door to the room. At our clinic, the guys seem to be oblivious to the HUGE, BRIGHT BLUE picture of a mom nursing a baby and the words "PLEASE KNOCK". I can't count the number of times some poor female coworker has given one of the guys an unexpected eyefull. The best line from one of the males docs to a female assistant, upon walking in on her: "What are you doing? What is that? Is it a pump? I didn't know you did *that*. So, there's a patient in room 5, when you are done that needs...."

AnnieW625
01-11-2011, 12:02 AM

My grandma also swears by keeping a heel of bread in the brown sugar. She lives at a higher elevation of 5500 feet.

Please please don't do your makeup, esp. mascara while driving in traffic!

For wipes for the diaper bag either put some in a baggie, or just start using one of the pop top packs when there are about 20 wipes left.

larig
01-11-2011, 12:02 AM
To get ketchup out of a glass bottle easily, hit it on the raised 57 on the lower 1/2 of the bottle.

I'm hooked on itunes university. You can "take" so many classes from all kinds of universities.

crl
01-11-2011, 12:10 AM
To get ketchup out of a glass bottle easily, hit it on the raised 57 on the lower 1/2 of the bottle.

I'm hooked on itunes university. You can "take" so many classes from all kinds of universities.

I cannot get the 57 trick to work for the life of me. DH does it and it ALWAYS works for him.

Catherine

ThreeofUs
01-11-2011, 12:34 AM
To keep salt from clumping in the salt shaker, put a few grains of white rice in there, too. They won't come out the top and will absorb the moisture.

When passing anything that might be of concern to your fellow sailors, keep it and yourself to leeward.

happymom
01-11-2011, 12:36 AM
Fun thread! Trying to think of what I can add....

When traveling with your spouse or kids, don't pack a separate suitcase for each person. Istead, put a little of each person's clothes into each suitcase. That way, if a piece of luggage gets lost, noone is tuck without clothes! Learned that the hard way, LOL.

Betterbidding.com is a great website for figuring out which hotel you are looking at on Hotwire.com.

WD-40 takes off sticky residue from price tags or stickers on dishes (just wash well afterwards!)

Freeze fruit slices (strawberries, oranges, lemons) into your ice cubes for a beautiful and delicious addition to your pitcher of water.

I keep a mesh bag by DD's laundry basket and throw all her dirty socks in there. I wash and dry them in the mesh bag. I find it so much easier to fold all the laundry when the socks are contained in one spot- no random socks stuck in the foot of her sleeper etc. Maybe I'm just weird!

Wow, those were totally random! I'm really drawing a blank here....

kijip
01-11-2011, 01:33 AM
Hands down the best way to raise money is to ask interested people to give to a cause that you have clearly laid out a simple, clear statement in support. Forget selling crap and ask people to give. They will thank you. You will raise more money. You will spend less money to raise that money. You and your committee will be thankful not to commit your lives to some low return FUNraising activity.

JoyNChrist
01-11-2011, 01:36 AM
I'm loving this thread! Trying to think of stuff to add...

kijip
01-11-2011, 02:07 AM
Lego manuals are easy to store in a binder with clear plastic page covers. Then you can remake any of the set you have, while letting the legos for that set circulate in your collection for free builds.

kijip
01-11-2011, 02:22 AM
People generally don't regret learning to cook, learning to type or learning another language.

melonpan
01-11-2011, 02:36 AM

didnt know about this!

thank you larig!

melonpan
01-11-2011, 02:38 AM
i cant believe ive never seen that little section! its on the main itunes page...

and wow, theyre free!

citymama
01-11-2011, 02:43 AM
Great thread! I'm wondering if you should change the title so this will be easy to search for on a future occasion. All the sugar and rice and ketchup tips will come in handy some day!

Let's start with okra, because who doesn't like okra? (OK, most people don't, but I love it!)

IMO, okra is absolutely delicious friend and absolutely yucky (to me) when slimy. Cook on high heat and never cover or simmer, and you too can love okra!

When growing okra, pick it when it is a fingers length long. Don't let it get much longer or it will get hard and fibrous.

I was once taught by a friend's veteran housekeeper a way to fold laundry so it looks almost pressed and ironed straight off the line or dryer. I'll try and explain: lay the shirt flat on the bed. Use your hands to flatten out any creases, basically, iron out the shirt with your hands. Then fold the shirt like they do at retail stores - with the front facing you, and flatten it out again. Basically, the shirt will stay that way. Really handy if you hate to iron but hate creases!

Make your bed every day. It's nice to have a small bit of order in your life.

My grandma lives by the rule "a place for everything and everything has its place." She can find anything she needs in her home with her eyes closed and lights out. I'm not even close to that neat or organized, but I have found this an excellent way to keep track of important things, especially as our physical space gets increasingly chaotic and disorganized.

salsah
01-11-2011, 03:53 AM
good thread. i think it deserves to be a "sticky".

salsah
01-11-2011, 03:55 AM

this works great for nail polish bottles.

LexyLou
01-11-2011, 04:00 AM
Loving this thread! Thanks for all the great tips!

citymama
01-11-2011, 04:29 AM
Some more:

-- toothpaste is a great way to clean tarnished silver jewelry

--to make a great cup of tea, always scald the teapot or tea cup with hot water first!

