PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Status updates that really bug you......

Pennylane
01-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Here are a few in the last few days that drove me crazy...

"Enjoying a bubble bath and a glass of champagne at the **** hotel with my hubby celebrating our anniversary"

First of all I don't really want to picture you and your hubby in a bubble bath naked and second if you are enjoying it so much get off your blackberry and enjoy it!

"Wake county schools closed today"

Just bugs me because just about all of my 250 friends had to post it. I mean I got the info from the news just like they did!!

"Wow, great workout!Is my butt going to be feeling it tomorrow"

Need I say more :)

Let's hear yours!

Ann

momm
01-11-2011, 12:23 PM
I knew this chick who was forever falling into the "woe is me" category - and would constantly post passive aggressive statuses just so her "boyfriend" (read as, the guy who would phone her for sex) would read.

I don't have specifics (I unfriended her she was getting on my NERVES) but they were all quotes from poems/ movies/ books without giving credit to the original writer/ author/ poets.

Funniest part is that she did it all for seeking attention so people would ask.. honey what's wrong? Perfect candidate for the STFU tumblr sites!

ETA: I think you all will love this site: http://stfuparents.tumblr.com/

Melaine
01-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Anything about medical issues or bodily functions;
e.g. "Sarah can't wait until these cramps go away"

Anything that could be construed as bragging about your social status or financial situation;
e.g. "Sarah can't believe the size of her anniversary ring from her wonderful hubby"

Anything overly upbeat or sickly sweet in any way;
e.g. "Sarah can't wait to go outside in this beautiful sunshine and greet this amazing day!"

Puddy73
01-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Repeated posts about routine activities such as "Just had my first cup of coffee" or "Home from work." Who cares?!?!?!

elliput
01-11-2011, 12:32 PM
I have an acquaintance who has a hate relationship with Mondays. Between the weekly "I hate Monday" posts which started on Sunday and continued through Monday night and various other drama, I hid her.

belovedgandp
01-11-2011, 12:35 PM
The intentionally vague ones that are screaming for people to ask what is wrong or up or whatever.

ILs have constant inside jokes going back and forth with each other. Which I see occasionally among other mutual FB friends, but is more annoying when they have intentionally excluded us from the relationships.

WolfpackMom
01-11-2011, 12:37 PM
People who complain or whine every.single.post. Every once and awhile is ok, even once a week, we all have bad days. But really I get tired of the bitching and moaning when its constant. Also the passive aggressive ones where they just want people to ask whats going on so they can explain more...
Also people who brag constantly, or who post every 3 minutes it seems about random crap no one cares about.
Overly political statements that seem to be posted just because they will push buttons.

Also on the "wake county schools closed" thing, lol, one of my friend's mom posted this yesterday and I had a wth moment. Her kids are in their mid-late twenties and she doesnt work for the school system - exactly who is she posting this for??

kerridean
01-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Anything related to potty training. UGH. "little Madison went poo poo on the potty today! WOO HOO" UGH! Gross!

g-mama
01-11-2011, 12:42 PM
"I'm so sad...I'm so depressed...." on a CONSTANT basis. It makes me want to scream, "go get yourself some help or stop complaining." It looks needy and desperate, IMO. Sometimes we all feel that way, but it just isn't the right forum. If you need some attention, call a friend.

Sports updates - though my dh (who doesn't like sports) says that these get much more response than the ones about people's kids, LOL.

The people who every single Friday, post "TGIF" or every single Monday, post "Is it Friday yet?"

My MIL was asking me why my updates get so many responses and I told her it's because I wait to post til I have something worth saying or discussing or that's funny in some way. Otherwise, it's a big yawn.

MMMommy
01-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Maybe I'm just being mean, but I get annoyed with the gushy-gushy posts of sentiment to significant others.

"Hugs and kisses to the BEST husband in the whole wide world. You are the most loving, loyal, giving person EVER. What did I do to deserve such a sweetie like you?"

And the bragging ones bug too.

"Beautiful, healthy baby. Loving, adoring wife. Check. New house. Check. I couldn't ask for a more perfect life."

I'm not kidding. The guy actually referred to his wife as "adoring." Which just made me want to puke.

JoyNChrist
01-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Yes to the intentionally vague ones that are screaming for attention.

I get annoyed by people who always post song lyrics or (might get me flames) Bible verses. Every now and then is fine, but really, I own a radio and a Bible.

elliput
01-11-2011, 12:47 PM
"Beautiful, healthy baby. Loving, adoring wife. Check. New house. Check. I couldn't ask for a more perfect life."

I'm not kidding. The guy actually referred to his wife as "adoring." Which just made me want to puke.

The first thing that popped to mind was that she adores his fat paycheck and/or his large penis. :D

willow33
01-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Some have already been stated...

The totally vague ones drive me nuts!! I hate that the person is looking for someone to ask "What's wrong?" only to be told they can't elaborate or won't elaborate.

Husband and wives that converse on FB. Don't you live together or see each other? Certain couples do this all the time that I know.

And I have one cousin who posts constantly about everything and nothing, but when you are with her she is so shy and quiet. It's very strange to me!!

Pennylane
01-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Some have already been stated...

The totally vague ones drive me nuts!! I hate that the person is looking for someone to ask "What's wrong?" only to be told they can't elaborate or won't elaborate.

Husband and wives that converse on FB. Don't you live together or see each other? Certain couples do this all the time that I know.

And I have one cousin who posts constantly about everything and nothing, but when you are with her she is so shy and quiet. It's very strange to me!!

The husbands and wives that talk back and forth make me crazy too! I mean really, call, email, text, just don't do it on facebook!!

Ann

Pennylane
01-11-2011, 01:03 PM

It's funny, I have friends on FB from high school that were so quiet and never talked or socialized. For some reason they are the ones who post the most on FB!

Ann

momm
01-11-2011, 01:04 PM
The husbands and wives that talk back and forth make me crazy too! I mean really, call, email, text, just don't do it on facebook!!

That bugs me SO much.
Obviously they are only "conversing" to show others what they talk about.. it's not about communicating with each other...

BabyBearsMom
01-11-2011, 01:07 PM
Yes to the intentionally vague ones that are screaming for attention.

I get annoyed by people who always post song lyrics or (might get me flames) Bible verses. Every now and then is fine, but really, I own a radio and a Bible.

:yeahthat: except I don't own a bible.

arivecchi
01-11-2011, 01:11 PM
People whose updates are constantly negative. Get a therapist.

People who are constantly posting political stuff. Shut it. You are not going to change my mind.

Updates that tell you how wonderful their life is or flaunting purchases.

"Check out my new Gucci belt and Tod's loafers!"

"Enjoying a great martini overlooking the pool at the Ritz in _____."

"My new book/movie is a hit!"

I get it you are so fab you cannot stand it! :6:

I must say though - those wacky updates make FB interesting!

megs4413
01-11-2011, 01:11 PM
The afore-mentioned husband/wife gush fests irritate me.

The only ones I really can't stand are the "only 10% will repost this. Will you be one of them?" ones. Of course I support breast cancer awareness (or whatever the cause of the status is) but I'm not reposting that ****ty status. Darn you for trying to make me feel guilty about it!

♥ms.pacman♥
01-11-2011, 01:12 PM
the ones that get me the most are the very strong political ones, with links etc. every once in a while is ok, but every.single.day...annoying, and not going to change my viewpoint. i've blocked people for doing this.

and yeah, i too dont' get the ones that are extremely vague, like they're begging for ppl to ask what's going on. why not just say it in the first place?

oh and when people complain about the same stuff over and over again. one person in my feed complains about her job & her boss practically every day. sometimes using expletives. um, ok we get it.

oh and i love that STFUParents site. cracks me up. i do try not to become like the parents on there. i am guilty of posting tons of pics of my DS, though i will not post pics of his poop or him naked/exposing his pee-pee. yes i do believe that my DS is the most adorable baby ever, but i can't imagine anybody else i know that really wants to see that.

Staraglimmer
01-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Anything that someone ends with "Just sayin' " aggggggrrrr So annoying!:irked:

willow33
01-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Recently I had posted about an e-reader and asked for reviews/recommendations. A family member on my dh's side actually posted a long rant about how I should get a library card and introduce my children to books. It went on and on and was so upsetting to me that I deleted the entire thread and blocked him. Why do people feel the need to do things like that?

