PDA

View Full Version : Help picking stroller(s) for my twins

Bootsie
01-11-2011, 11:46 AM
I have 4 month old b/g twins. I am currently using a double snap n go and am looking forward to spring when I hope to retire the thing and move to a real stroller. As the babies get heavier, carrying them in their car seats gets to be a bigger and bigger chore; I hate the tandem nature of the snap n go (it's like I've got this big boat the size of a city block that I'm pushing around) and as the babies get heavier, the snap n go is more of a bear to push. Also, neighborhood walks are never that easy with the snap n go -- we have some rough sidewalks, sometimes no sidewalk - just mud, grass and gnarly tree branches -- the snap n go can't handle this terrain.

I started out thinking I would get a City Mini Double until I saw the hammocky seats and inaccessible basket, then thought I'd wind up getting a Bumbleride Indie Twin until I saw the bulky heavy fold. Now, I've come around to the realization that I may need 2 strollers -- one more all terrain (although I would sometimes need to use my all terrain with the car) and one more car/errand like. I need help understanding my choices (the Indie and Double are back in the mix) and thought I'd come to the experts.

Here's me:

1) We take lots of neighborhood walks. This is over uneven sidewalks and sometimes grass or mud. We also go to the local park - the walkways there are gravel and sand. I can't get to the park by foot - I use the car to get there. It is close by, but I have to go around railroad trestles to get there so car is the easiest way.

2) In the spring, we like to go for long fitness walks on a big wide trail that is a car ride away. The path is mainly nice wide smooth sidewalks but there are a few broken areas with grass.

3) We do not jog.

4) We might also go to the zoo or to a local children's museum as the kids get older. This would also be a car ride.

5) I'd like to be able to go to the mall or Target or run a few errands with the twins and for this I need something that is easy to get in and out of the car and easy to fold up and down. Because it would be an errand stroller, it would be nice for it to have a nice big basket that I can access. If it can't have that, it would need to be able to hold things on stroller clips and not tip. I wouldn't grocery shop for a week's food with it or anything like that.

6) My DS is in the 25% for weight/length; my DD is in the 50%/30% percentile for weight/length.

We currently have a sedan, but are shopping to replace it with an SUV. We will either be getting something like a used MDX (in which case our cargo space will be huge - we don't need the third row and will fold it down) or something like a Ford Edge or Escape SUV.

Price is not a concern. With twins, I'm often so frantic, I'd really like something with a dreamy push (no matter how big they get), an easy fold, lightweight (to get in and out of the car). It would also be great if the seats could reverse so they could face me while little but this is not a deal breaker.
A dependable brake would be nice too as a few neighborhood streets are hills.

Also, due to the park being partly gravel and sand and the sidewalks being uneven and that it rains quite a bit around here, I think mud can be an issue and I'm wondering about footrests -- do they get a total mess? Should I be making a metal footrest a priority or do the fabric ones clean up pretty easily?

I know there is not going to be any one stroller that fits all these requirements but my mind is spinning with all the possibilities. The only thing I'm certain on is that I do not want a tandem stroller. Also, I wasn't too keen on the push of the BJ City Select when I tried it with my friend's kids - but I'm not necessarily against the inline idea.

Help! What strollers should I be seriously considering? Is there any chance that if I waited until May, the MB Duet would fit all my needs? Or do the narrow seats mean this is a short term stroller while kids are young or only for the perpetually skinny?

RunnerDuck
01-11-2011, 01:47 PM
No, there is no one perfect stroller for twins. :)

I started out with a double snap n go and an Inglesina Twin Domino - no longer made, run like hell if you find one. AWAY from, not towards.

I actually more or less got through the first 2 years without using a double (except for LONG days out) - I pushed a single and wore one on my front or back. This worked best for me. I STRONGLY suggest an ergo for back carries if you have twins. It makes EVERYTHING easier.

I did end up buying a used Quattro double (I have the single which I love) - it was OK. It did the job. It had a huge basket so was good for all day outings. The problem with it is as they get bigger and heavier it is harder to steer. I was surprised they were really too big for it by 2 1/2. Tandems can be beasts. If you can find a used Graco it's great to have on hand - they fold up and stash in the car easily - but they're not wonderful. (My bigger problem actually was the girls beat each other up in it... they are happier side by side...)

And just my opinion but run like hell from the tandems you have to take the seat off of - this gets old REALLY fast. I was eyeballing the Kolkraft for a while...

I briefly had a Valco trimode with a todler seat added on ... it was nice.. but not great. Kids can't get in and out on their own, and the view for the kid in back is not so great. It was nice as a single, though, while wearing one.

I briefly had a Bob sport utility stroller which was OK but lack of swivelling wheel was pain in the butt.

I sold that and got a Bob dualie - swivel wheel makes HUGE difference. My girls are happy side by side. But this can be a beast to load in the car.

I'd look for something to throw in the car easy, and something for walking, and not try to make one do both. There are a lot of compact side by sides - I know at one point I was considering baby planet. A lot of people like Combis. Stay away from the Peg Perego IMO - PP is rickety plastic junk with a Italian price tag - I especially hate how the seats are two different sizes in that one.

I can't tell you THE perfect option for you but I can tell you you probably will need to consider 2 strollers.