--to get oil stains out of clothing, use liquid dish soap.

mjs64
01-11-2011, 04:53 AM
1. Treat bad burns like cuts: wash them in soap and water, then cover them with a bandaid (no ointment or neosporin). Don't leave them, as I used to, under running water. It will hurt for a minute, then heal much faster and better. The pain will ultimately go away faster. I learned this from the burn center nurses after getting 2nd degree burns on the bottom of my foot from stepping on a hair iron. Long story.

2. When fighting with your partner, leave the room, then come back naked.

citymama
01-11-2011, 05:42 AM

Come back to us on this one after 2-6-2011! :ROTFLMAO:

Just kidding. No, actually, not kidding. ;)

VClute
01-11-2011, 06:48 AM

Ha! Love it!

My tip is to apply a light concealer to the inside corner of your eyes to make them seem more open. It really "wakes up" your face!

Another (I learned here): Reserve books from the library online. And sign up for the service to remind you when they're due.

Dawn dishwashing liquid is GREAT for greasy stains and "water spots". Scrub in with hot water, then wash as usual.

I'm a nurse, and I always advise my patients to a) have a living will and b) make a written list of their questions and concerns so that, when the doctor arrives, they're prepared to get all their needs taken care of. If it's not written down, they'll forget to ask.

When dining out, have the waiter or waitress "surprise you." I tell them to pretend I'm a guest in their home, so bring me what's good. (This only works if you have no food allergies and aren't on a restricted diet.) The wait staff often eats the food, and know what's best and may have "off the menu" favorites. Surprisingly, this usually does not result in the most expensive item being brought out. And the waitstaff is usually psyched to have their opinion valued.

MMEand1
01-11-2011, 08:01 AM
When you have little ones, put a waterproof mattress pad on DC's bed; put sheet over waterproof pad; put ANOTHER waterproof pad on top of sheet and then cover with ANOTHER sheet. When baby/potty training child has an explosion/accident at 2am, all you have to do is pull soiled sheet/waterproof pad off of bed and you instantly have a bed that is already made - no having to make a bed in the middle of the night!!

momm
01-11-2011, 09:31 AM
What a great thread!! great tips!

Most of my tips I've got from the BBB moms :) so nothing to add for now...

DietCokeLover
01-11-2011, 09:46 AM
When you have little ones, put a waterproof mattress pad on DC's bed; put sheet over waterproof pad; put ANOTHER waterproof pad on top of sheet and then cover with ANOTHER sheet. When baby/potty training child has an explosion/accident at 2am, all you have to do is pull soiled sheet/waterproof pad off of bed and you instantly have a bed that is already made - no having to make a bed in the middle of the night!!

This is what I lived by for 2+ years! I tell this to everyone who will listen.

* Put a little salt on your drink napkin and it will not stick to the bottom of your glass when it sweats

wendibird22
01-11-2011, 10:18 AM
If you want a taste of dessert but don't want to end up eating the entire dessert (you are full or counting calories) sprinkle salt or pepper on the remaining portion and it'll keep you from taking "just one more bite." This works especially well on business travel, conferences, banquets, etc where the dessert is already on the table or included with the meal.

turtledove
01-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Boiling water will get out most berry stains. Hold fabric over sink and carefully pour boiling water over stain. You usually have to repeat 2-3 times.

Oh, and it is impossible to eat 7 Saltine crackers in under a minute without having anything to drink ;)

larig
01-11-2011, 11:30 AM
i cant believe ive never seen that little section! its on the main itunes page...

and wow, theyre free!

Yeah, I'm learning java programming! It's so fun!! DH is taking forestry classes. It's pretty amazing what's available. I'd think it would be a great resource for homeschoolers too (but they probably already know about itunes u).

Glad you liked the suggestion.

babyonway
01-11-2011, 11:48 AM
When slicing an onion, hold a whole saltine cracker in your mouth and you will get hardly any tears.

Put white vinegar with your detergennt in a load of laundry to get ride of odors (your clothes won't smell like vinegar I promise :) ) it really works.

To get odors out of tupperware, say you stored a salsa in it and can't get the smell out, take newspaper and lightly damp it (not soaking) and fill the container to the top with the dampened newspaper, put on lid and place in the freezer for a couple of days and the smell with be gone.

larig
01-11-2011, 11:50 AM
When slicing an onion, hold a whole saltine cracker in your mouth and you will get hardly any tears.

Put white vinegar with your detergennt in a load of laundry to get ride of odors (your clothes won't smell like vinegar I promise :) ) it really works.

To get odors out of tupperware, say you stored a salsa in it and can't get the smell out, take newspaper and lightly damp it (not soaking) and fill the container to the top with the dampened newspaper, put on lid and place in the freezer for a couple of days and the smell with be gone.

never have heard the saltine or newspaper tricks! thanks!

twowhat?
01-11-2011, 11:53 AM
When measuring honey, coat the measuring spoon or cup in a thin layer of oil first and the honey will just slide out.

crl
01-11-2011, 12:08 PM
When measuring honey, coat the measuring spoon or cup in a thin layer of oil first and the honey will just slide out.

This works great!

Catherine

momm
01-11-2011, 12:13 PM
PP, your onion trick reminded me of my own trick:

Keep onions in the fridge after you buy them.. when you need to slice them, cut them in half and run under cold water.
THEN slice them. No tears!!!

Meatball Mommie
01-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Baking soda on pans takes stuck on stuff off
If the pan is a roasting pan, or another that is oven safe, put the pan back in the warm (turned off) oven while you eat your dinner. Then when you go to clean it after dinner, it will be much easier. I add a little dish soap to the baking soda and water.

Got a zit? Take a vitamin C pill, crush it up, add water to make paste. Apply to zit. It will diminish significantly.
Toothpaste (not a gel) works too.

I think this works for adults...If you stretch your arms out and measure fingertip to fingertip, it should be exactly the same height you are up and down.
Also, the length of your forearm, from your elbow to your wrist, is the same length as your foot.

--to get oil stains out of clothing, use liquid dish soap.
Works for grease too – I had a grease spot on my clogs and our mechanic told me to try Dawn or Palmolive – worked like a charm!

LOVE THIS IDEA! Wouldn’t work so well when the kids are around/awake though ;)

jerigirl
01-11-2011, 12:23 PM
When washing clothes in preparation for DS2, I figured out that washing and drying them in the sun takes out those mysterious yellow stains that seem to appear in baby clothes. I had tried oxyclean soaks and several other treatments but the sun seemed to work the best.

lizzywednesday
01-11-2011, 12:30 PM

I keep a mesh bag by DD's laundry basket and throw all her dirty socks in there. I wash and dry them in the mesh bag. I find it so much easier to fold all the laundry when the socks are contained in one spot- no random socks stuck in the foot of her sleeper etc. Maybe I'm just weird!....

If you are weird, then I must also be weird, because I wash my DD's socks in a mesh bag, too.

I will also wash/dry her hats in the mesh bag.

This way, I always know where the socks' mates are and if the hats need to be hung up, I can grab them out more quickly.

Meatball Mommie
01-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Thought of another trick...

A mom of 6 told me this one. She (at one point) had to do laundry for her 6 kids and often had a tough time remembering whose clothes were whose - esp. when things were handed down from one kid to the next. So she marked the eldest's clothes with a single dot, the next eldest with 2 dots, the next with 3, etc. That way, when the older sibling outgrew something, she'd just add a dot to the tag and immediately be able to know whose it was the next time she did laundry. I think she did this with boots, jackets, etc. I thought it was a great system and you didn't have to cross off names or anything.

She also labelled gloves, hats and anything else that went to school/daycare with their last name only. Again, no name changing when different kids took different gear.

twowhat?
01-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Thought of another trick...

A mom of 6 told me this one. She (at one point) had to do laundry for her 6 kids and often had a tough time remembering whose clothes were whose - esp. when things were handed down from one kid to the next. So she marked the eldest's clothes with a single dot, the next eldest with 2 dots, the next with 3, etc. That way, when the older sibling outgrew something, she'd just add a dot to the tag and immediately be able to know whose it was the next time she did laundry. I think she did this with boots, jackets, etc. I thought it was a great system and you didn't have to cross off names or anything.

She also labelled gloves, hats and anything else that went to school/daycare with their last name only. Again, no name changing when different kids took different gear.

Holy crap, that's genius!!!

happymom
01-11-2011, 12:38 PM
I forgot one of my favorites...to fill muffin tins with batter, use an ice cream scoop (the kind with a handle that releases). It works really well- much better than you'd expect! I used to use a measuring cup, but this is really much neater and easier. Try it!

Loving this thread btw! Thanks OP!

ThreeofUs
01-11-2011, 12:40 PM
ITA, Meatball Mommie. That's pure genius. I'm in - just need some laundry-safe pens.

indigo99
01-11-2011, 12:42 PM
As soon as possible after shopping, wash your lettuce, shake off water, and store it in a covered bowl in the fridge. The water will soak in and make it more crisp. If it's really starting to wilt then soak it in cold water (not too long or it will be gross). Every couple days, run some water on it and pour the excess out so that it doesn't dry out.

urquie
01-11-2011, 01:38 PM
if your sliding door is hard to open/close rub a bar of soap on the bottom tracks, the more the better.

before opening a new jar, tap it with the dull side of a table knife, hard enough to dent it. i do it four times, spaced around the lid and it opens much easier.

bandgsmama
01-11-2011, 01:54 PM
If you wore something the first time it was in style, you are too old to wear it when it comes back around again. (My exception to this rule has been the leggings trend. I love my black leggings.)

Dr. Pepper hides the taste of almost anything. And is good for morning sickness.

If you have your umbrella with you, it will not rain.

ohh, i looove me some dr. pepper! if we ever have another child, what a great excuse for me!! (honestly, i try to avoid the caffeine, but a tad wouldn't hurt..)