JoyNChrist
01-11-2011, 01:18 PM

Yes yes yes!!! Why does everybody do that now? So annoying!

Cam&Clay
01-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Anything related to potty training. UGH. "little Madison went poo poo on the potty today! WOO HOO" UGH! Gross!

:yeahthat:

A guy I went to high school gave daily updates on his son's potty training progress.

RunnerDuck
01-11-2011, 01:24 PM
The intentionally vague ones that are screaming for people to ask what is wrong or up or whatever.

Yes, that!!!!! Especially when they are followed up with "It's a long story" or "it's complicated" or "I really shouldn't talk about it here."

OK so don't bring it up!

elliput
01-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Recently I had posted about an e-reader and asked for reviews/recommendations. A family member on my dh's side actually posted a long rant about how I should get a library card and introduce my children to books. It went on and on and was so upsetting to me that I deleted the entire thread and blocked him. Why do people feel the need to do things like that?
My DH and I were talking just a few days ago that we will probably be seeing more libraries going digital and physical books becoming the rare oddity. (Cue the scene from Wall-E)

SnuggleBuggles
01-11-2011, 01:32 PM
All listed already plus the pictures and updates about the great party they went to with half their friends. Sucks to be in the half that wasn't included and has to see it. Even if I was included I still think it's in poor taste knowing full well there could be unnecessary hurt feelings. Keep those things private, imo.

Beth

RunnerDuck
01-11-2011, 01:34 PM
All listed already plus the pictures and updates about the great party they went to with half their friends. Sucks to be in the half that wasn't included and has to see it. Even if I was included I still think it's in poor taste knowing full well there could be unnecessary hurt feelings. Keep those things private, imo.

Beth

Oh good so it's not just me LOL

I also hate the "had a great time at the _____ today with ______ " I always wonder DID you have a great time or do you just want everyone to know you have friends? LOL

MaiseyDog
01-11-2011, 01:35 PM

Those are the worst! If it's so private, don't talk about it in a realtively public manner. People's inablity to keep private moments private is a big one with me. I have a friend who bitched and complained on FB for at least a month about how her MIL wanted to be in the delivery room for the birth of her second child and how my friend was pissed because it was a private moment that she wanted to share with just her DH. Fine, not a problem, I agree with her, but then, she goes and post pictures from the delivery on FB while she's still in the delivery room. Hello, if it's so private that it was worth causing family drama, why are you bringing the rest of us into the delivery room with you. Besides I don't want to see pictures of your uncleaned up, naked baby.

luckytwenty
01-11-2011, 01:40 PM
I don't like the mass "if you're proud to be a mom change your status update to..."

I don't like woe is me posts or brag posts when they constantly come from the same people. HATE anything that's a materialistic/financial brag.

I disabled super-political people from my feed, that's how much I can't stand that!!

Pennylane
01-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Oh good so it's not just me LOL

I also hate the "had a great time at the _____ today with ______ " I always wonder DID you have a great time or do you just want everyone to know you have friends? LOL

Those are the best right :) I have a friend that does it all the time. I am always telling my DH about Steph's great weekend with various neighbors. Sometimes it includes us, sometimes not!

Ann

3blackcats
01-11-2011, 01:55 PM
I don't like the ones that update you every single day on the status of their pregnancy. Which turns to updates of how their DC is doing every single day.

jenfromnj
01-11-2011, 01:56 PM
You all have already hit upon my pain status update pet peeves, LOL--the vague, blatantly attention-seeking ones are the worst!

Also hate the ones who are bragging but try to couch it as a complaint, as in "A is so pissed that his bonus is only enough to buy a Boxster and not a Carerra"--come on now!

I also have a couple of "friends" who post about their every move all day, and one who is literally constant--from "X should rise and shine soon" [do you really need to update your status before you get out of bed?], "X is brewing Kona blend, mmmmm", "X can't decide what to wear, really need to reorganize the closets", "X is stuck in traffic, stupid Route 4" [on your phone while driving, really?], and so on ALL DAY LONG.

I thought about hiding this person, but it's good for a laugh most of the time, so I haven't.

mommylamb
01-11-2011, 01:58 PM
There are two things that irk me

1. those messages that say things like "Cancer is a terrible thing. (add in a bunch of anti cancer stuff here) If you think cancer is a terrible thing repost this in your status." Like if you choose to not repost it in your status you're pro cancer or something. I find these incredibly annoying.

