PDA

View Full Version : help with stroller lineup

bd&lb mom
01-10-2011, 10:13 PM
Hello to all of you Stroller Savants!!! I've been lurking here for nearly a year (months before my baby was born), reading endless threads, soaking up a ton of stroller knowledge from you guys and figuring out what my individual needs are/will be. I've learned so much just "listening," but am now finally coming out of the shadows in hope of getting some much needed help. My baby is getting close to outgrowing his travel system (our current workhorse, albeit an imperfect one) and we need your experienced advice in getting our stroller lineup going forward Just. Right. :)

We're 'burbanites, so nearly all of our day-to-day outings & errands require loading/unloading of ourselves (& our stuff) in & out of our vehicles. We've tried out 4 strollers so far -- each of which we've really *liked*, but none of which we've LOVED as a "does it all" stroller for our lifestyle. And I know there isn't really one stroller that *truly* does it all which is why I'm looking for "lineup" help, but what I need most is guidance re: a stroller that Does It All (On Most Days).

We have/had:

Orbit G2 Travel System -- Has been great for its ease of use in/out of car with an infant, but with longer outings as DS is getting older, I don't want to keep him in the infant seat while strolling even though we still have a few lbs. to go until he maxes out of it. Can't really see buying the toddler seat for the Orbit b/c the stroller is good, but not good *enough* for some light terrain in our daily life. The stroller can handle it if it *must*, but not very well -- I'd like a better ride for DS, and better push for me, over light terrain. I'll keep it for use with a future baby (hopefully!) when I don't have current DS in tow.

BJCM 2010 -- Bought this a few months ago with 1 week T'giving & 3 week Xmas trips in mind. Traveling by plane and knowing DS would be spending lots of time in stroller, didn't want him in car seat that much but also wanted more stroller than a super-light umbrella (esp. for the 3 week trip). BJCM was very close to being a "Does It All..." for us and we were pleasantly surprised by it not being as cumbersome as we expected thru airports. But husband is 6'4" so handle height & kicking back of stroller were minor issues, and again, not great over light terrain (though significantly better than the Orbit). So, we left it behind with my expectant cousin abroad -- it will be 100% perfect for her, her husband & their lifestyle, and they can't get one where they are -- and we figured we'd look for a better Does It All... stroller for us, or get a 2011 BJCM (it's imperfect but livable) if we can't find a better alternative.

Maclaren Quest Sport 2010 -- Leaving the BJCM abroad for cousin, we picked this up the day before traveling 30 hours (& 2 layovers) back home to the USA. For no true good reason, I just wasn't that into Macs, nor umbrellas in general, but obvs, we couldn't make that hellacious(!) air-trek home stroller-less, and I have come to see their immeasurable value. BUT, it's still not a good every day, multi-purpose stroller for us. I'll keep it for <5-day trips via air unless you guys tell me there's a better umbrella/travel I should trade it in for. e.g. Is the Mac Quest better than the UPPA G-Luxe for any reason? On paper, the UPPA G-Luxe looks better for us -- taller handles, stands alone folded, but also reclines.

BJCE 2010 -- Just bought 2 days ago, haven't taken it out in the world yet, playing with it ONLY INSIDE my house b/c I think it will be returned. This is clearly a great stroller; I can tell it solves my light terrain issues & my husband's height issues with the BJCM, but it's a BEHEMOTH (for my car wants/needs). I've learned that I will give a little in the weight dept. for other features, but this is just a bit TOO heavy & unwieldy to fold/unfold & hoist in/out of the car more than once a day (for, like, ONE, ALL day outing) as far as I can see? Am I wrong? Will it get better? I keep "practicing" folding/unfolding, lifting/lowering it in my family room, but I think this thing will break me if I have to wrestle with it more than once a day? I searched & scoured this forum for nearly a week before I decided to purchase the BJCE instead of something else -- a BJCE-owner here posted that she's gotten used to dealing with its heft, even while PREGNANT!!! (just wanna say, whoever that poster is, I tip my hat to you! you're an amazing woman!) For me, I see the BJCE as more of a Straight Out The Frontdoor/Driveway Neighborhood Stroller, not in/out of the car a lot. We do a fair amount of strolling straight out of the house, but for that lone purpose, I'd rather have a bona fide jogger than the BJCE -- the BJCE isn't a true jogger so I can't see keeping it if it's not great in/out of car, too.

So...HELP! I'm thinking the MB Swift might be a better fit for us if it's truly lighter & smaller (for fold & lift) than the BJCE. Thing is, I can't get my hands on a live one, nobody around here (metro DC) has them In-Store, so I'd have to buy sight-unseen. And a feature I LOVE on the BJs that I'm slightly concerned about on the Swift is the BJs have the mesh back when reclined that the Swift doesn't. I can't be sure (b/c the LO can't yet verbally confirm), but I'm pretty sure that was a great feature on both holiday trips in hot, sunny climes. Do you Swift owners find that to be an issue in the heat? Besides the Swift, any other recommendations that might fit my wants/needs?

Oh boy...and I didn't even get to my 'Tweener (b/t Workhorse & Umbrella) questions. If I'm very lucky, you'll entertain all the questions & help required by this (too long) post. :) Then, I PROMISE my 'Tweener issues are far simpler! Thanks in advance for any & all responses to this post...the stroller forum here at BB is far & away my fave for knowledge & personality, and I'll be flattered to be answered by any of you.