MaiseyDog
01-11-2011, 02:05 PM
wd-40 gets nonwashable crayon off walls. Just spray, wipe and then wipe down wall with dish detergent and water to remove any greasiness.

before you throw away a postit note, run the sticky end between the keys on your computer keyboard to get the dust and particles.

clc053103
01-11-2011, 02:17 PM

This is also good for measuring peanut butter.

Just about anything can be washed in the dishwasher: flip flops, hats, crocs, dirty light bulbs (or recessed if they get paint on them when you do the ceiling), heater vents, electric toothbrush...you name it, I've washed it in the dishwasher.

Parsley bunches will stay fresher far longer if you take it out of the bag and stand it up in a glass with water at the bottom and put it in your fridge.

For morning sickness, try Edy's Frozen fruit bars- lime flavor.

Twoboos
01-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Thought of another, learned here.

If you're traveling (specifically flying) with a child in diapers, take 3x as many diapers as you would normally need for that time period. So, if you're traveling for 6 hrs and usually need 3 diapers, take 9 in your carryon. This totally saved me when we were trapped in an airport for 12hrs until the wee hours. I was also able to share a couple of dipes w/others.

Oh, and... If you're out of WD-40, you can use spray olive oil instead to quiet a squeaky door hinge.

LMPC
01-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Great tip..but then there's nothing left to lick ;)

calv
01-11-2011, 02:51 PM

slowly reading all of these great tips. when I was younger my mom put a dab of toothpaste on it. also very helpful in cooling minor burns

SkyrMommy
01-11-2011, 02:57 PM
IF cookies get too crunchy put a slice of bread in the cookie jar for a bit & they'll soften up.

Duct tape is necessary in life... it fixes many, many things!

BabbyO
01-11-2011, 03:21 PM
I keep a mesh bag by DD's laundry basket and throw all her dirty socks in there. I wash and dry them in the mesh bag. I find it so much easier to fold all the laundry when the socks are contained in one spot- no random socks stuck in the foot of her sleeper etc. Maybe I'm just weird!

You're not weird. A friend shared this with me when I got pg and no one purchased the lingerie bags I put on my baby shower gift registry. But I got 2 mesh bags and use them faithfully. I've never lost a sock in the wash! One of the best tips I've ever received!

Hmm...put a mini marshmallow in the bottom of a sugar cone before adding ice cream to prevent leaks.

Always keep a blanket in your trunk. It can be used if your stuck in a snowstorm, get a flat tire, impromptu picnic. I've used mine for all three!

Get an over the door hanger with 5 or 7 pockets. We like this one http://www.lillianvernon.com/catalog/product_display.jsp?pdId=13530&name=Days-of-the-week+Hanging+Organizer&parentCatId=2&catId=890&subCatId=891. Put 1 day's clothes in each pocket at the beginning of the week...saves lots of time in the AM getting kids ready. Once kids are older, let them pick the clothes. The rule is once they pick the clothes they can't change their mind. Saves on lots of arguing and gives kids a say in what they wear!

Get stackable/reusable lunch containers such as Ziploc divided rectangle http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/ContainersSmartSnapSeal.aspx?SizeName=Divided%20Re ctangle. Make your lunch for the entire week on Sunday. You save a lot of time, manage your portions, save money by not eating lunch out.

lizzywednesday
01-11-2011, 04:01 PM

Duct tape is necessary in life... it fixes many, many things!

One of my favorite quotes in college was "duct tape is like The Force: it has a Light and a Dark Side and holds the Universe together."

ABO Mama
01-11-2011, 04:24 PM

I do this and it's wonderful!

Plant a garden, even if you only have space for a few pots of herbs, you will love the fresh flavor it adds to your meals.

brittone2
01-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Flash freeze things that you don't want to end up all clumped up and frozen into one solid hunk. Cookie dough balls are great like this. Freeze for an hour on a cookie sheet (not touching) and then put into a freezer container once firm. Meatballs, fresh picked berries, etc. all work well using this method.

crl
01-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Flash freeze things that you don't want to end up all clumped up and frozen into one solid hunk. Cookie dough balls are great like this. Freeze for an hour on a cookie sheet (not touching) and then put into a freezer container once firm. Meatballs, fresh picked berries, etc. all work well using this method.

I'll have to do our berries this way next summer!
Catherine

mezzona
01-11-2011, 05:21 PM
When making a cream sauce that starts with butter, put a little water with the butter in the pan while melting. It will keep the butter from "breaking" and will keep the consistency creamy.

Reyadawnbringer
01-11-2011, 07:34 PM
Take clear nail polish and paint the bottom of shaving cream cans to prevent it from leaving a rust ring.

Use an empty kleenex box as a plastic grocery bag dispenser (we only have a handful of plastic bags to clean up after the dog).