2. I have a FB "friend" who I knew in high school who would make the crunchiest of crunchy BBB parent look mainstream. And that's all well and good, except that every status update is some sort of very judgmental parenting tip aimed at those who make different choices. Seriously, the woman IS the blond on the mompetitors videos. And, while I'm very pro breastfeeding, she posts hundereds of pictures of herself BFing on FB, and I feel like that's just odd. (OK, flame me now).

RunnerDuck
01-11-2011, 02:15 PM
And, while I'm very pro breastfeeding, she posts hundereds of pictures of herself BFing on FB, and I feel like that's just odd. (OK, flame me now).

I can't stand a lot of the pro-bf stuff on FB. They call themselves lactavists, I call them whactavists. (And I have breastfed 3 kids, and plan to bf #4 - I am not at ALL anti-bf - just against this whole making a statement aspect of it. Grow up and just feed your kid.) (The whole FB nursing profile pic thing really drives me nuts)

wencit
01-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Maybe I'm just being mean, but I get annoyed with the gushy-gushy posts of sentiment to significant others.

"Hugs and kisses to the BEST husband in the whole wide world. You are the most loving, loyal, giving person EVER. What did I do to deserve such a sweetie like you?"

I'm not kidding. The guy actually referred to his wife as "adoring." Which just made me want to puke. :yeahthat: times 1000.

I hate Facebook PDA. My SIL/BIL and do this all the time. One of their friends told them to "get a room" after the gazillionth status update like this. Really, if you're posting stuff like, "You are the best househusband ever" on someone's wall, that's purely for other people to see -- it's not genuine to me at all.

I should probably hide them from my feed, but it's like watching a train wreck.

clc053103
01-11-2011, 02:28 PM
any posts on your spouse or SO's wall. Seriously, if you need the public to see you saying "I love you baby" or "Have a great day sweetie can't wait to see you tonight", then clearly, your relationship is in trouble.

I once read an article that the oversharers of facebook are the people that really aren't happy in their lives so they are trying to make themselves seem to have the life that they want. Makes sense to me.

pomegranate
01-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Repeated posts about routine activities such as "Just had my first cup of coffee" or "Home from work." Who cares?!?!?!
I have an FB friend who posts 10 times a day about what he's doing next. At airport. Getting on plane. Just landed in Seattle. Etc. I mean, c'mon! I don't need to know what you're doing every minute of the day! Plus, isn't that a security issue if you tell all your FB friends that you're out of town???

SnuggleBuggles
01-11-2011, 02:30 PM
I thought of another. I have a friend on there, don't know her all that well but our social circles overlap. She posts daily about the fantastic multi course homecooked meal she is making and the decorations and such that will go along with the dinner. I admit it, she makes me feel inadequate and I think she is just showing off.

Beth

katydid1971
01-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Anything about medical issues or bodily functions;
e.g. "Sarah can't wait until these cramps go away"

Anything that could be construed as bragging about your social status or financial situation;
e.g. "Sarah can't believe the size of her anniversary ring from her wonderful hubby"

Anything overly upbeat or sickly sweet in any way;
e.g. "Sarah can't wait to go outside in this beautiful sunshine and greet this amazing day!"

You don't like my posts?!?
Just kidding ;)

-People who post everything (really I didn't want to see a picture of what you had for dinner.)
-DH's early 20s cousin friended me and post gross stuff (bad language, rude, etc) I blocked him.
-A family member has recently become very religious and post religious videos and stuff all the time (also blocked)
-I post a lot of political stuff but its mostly for 4 friends, all of who usually comment on it.

barkley1
01-11-2011, 02:41 PM
I have a FB friend that literally thinks he's the official FB meteorologist. He NEVER posts anything but constant weather updates, road conditions, and severe weather warnings/watches. GEEZ. I have a tv, thankyouverymuch.

TwinFoxes
01-11-2011, 02:51 PM
People whose updates are constantly negative. Get a therapist.

Seriously. The only person I've ever hid was constantly negative, and she had a gaggle of friends who would rush to "comfort" her via FB. She was a drama queen in HS, and she still is.