Bootsie
01-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Yes, the friend of the family who has twins has and loves the Bob Duallie. She lives in an area that is more urban than I do though (we are suburban). She really doesn't need to use the car for much of anything. She even uses the stroller to take the kids to daycare in the morning. When I saw the Bob in BBB, I thought I'd die if I had to get it in and out of a car.

scriptkitten
01-11-2011, 03:09 PM
You should definitely get the BOB Duallie. I live downtown and use it for everything but the bus. Running, shopping, strolling, parks, subway (during non-rush hours), etc.

The fold is easy and I'm a pretty strong woman so I have no problem putting it in and out of our SUV, however we RARELY use a car since we live downtown. We only take it in the car 1-2x per month.

You will want the Duallie for any outdoor endeavors, esp as they get older and heavier.

I can see wanting something that is lighter for frequent car usage. I used to have a Maclaren Twin Techno which is nice and light and I found the basket sufficient, but I would only ever use it indoors. Its like pushing a cement through sand outdoors with heavy twins.

I don't have any strong recommendations for a car stroller for twins since I never really needed one. Even if I moved to the suburbs tomorrow, I'd probably STILL use my BOB because its so easy to push

twowhat?
01-11-2011, 03:50 PM
BJCMD all the way for your car stroller. The quick fold, light weight, EVERYTHING make it just a fabulous car/errand stroller. No regrets about choosing this as our car/errand stroller. I've even gotten a week's worth of groceries with it when the girls were little. Just have to be creative and use all the baskets and/or mommy hooks.

We have a BJCED as our all-terrain. We use it for neighborhood walks, also on uneven sidewalks, and bigger weekend trips like zoo or fair or whatever but generally it stays unfolded in the house in our front entry. Lugging it into/out of the car is not something I'd want to do frequently. The BJCED has great features (parent console, tall seatbacks, etc) but not the best push. I haven't tried a BOB or other all-terrain doubles, but from what I've read the BOBs or some other dedicated all terrain brand would probably push much better. Our BJCED works for us though, and I'm happy with it. Though if I had to do it again, I'd probably choose something with a better push.

Totally second getting an Ergo or other carrier, esp one you can do back carries with. Grocery shopping is SO much easier this way once babies are able to sit up steadily - put one in the cart seat and wear the other on your back, and you can get a whole cartful of groceries. I've even run quick errands (like making a return, or dropping off something at the post office) by wearing a baby on my back and carrying the other. No stroller needed!

eta: I live where you pretty much have to drive for everything. So that's why it was most practical to get a dedicated car stroller and a separate all-terrain stroller.

strollerqueen
01-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Except for the "Long fitness walks", (which you need air tires for), look at the aforementioned BJCM, Valco Latitude, Valco Ion, Zooper Tango.

twinsplus1
01-11-2011, 04:44 PM
For my twins I have a Twin Mac Triumph for the car & a BOB Duallie for walks & the zoo. If you are only getting one stroller, I'd get the BOB. It has such a nice push & will fit through doors if you need to use it inside stores.

WatchingThemGrow
01-11-2011, 04:58 PM
We have a BJCED as our all-terrain. We use it for neighborhood walks, also on uneven sidewalks, and bigger weekend trips like zoo or fair or whatever but generally it stays unfolded in the house in our front entry. Lugging it into/out of the car is not something I'd want to do frequently. The BJCED has great features (parent console, tall seatbacks, etc) but not the best push. I haven't tried a BOB or other all-terrain doubles, but from what I've read the BOBs or some other dedicated all terrain brand would probably push much better. Our BJCED works for us though, and I'm happy with it. Though if I had to do it again, I'd probably choose something with a better push.

Are your tires full of air? I find that makes the BIGGEST difference in the push of the stroller. It nearly sails away from me in a BOB-like fashion if the tires are full of air. Otherwise, it's sluggish.

twowhat?
01-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Are your tires full of air? I find that makes the BIGGEST difference in the push of the stroller. It nearly sails away from me in a BOB-like fashion if the tires are full of air. Otherwise, it's sluggish.

Yes, they are. Do you pump more air into them than recommended??

Bootsie
01-11-2011, 10:11 PM
What about the footrest issue? Do these things tend to get dirty on strollers? What type of footrest does the BOB have?

arivecchi
01-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Yes, fabric footrests get dirty over time. I would not want to deal with it.

scriptkitten
01-11-2011, 10:57 PM
What about the footrest issue? Do these things tend to get dirty on strollers? What type of footrest does the BOB have?

metal would be easiest to clean, but the BOB fabric wipes up very easily. I just use papertowels and whatever soap is next to my sink when I'm feeling anal. However, my usage might be different that most… Boston's sidewalks are, well, cement and the parks are either sand or grass or woodchips. There isn't much opportunity for straight up mud and sludge to get on my kids' shoes. If I was full-time living in the country I'd probably feel different about this.

roseyloxs
01-11-2011, 11:10 PM
Since getting my new Bee I am all about the reversible strollers. You choices for sbs would be the Stroll-Air Duo or the new bugaboo donkey.

You have already thrown out the BJCSD but you can check out the Britax B-ready which is similar but is supposed to have a better push. Another option would be the UB Vista with rumble seat. This option allows you two have both kids in the stroller or push the stroller as a single and put another on your back (my favorite carrier is the Beco).

Non-reversible. I am longing for the duet but since its not out yet I will advocate for the indie twin. As you know I love it. I love the bumper bars and adjustable footrests. The fabric is awesome and so easy to clean. The footrests are made of a tough vinyl/rubbery/plastic type material. Part of the fabric overlays the footrest but you can tuck it under the seat if you are worried about dirty boots.