Those were ones I picked up from the Real Simple magazine. I can't think of anymore right now.

mjs64
01-11-2011, 09:38 PM

True, true. I thought about that as I was typing (and hey, being 36 weeks right now, I'm not all that happy with my naked body as is). But I like to imagine that one day the technique will work again...one day? I'm thinking at least my boobs will be much bigger soon, after a lifetime of barely filling out at 34-A bra. Trying to look on the bright side.

salsah
01-12-2011, 12:57 AM
none of the onion tricks work for me. my eyes seem to be extremely sensitive to onions. after trying them all, i discovered that if i just put my cutting board on the stove, under the hood, and cut the onion with the vent/fan on, i don't cry at all. so simple and no more burning, watery eyes.

salsah
01-12-2011, 12:59 AM
Take clear nail polish and paint the bottom of shaving cream cans to prevent it from leaving a rust ring.

that always baffles me. don't these companies know that shaving creme cans are kept near water. you would think that they would make a can that doesn't rust (it wouldn't be that hard for them to add a plastic or rubber ring around the bottom). we just store it upside down (stand it on the cap).

happymom
01-12-2011, 01:00 AM
none of the onion tricks work for me. my eyes seem to be extremely sensitive to onions. after trying them all, i discovered that if i just put my cutting board on the stove, under the hood, and cut the onion with the vent/fan on, i don't cry at all. so simple and no more burning, watery eyes.

Or wear contact lenses! LOL. Helpful tip, huh?

salsah
01-12-2011, 01:02 AM
before opening a new jar, tap it with the dull side of a table knife, hard enough to dent it. i do it four times, spaced around the lid and it opens much easier.

i put a spoon under the edge of the lid and pull up a just enough for it to "pop".

salsah
01-12-2011, 01:03 AM
Or wear contact lenses! LOL. Helpful tip, huh?

really?! if you wear contacts, onions don't bother your eyes? not that it would help me to know this, but it is interesting.

salsah
01-12-2011, 01:04 AM
When making a cream sauce that starts with butter, put a little water with the butter in the pan while melting. It will keep the butter from "breaking" and will keep the consistency creamy.

i'll have to try this next time.

happymom
01-12-2011, 01:07 AM
really?! if you wear contacts, onions don't bother your eyes? not that it would help me to know this, but it is interesting.

Completely and totally do not feel a thing! For years, I wore only lenses, all the time. When I finally got glasses, I was totally taken aback the first time I cut an onion and my eyes starting to tear! It sounds weird, but it had been so many years since it had happened, that i totally forgot about the whole phenomenon!

salsah
01-12-2011, 01:08 AM

will this work on dd's lunch bag? she left something in it over the chirstmas break and when i found it two weeks later, the smell was bad! :barf:

amm40
01-12-2011, 01:11 AM

Or use hair conditioner to shave with instead. Cheap suave conditioner works great, choose your scent... did I mention it's cheap?

malphy
01-12-2011, 01:34 AM
toothpaste (not the gel kind) takes the itch out of mosquitoe bites.

Meshfeeders are awesome teethers. fill with ice and you have 1 happy baby.

keep a picnic blanket in car at all times, along with misc. toys-you never have an excuse not to stop and enjoy a nice day with the kiddos.

BabyMine
01-12-2011, 01:37 AM
Stop a run in pantyhose by applying clear nail polish.
To get rid of a cat urine smell spray a mixture of vinegar and water on the spot after you clean it.
To get the onion smell out of your hands rub them on your stainless steel sink or an ss bar.
If your furniture legs dent your carpet put an ice cube in the spot and the carpet will perk right up.
If your dog gets sprayed by a skunk bathe him in tomato juice.
Preparation H can be used for bags under your eyes.
If you start getting a headache drink some ice water and hold it in your mouth for awhile.
Baby oil will take makeup off.
Use regular mascara first then waterproof and it will stay on longer but will wash off easier.

Edensmum
01-12-2011, 01:41 AM
These are mostly to do with travel as I've done a good bit of it lately.

Travel with small children

Buy The Next Exit(boo) It tells you what it at every interstate exit in the country. This way you can plan lunch and other stops on the go. So you don't wind up eating McDs only to find Panera at the next stop for example with my preferences inserted.

Duck tape- you can tape drawers and closet doors, wires Etc up to baby proof a hotel room. Those dresser drawers are a constant hazard otherwise and you can't even sit down with a busy baby.

Light up toys for night travel- glow sticks or bracelets from the dollar bin at target, firefly tooth brushes that flash, any dollar store light up toy, these are a huge help after dark, when they can't see to play but you aren't ready to call it a night. Especially in the winter when it's dark by 5pm.

Pack a small bag of little new toys they haven't seen before for board moments. Sticker books are great.

When traveling with little ones long distance, stop at places where they can actually play if possible. Barnes and Nobles and Pet Smart are big helps. Seeing the animals is fun and the kids section of the big book stores often has play areas. Even crawlers can get down there.

Pack a bag for each night for all of you if you have multiple stops. No use emptying the whole car just to get off the road.

Hampton and Holiday Inn and several others have wi-fi, and breakfast. Getting on the road with everyone fed and ready to make some progress is great.

Ask the desk for bottled water, they will often give it to you, same goes for toiletries.

crl
01-12-2011, 01:46 AM
These are mostly to do with travel as I've done a good bit of it lately.

Travel with small children

Buy The Next Exit(boo) It tells you what it at every interstate exit in the country. This way you can plan lunch and other stops on the go. So you don't wind up eating McDs only to find Panera at the next stop for example with my preferences inserted.

toiletries.