The only ones I really can't stand are the "only 10% will repost this. Will you be one of them?" ones. Of course I support breast cancer awareness (or whatever the cause of the status is) but I'm not reposting that ****ty status. Darn you for trying to make me feel guilty about it!

:yeahthat: Times a million. That or the random double entendre status such as "Karen likes it in the foyer" that's supposedly for a cause. Or posting the color of your bra, that's gonna cure breast cancer.

Um, I think those are better than the ones that start with "um"!

"Um, next time you park next to me, can you leave me room to get out? Thanks."

And not a status update, but usually a response to one...can we please retire "I just threw up in my mouth a little bit". STOP IT! It's the "you go girl" of the 2000s. It was only vaguely clever the first 10,000 times, but now, it's just annoying.

In full disclosure...I post sports updates, and I've had one FB convo with DH. But he was out of town, and it was for comedic effect (our friends said it was funny...maybe they were humoring us!)

elektra
01-11-2011, 02:55 PM

I have a friend who posts so many like this. Yesterday is was:
"Sigh."

RunnerDuck
01-11-2011, 02:55 PM
I just watched a bunch of "it's snowing" updates pop up LOL

My brother gets so mad when people do that, I told my cousin down in Florida to post "it's snowing" just to jag him

zephyr
01-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Posting *every* single date and what the couple did and ate...I don't care..
Also posting photos of every single meal..

elektra
01-11-2011, 02:59 PM
The constant negativity gets me too. It's the only reason I have actually blocked someone.

And I hate when people post about going to the gym- but that's my own hangup. I am jealous and guilty when I read those posts as I am popping Joe Joe's into my mouth.

I have to admit that I am guilty of many of the above things listed though!

artvandalay
01-11-2011, 03:12 PM
I am polar opposites when it comes to politics with one of my so called friends. Her political status updates REALLY bug me. They are all negative in nature. I especially hate when they don't even come from a reliable news source. She's entitled to her own opinion, but I'm sick of constantly reading them.

I've since "hidden" her from my updates.

Roni
01-11-2011, 03:19 PM
I'm not on FB, and sometimes I feel like I'm missing out. Now I'm not so sure. :)

pinkmomagain
01-11-2011, 03:32 PM
I don't mind most. I don't like cryptic ones that you know the poster is putting out there just to get tons of responses of concern or question. If something good or bad happened...just say it!

eta: Oh! Hadn't read through all the posts and now I'm seeing others have the same feelings as me! Wonder if we share the same few annoying friends......

fortato
01-11-2011, 03:34 PM
This is why I like to post things like "I'm glad I have a mouth because I wouldn't want to have to smell a butt to get to know my friends" says Jack. "

I like to keep things lively.

I get most annoyed by my sister and her Debbie Downer posts. I'm half tempted to post the sad trombone link just so she would get the point.

citymama
01-11-2011, 03:42 PM
I have a few friends who fancy themselves as great cooks. Now I appreciate the occasional photo and update about some amazing new dish they have cooked, but on a near daily basis? And then their spouse/partner gushing in their FB feed about how amazing that dish was and how their partner rocks? Again, occasionally that's sweet and interesting, but no more than once a month, thank you.

The ones I really dislike are the ones from my under age 25 FB friends with misspelling and weird grammar. "i m so in luv vid LIIIIIIFE!" followed by 10 hearts. And then "hd a wickedly wild tm wid my peeps - mwah!" (This is my 21 yr old cousin). Girl, delete those pics, wipe off that make up and learn how to spell!

RunnerDuck
01-11-2011, 03:46 PM
I have a few friends who fancy themselves as great cooks. Now I appreciate the occasional photo and update about some amazing new dish they have cooked, but on a near daily basis? And then their spouse/partner gushing in their FB food about how amazing that dish was and how their partner rocks? Again, occasionally that's sweet and interesting, but no more than once a month, thank you.!

I'm so over this whole everyone's an amateur photographer thing. I don't need to see pics of the ingredients neatly lined up before you make the dish. I don't need a pic of the finished dish.

And I don't need 60 pics of your kids in the same original artistic pose everyone else is using.

