PDA

View Full Version : What do you do for a sinus infection?

Clarity
01-10-2011, 10:40 PM
My two year old seems more susceptible to sinus problems than the rest of us. She's had sinus drainage off and on for the last month. I was certain she had a sinus infection but then it seemed to clear up. There was a week that she was mostly fine but she's back to coughing frequently at nap/bedtime and her nose is running through the day. She's always asking for a tissue. She just hates a runny nose.

I'm tempted to take her into the pediatrician but he'd either put her on an antibiotic for a suspected sinus infection or he'd want me to put her on a daily dose of Claritin. I'm not doing Claritin for her. I JUST had her tested for environmental allergens last week and she came up negative to everything but cats (luckily we do not have a cat). She does have food allergies but we manage those well.

Do we have any other options for her? I'm running a humdifier in her room as we speak. What else can I do? Is there any way to help her avoid these regular sinus infections? She seems to ge one every time she gets a cold, mild or otherwise. Maybe I should be trying saline spray more regularly? I haven't used it at all lately. TIA

Tondi G
01-10-2011, 10:45 PM
I would run the humidifier in her room at night, I would use saline spray/drops. I might give her a dose of Benedryl at bedtime to try to dry up the post nasal drip.

I've read that some sinus infections can be linked to yeast so you might consider trying a daily probiotic.

Clarity
01-10-2011, 10:46 PM
I would run the humidifier in her room at night, I would use saline spray/drops. I might give her a dose of Benedryl at bedtime to try to dry up the post nasal drip.

I've read that some sinus infections can be linked to yeast so you might consider trying a daily probiotic.

I have probiotics in the fridge so that wouldn't be difficult to do. Interesting. Thanks for the suggestion.

MSWR0319
01-10-2011, 10:46 PM
We have the same problem. DS is almost 2.5 with known food allergies but wont be tested for environmental until his next checkup. I suspect other allergies though. Anyway, we use the humidifier every night and saline drops at every diaper change when he's having trouble and once a day when we're not having trouble. That being said we had to put him on Nasonex because even those weren't keeping him clear this winter. We've had no issues at all since. But I doubt that would help in your case unless she's exposed to cats elsewhere.

graciebellesmomma
01-11-2011, 07:17 AM
Get this!
http://www.vitacost.com/NutriBiotic-Nasal-Spray?csrc=GPF-728177010508

You can pick it up at most health food stores and Whole Foods.

I am not kidding when I say it is a lifesaver.
I used to get 3-4-5 sinus infections a year and take
antibiotics each time. Sometimes twice to get rid
of the darn thing.

I use this now and have only "started" to get one, once
in the last 3 years.

I use it for my daughter when she starts to get sick
and it works just as well for her.

Good luck!

marit
01-11-2011, 07:35 AM
My baby had a few colds recently and I always use a humidifier. I came to visit my parents in Israel and my mom put a vaporizer in our room (the old kind, the one that actually boils the water) - the difference between that and my fancy humidifier is amazing! It cleared out her congestion so much faster. The minute we turned it on she stopped snoring. I'm a new fan. So I bought one on amazon and it's going to be waiting for me at home when I get back :)