Wait, what? Is this a book? Or an app? Sounds very useful!

Catherine

BabyMine
01-12-2011, 01:52 AM

Catherine

This might be the book.

http://www.amazon.com/Next-Exit-2011-Interstate-Directory/dp/0971407398/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1294811510&sr=8-2

Here are the apps.

http://www.thenextexit.com/

stillplayswithbarbies
01-12-2011, 04:15 AM
I read this tip on the BBB.

When you go to swimming lessons with a baby, dress the baby at home in a swim diaper and bathing suit, then put a regular diaper over it. When you get to the pool, you just have to strip off clothes and diaper and baby is ready to go in the pool. If baby peed on the way there, it will soak through the swim diaper (and bathing suit) and into the regular diaper. This has saved me so much time on Saturday mornings when we are running in to the Y just a few minutes before class starts!

(if you put baby in the carseat in just a swim diaper and baby pees, it soaks through to the carseat)

brgnmom
01-12-2011, 04:27 AM
what a great thread! I haven't read through all the posts, but thought I'd share two random tips:

* you can stop a run in your nylon by dabbing some clear nail polish at the bottom of the run, or you can apply the clear nail polish around the edges of the hole (if one exists).

* I keep a package of kirkland baby wipes in the car, just in case I run out of baby wipes in my diaper bag. the baby wipes have also been useful for cleaning up messes in the car, or even wiping my son's hands when I pick him up from preschool.

Sweetum
01-12-2011, 04:55 AM
While some of these are common sense, I decided to put them in - PSA!

- don't throw away cooking oil/grease (oil you used to cook or deep fry and can no longer eat). Use it to grease door hinges and other things at home that need greasing
- don't throw away empty jars of peanut butter or any thing - use them to dispose off oil
- don't throw squeezed out lemon wedges - put them into your garbage disposal for a fresh smelling scent
- when your toilet is clogged, pour dish liquid into it and let it sit for 10 minutes. You should be able to flush now.
- if you have assembled your furniture, please recheck all screws in about 2 months
- if you think your food has excess salt, drop in a piece (about half of a medium sized potato) into it - it absorbs the excess
- you can re-use kitchen towels more than once - wipe, wash, wring, and dry, repeat.

liz
01-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Sticky zippers- rub a candle up and down both sides of the zipper. It should slide up and down like a breeze afterwards.

crl
01-12-2011, 10:43 AM
This might be the book.

http://www.amazon.com/Next-Exit-2011-Interstate-Directory/dp/0971407398/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1294811510&sr=8-2

Here are the apps.

http://www.thenextexit.com/

Excellent!

Catherine

Indianamom2
01-12-2011, 11:22 AM
I read this tip on the BBB.

When you go to swimming lessons with a baby, dress the baby at home in a swim diaper and bathing suit, then put a regular diaper over it. When you get to the pool, you just have to strip off clothes and diaper and baby is ready to go in the pool. If baby peed on the way there, it will soak through the swim diaper (and bathing suit) and into the regular diaper. This has saved me so much time on Saturday mornings when we are running in to the Y just a few minutes before class starts!

(if you put baby in the carseat in just a swim diaper and baby pees, it soaks through to the carseat)

Ok, now hold on....if the pee soaks through the swim diaper into the carseat...isn't it soaking through the diaper into the swimming pool as well? ewww...

m448
01-12-2011, 11:26 AM
Sticky zippers- rub a candle up and down both sides of the zipper. It should slide up and down like a breeze afterwards.

This trick works for closet rods too (we used them at a dry cleaner I used to work at during high school). Rub the top of the rod liberally with bees wax and the hangers slide like a dream.

twowhat?
01-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Ok, now hold on....if the pee soaks through the swim diaper into the carseat...isn't it soaking through the diaper into the swimming pool as well? ewww...

That's what swim diapers do. They hold in poop (the real health hazard) and let pee out...the chlorine in public pools takes care of that.

So YES when you go to a public pool frequented by lots of little kids, you're essentially swimming in water, chlorine, salt (from everyone sweating), and diluted pee. Woooo!!!!

liz
01-12-2011, 11:28 AM

Yes, swim diapers are really just to hold the poop in. Gross, huh?

stillplayswithbarbies
01-12-2011, 11:44 AM

Yes. That's how a swim diaper works. If it was absorbant, it would absorb pool water and swell up. A swim diaper is only meant to hold in poop solids.

That's what the chemicals in pool water are for; to keep it healthy even though people pee in it and snot it in it and sweat in it. But it can't counteract poop.

The pool we go to at the Y requires "plastic pants" over a swim diaper just as double safety against floating poop solids.

SummerBaby
01-12-2011, 11:44 AM
-Nature's Miracle will remove even the stongest, most disgusting vomit smell.

-If you have lingering cooking odor in the kitchen, set out a small bowl of Pine-sol and the odor will dissipate.

-Soak a baking pan with a fabric softener sheet and it will loosen any baked on crud- you'll be able to just wipe it off with the softener sheet.

carolinamama
01-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Hands down the best way to raise money is to ask interested people to give to a cause that you have clearly laid out a simple, clear statement in support. Forget selling crap and ask people to give. They will thank you. You will raise more money. You will spend less money to raise that money. You and your committee will be thankful not to commit your lives to some low return FUNraising activity.

