PDA

View Full Version : Which 3rd carseat to get?

NancyJ_redo
01-10-2011, 11:20 PM
I used to be really up to date on carseat info but admittedly, I haven't thoroughly researched it for about 2 years since I bought my last. So I'm hoping a kind mama here can point me in the right direction :wavey:

My baby just turned 2 and insists on using her brothers' carseats instead of her RF Safeseat, so it's time to get her her own FF seat.

We currently have the following (the exact same setups in each of our cars):

7.5yo, 53lb DS in Britax Regent, DOM = 9/07 so has 2 years left.
5yo, 45lb DS in Britax Boulevard, DOM = 1/06 so has 1 year left.

We have a Toyota Sequoia so I'm pretty sure we can fit another good size seat in there. The other car is a Prius and we can possibly fit a mouse between the two current carseats, and that's it ;) No need to get a 3rd carseat in the Prius as we never take 3 kids in there.

FWIW, my kids are all very skinny and tend to be of average height. They'll undoubtedly hit the height limitations before they ever exceed any weight limitations.

I was thinking that I should probably give the 2yo one of the boys' carseats and get my oldest DS something new, but that was before I realized the seats don't have much time left in them. So now I dunno...

Any suggestions? :praying:

NancyJ_redo
01-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Bump. Anyone? Pretty please?

RunnerDuck
01-12-2011, 02:03 PM
I just ordered frontiers for my girls though I don't plan to put them in them for another 9 months or so... I'm stoked because it's the last seat they'll need.

What is your child in now and can you order a frontier? The sale right now is killer. :-)

They're safe to use young, I just feel a convertable is more comfortable ...

KDsMommy
01-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Does she still fit in the SafeSeat? I'm assuming you're talking the infant seat. What are her stats?

bubbaray
01-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Get a new seat, a booster, for the oldest. Pass seats down. When the Blvd expires in a year, see what is on the market then. In a year, I would put the middle child in a booster and *maybe* pass down the Regent, though it isn't great for smaller children. I'd probably get a FR for the youngest at that point.

ETA: we have had really good luck with the Monterey booster. A distant second choice is the Parkway.

NancyJ_redo
01-12-2011, 09:20 PM
Does she still fit in the SafeSeat? I'm assuming you're talking the infant seat. What are her stats?

Yes, she's in the infant seat. I don't know offhand how tall she is but she's only about 24lbs, so height/weight wise she can stay in there longer, but she insists on using one of the older boys' FF seats when one of them isn't with us in the car. So it's best now to just get her the right fitting carseat so at least if she's not RF, she's in a safe, correctly sized/fitted carseat.

Thanks to all PPs for the input. So it seems like I primarily have two options:
1) Give my 7.5yo DS' Regent to the baby and buy a Monterey for 7.5yo. In a year I have to buy 5yo something new when his Blvd expires.
or
2) Give 5yo DS' Blvd to the baby and buy a Frontier for 5yo DS. In a year when Blvd expires buy something new for the baby.

Hmm, I think option #1 makes the most sense, do you agree? The Frontier sounds like a great deal (and I do love a good deal ;)), so option #2 is also compelling. Any additional input on which I should choose?

Thanks again, I *really* appreciate your input! This is extremely helpful for me.

bubbaray
01-12-2011, 09:26 PM
Thanks to all PPs for the input. So it seems like I primarily have two options:
1) Give my 7.5yo DS' Regent to the baby and buy a Monterey for 7.5yo. In a year I have to buy 5yo something new when his Blvd expires.
or
2) Give 5yo DS' Blvd to the baby and buy a Frontier for 5yo DS. In a year when Blvd expires buy something new for the baby.

Hmm, I think option #1 makes the most sense, do you agree? The Frontier sounds like a great deal (and I do love a good deal ;)), so option #2 is also compelling. Any additional input on which I should choose?

I would NOT put a 2yo in a Regent. I would do as I posted. Get a booster for the 7.5yo, give the 5yo the Regent and give the baby the Blvd. Unless the 7.5 yo has SN, there is not reason to not put him in a booster. A properly used/fitted booster in a child over age 5'ish and 40lbs is a perfectly safe option.

JMHO.

NancyJ_redo
01-12-2011, 10:02 PM
I would NOT put a 2yo in a Regent. I would do as I posted. Get a booster for the 7.5yo, give the 5yo the Regent and give the baby the Blvd. Unless the 7.5 yo has SN, there is not reason to not put him in a booster. A properly used/fitted booster in a child over age 5'ish and 40lbs is a perfectly safe option.

JMHO.

Got it, thanks VERY much for the additional input. When you said pass seats down, I misunderstood and thought you just meant give the 7.5yo's seat to the baby. I didn't get that the 5yo's seat would be part of the equation, but now I do. Alright, I'm off to buy a Monterey. Thanks again Melissa :thumbsup: