PDA

View Full Version : s/o afterschool thread: K enrichment

maestramommy
01-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Around here it seems like a lot of kids go to K enrichment because the K day is only 2 hours 40 minutes long. I had not looked into that, and it looks like I may be too late even if I was interested. I was thinking of starting Dora on piano next fall, teaching her myself. But I thought maybe there are other things I could do with her. She is still asking for ballet, so I may sign her up for a weekly class. What else might be good? I'm looking for reinforcing, but also supplementing, not really going ahead of what she is learning. If she does ballet, I would need to use my sitter, so I'm more interested in what we can do at home.

At the moment she likes: jig saw puzzles, playing Memory, bingo, and today I just discovered she is easily addicted to computer games (Starfall.com, Bookawala.com). cough cough, will have to set limits on that. :p

Any other SAHMS with kids in half day K doing at-home enrichment?

egoldber
01-10-2011, 10:45 PM
When my older DD had half day K, we did lots of stuff, but it was mainly to keep us busy. She was also still very behind in gross and fine motor at that time, so we did OT, ballet and gymnastics. The other 2 days we did nothing.

I would not feel like you had to do anything though.

gordo
01-10-2011, 11:29 PM
My school district is 1/2 day Kdgt and then there is an option for extended day kdgt. It really is an option for working parents as it allows you to extend the school day until 6pm, but it appears they do quite a lot of academic things and related arts like music, gym, etc. Since I work, I need her to go there, but I am happy she is getting more than just the 2 and half hours she gets in regular K.

maestramommy
01-11-2011, 10:11 AM
bump for the morning crowd!

I just found out one K enrichment (where Dora went for preschool last year) still has spots. It's 2 afternoons a week for $195/month. Now this probably isn't that much considering it's 4 hours each afternoon. But it feels like a lot when we're already paying for a 3rd year of preschool for Dora, and next year we will be paying tuition for Arwyn and Laurel. Plus, Dora will already be in ballet or something, so things are starting to add up. I was hoping to do things at home, partly so we are shelling out more tuition money, and partly to not lock ourselves into a schedule where I have to pick her up during what is really naptime.