I SO completely agree with you on this one.

Anyway, I am loving this thread and wish I had something to add.

Edensmum
01-12-2011, 12:18 PM

Catherine book

http://www.amazon.com/Next-EXIT-2010-Exit-Interstate/dp/097140738X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294849100&sr=8-1

Edensmum
01-12-2011, 12:23 PM

Um yeah, pee is not contained in swim diapers, that's what chlorine is for. They are only to collect poo.

anamika
01-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Great tips.
Here's mine - sprouted red kidney beans are highly toxic. Cooking kills the toxins but I was really sick after eating cooked beans which had sprouted just a teeny bit!
I often soak and sprout my own beans so this was a valuable lesson!
Of course, I could have just listened all the times my mom told me but no - had to find out for myself.

jse107
01-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Lego manuals are easy to store in a binder with clear plastic page covers. Then you can remake any of the set you have, while letting the legos for that set circulate in your collection for free builds.

I'm doing this when I get home! A great idea!

vludmilla
01-12-2011, 01:20 PM

I thought the same thing but the swim diapers let the pee through in the pool too.

Carrots
01-12-2011, 03:00 PM
If you get deoderant on your shirt/top, rub the area with pantyhose and the deoderant disappears!

Powdered OxyClean is an amazing shower/tub cleaner.

When painting a room with a roller or brush and you need to take a break, place roller or brush inside a plastic bag and keep it as airtight as possible. The roller will be read to use when you are ready to come back. (I have held a roller in a bag for 2 days and it was still good to use)

indigo99
01-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Before putting a bouquet into a vase, pull off all of the leaves that will be below the water line. Rotting leaves will make the water stink and will make the flowers wilt sooner.

Put your flowers into water as soon as you cut the stems. In the open air, they will form a cuticle on the cut edge (to seal in water) within just a few seconds of being cut. That will also keep them from sucking up new water and make them wilt wooner.

If you have fresh roses and want them to open up then use warm water in the vase (alternatively, they will last longer if you use cold water and don't place them near any heat sources).

indigo99
01-12-2011, 03:31 PM
I keep a bib and TWO spoons in the diaper bag for eating out. Inevitably, one of the spoons ends up on the floor or I'll forget to exchange the used one for a clean one and will need the second spoon.

Meatball Mommie
01-14-2011, 04:37 PM
If you get deoderant on your shirt/top, rub the area with pantyhose and the deoderant disappears!

Powdered OxyClean is an amazing shower/tub cleaner.

When painting a room with a roller or brush and you need to take a break, place roller or brush inside a plastic bag and keep it as airtight as possible. The roller will be read to use when you are ready to come back. (I have held a roller in a bag for 2 days and it was still good to use)

For the deoderant - you can just rub the shirt with another part of the shirt and it will come off - no need to run and find pantyhose.

I've used the roller/brush in a plastic bag trick and it totally works - I put it in the fridge if I'm going to paint the next day (although I'm not sure if that's necessary).

indigo99
01-14-2011, 04:56 PM
Add extra thyme to your cooking whenever possible. It is a good source of fiber, calcium, & manganese. It's a very good source of iron and an excellent source of vitamin K. It also has antioxidant and antimicrobial properties.

karstmama
01-14-2011, 05:42 PM
keep a freezer bag of 'not a big enough bit of vegetables for another serving' going. then use it when you make vegetable soup.

always get 5 library books (or 3, or 6, whatever). then you'll know when you've found them all to take back.

you guys may know this, but it was a pleasant find for me - audible dot com has inexpensive 'books on tape' that can download to your ipod or kindle.

Glizmo
01-14-2011, 08:25 PM
When you change your sheets to wash them, use the pillowcase to dust your ceiling fan blades. The dust will be caught inside the pillowcase, not all over your bedroom.

When you fold sheet sets, put the folded clean sheets inside the pillowcase. The set will stay together and is easier to keep in a linen closet.

c&j04
01-14-2011, 11:12 PM
I've used the roller/brush in a plastic bag trick and it totally works - I put it in the fridge if I'm going to paint the next day (although I'm not sure if that's necessary).
We put ours in the freezer:) It lasts weeks if you need it to!

lizzywednesday
01-14-2011, 11:18 PM

When you fold sheet sets, put the folded clean sheets inside the pillowcase. The set will stay together and is easier to keep in a linen closet.

I just used this one because our master BR's linen closet was driving me crazy; I think I read it in a Martha Stewart magazine. It's a great tip!!!

salsah
01-15-2011, 01:25 AM

thank you, i burned my hand yesterday and remembered your suggestions. it worked. turned my nails yellow, but it worked.

sandwish
01-15-2011, 11:15 AM
Keep a pair of school scissors with your bibs and spoons for restaurants. Makes it much easier to cut up food for kids quickly. Especially things like pizza or meat. We also have a pair just for home.

kochh2
01-15-2011, 03:53 PM
*Trust your instinct. Listen to your body. You know it best.
*mute commercials to curb the "gimmes"
*use a pizza cutter to cut pancakes and other not so easy to cut foods in a jiffy.
*keep a list of things you think " oh, i wish i had..." on the fridge, and it comes in handy as you head off to yard sales, at birthdays, and on holidays, as well as when sales come along!!
* on my calendar, each person has a different highlighter color. that way you can look and see quickly if it's your thing or not!!
*take a pic of important info on your cell phone to save the time of writing it down!!
*photocopy wallet contents front and back to safeguard if you lose it!! no more searching folders for acct numbers and phone numbers to cancel!
* make new friends, buy keep the old. one is silver and the other... Gold (cheesy, but oh so true!!)

happymom
01-15-2011, 09:25 PM
When you change your sheets to wash them, use the pillowcase to dust your ceiling fan blades. The dust will be caught inside the pillowcase, not all over your bedroom.

Feeling dumb here, but how do you dust with the pillowcase so the dust is inside?

I love the tip about putting folded linen into pillowcase...totally going to try that!

ShanaMama
01-15-2011, 09:57 PM

Even easier- spray the spoon or cup with Pam. I hate oil drippies! I also spray my hands (gloves) with Pam when making cookies.

Keep disposable gloves in the kitchen for cleaning chicken, rolling meatballs & even making cookies. I hate getting my hands dirty + I am paranoid about cleaning up after handling raw poultry or meat.

When opening a new jug of oil, especially if you buy the large sizes, poke a fork into the foil instead of pulling it off.

Peroxide has a chemical reaction with blood & is an excellent way to get blood out of barely anything. Dab the peroxide straight onto the clothing & wipe off when it bubbles. Repeat. Water is unnecessary & actually makes it less effective. (A doctor I once worked for learned this from nurses during his residency. I can't tell you how many times I've used this trick.)

Loving this thread! My problem is I can never remember the appropriate tip when I need it. I need to print out all 12 pages, LOL.

m448
01-15-2011, 09:59 PM
thank you, i burned my hand yesterday and remembered your suggestions. it worked. turned my nails yellow, but it worked.

I'm glad to hear that helped. For a good cook I burn myself wayyy too often in the kitchen.

trales
01-15-2011, 10:29 PM
If your dog gets skunked forget tomato juice.

Wash the dog in dawn dish detergent, followed by Massigal Medicated Douche and Hydrogen Peroxide.

The dog will stop smelling, even a 140 lb Newfoundland who likes to get wet.

wellyes
01-15-2011, 11:10 PM
Dieting tip: don't 'try to' eat better. Just eat better. There are so many things you can't contol in life: the layout of your house, whether or not you get a better job, other people's behavior. But can do have complete power over what you eat, so make choices you are proud of.

iPad tip :) Make an upward stroke on button with the comma & exclamation point to add an apostrophe.

happymom
01-15-2011, 11:19 PM
Put a shiny penny on the bottom of your vase of tupils to make the tulips stand straight up. Works beautifully every time. :)

twowhat?
01-16-2011, 01:37 AM
If your dog gets skunked forget tomato juice.

Wash the dog in dawn dish detergent, followed by Massigal Medicated Douche and Hydrogen Peroxide.

The dog will stop smelling, even a 140 lb Newfoundland who likes to get wet.

I can also personally attest to this. Though the recipe we used was slightly different, and doesn't require the embarrassing purchase of large amounts of douche:):

For each medium/large dog (this was enough for our 60 pound mutt)
1 quart H2O2
1/4 cup baking SODA
2 tsp Dawn dishwashing liquid

Mix in PLASTIC container, UNCOVERED. Use immediately. Wearing long rubber gloves, use a sponge to work the solution into the coat, down to the skin, being careful around the eyes (or use an eye protectant like mineral oil). Wait 5 min. Rinse.

My only regret was not trying it on my OWN hair because I was afraid the H2O2 might bleach it somewhat. So, I smelled skunk in my own hair for a week (and whenever my hair got wet, I could smell skunk for a few weeks):)

Glizmo
01-16-2011, 10:27 AM
Feeling dumb here, but how do you dust with the pillowcase so the dust is inside?

Put the fan blade inside the pillowcase. Pull the case along the blade so that the top interior of the case dusts, while the bottom catches anything that falls.

HTH! :)

longtallsally05
01-16-2011, 09:01 PM
Carry post it notes in your diaper bag/purse to cover up the electric eye for automatic-flush toilets in public restrooms; it keeps the toilet from flushing while little kids are using the potty. I forgot my post its once when DD was toilet training, and she lept up off the toilet so fast (screaming of course), you'd have thought the Loch Ness Monster was trying to suck her down the toilet as it flushed. Funny, messy & terrifying all at the same time :hysterical:

SnuggleBuggles
01-16-2011, 09:16 PM
Meshfeeders are awesome teethers. fill with ice and you have 1 happy baby.

Even better- frozen peach slices. They get some nutrition and the fruit softens vs just melting and going away. We used a variety of frozen fruits and veggies for this purpose but peach slices were the best.

Need an older baby lunch idea? Strain a can of soup and serve the pieces. The veggies will be really soft and tender- perfect for finger foods.

Beth