I don't mind pics of kids, but I hate the blurred background, the feet close-ups, the little hands around a carefully picked out mug, etc... everyone with a digital camera suddenly thinks they're the next Ansel Adams.

And another thing, the fact that you eat and take pictures of your food does NOT make you a foodie.

Ceepa
01-11-2011, 03:49 PM
I'm so over this whole everyone's an amateur photographer thing. I don't need to see pics of the ingredients neatly lined up before you make the dish. I don't need a pic of the finished dish.

And I don't need 60 pics of your kids in the same original artistic pose everyone else is using.

I don't mind pics of kids, but I hate the blurred background, the feet close-ups, the little hands around a carefully picked out mug, etc... everyone with a digital camera suddenly thinks they're the next Ansel Adams.

And another thing, the fact that you eat and take pictures of your food does NOT make you a foodie.

Yes to all this.

Jenny_A
01-11-2011, 03:55 PM
I'm never posting another status again :bag

Reyadawnbringer
01-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Pretty much all of these for me too, but another big one I didn't see mentioned is the fake letter to a person or thing who can't respond, closed with a "kthanks".

Example, "Dear cold weather, I really wanted to take my cuter than cute baby out for a walk today but you had to go and ruin it for us. In the future try to not be so cold kthanks!".

This person also thinks the world revolves around said cuter than cute baby so we often arte treated to posts such as "I swear I have the cutest baby in the world" these are usually closed with "That is all". Really, that's all?? /sarcasm

actually, quite a few of this persons FB posts bug the heck out of me. They are whiney, self-indulgent, complaining, and uninformed, and sometimes extremely narrow minded. I think its time to hide from status feed...

♥ms.pacman♥
01-11-2011, 04:43 PM
And I hate when people post about going to the gym- but that's my own hangup. I am jealous and guilty when I read those posts as I am popping Joe Joe's into my mouth.

:yeahthat: hehe, glad to know i'm know the only one who gets annoyed by this. once in a while is fine, but yeah, i get annoyed at the constant (multiple times per week) posts of people bragging about working out, or that they just ran xx miles. i admit though it's bc i havent' been to the gym in years, and these days most of the time i'm reading Facebook i'm eating ice cream or cookies. lol

Lolabee
01-11-2011, 04:45 PM
My husband's cousin is one of those nice and well meaning yet still utterly annoying women who thinks she is the first person ever to have a baby. Most of the family have blocked her status updates (2 week old baby just rolled over for the first time, he's a genius! Snuggled up on a cold afternoon with my happy, contented sleeping baby, what bliss! 1 month old baby is already sleeping through the night, it's so wonderful getting 9 hours of uninterrupted sleep! Baby plus Mommy and Daddy equals bliss!) but I still haven't worked up the courage to do so.

But if I see one more status update of hers that emotes on how blissful it is to parent her perfect baby I may finally go ahead and block her once and for all.

mommylamb
01-11-2011, 04:48 PM
My husband's cousin is one of those nice and well meaning yet still utterly annoying women who thinks she is the first person ever to have a baby. Most of the family have blocked her status updates (2 week old baby just rolled over for the first time, he's a genius! Snuggled up on a cold afternoon with my happy, contented sleeping baby, what bliss! 1 month old baby is already sleeping through the night, it's so wonderful getting 9 hours of uninterrupted sleep! Baby plus Mommy and Daddy equals bliss!) but I still haven't worked up the courage to do so.

That kind of makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit (that was meant for you, TwinFoxes :30:)

liz
01-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Yes to the posters who write about their every move "going to work!" "have to go food shopping and make dinner!". Yes, you moron, you are the ONLY person who does this.

Also friends who have entire, cryptic conversations on FB- use the private message button!

And constantly using LOL and !!!!!!

lucybabymamma
01-11-2011, 05:15 PM

That's why I got off facebook!
I mean seriously...no one is that interesting!

And, here's the rub: Anything that IS actually newsworthy enough to post -- births, big announcements, deaths -- should probably be expressed through another communication forum anyway.

The final straws for me were:
* daily dinner photos
* a friend telling everyone about a small party we were having (pretty rude to all the uninvited "friends"
*a friend posting daily brags about scaling mountains
* one acquaintance posting her miscarriage as she was having it....

Now that I am off, I have more time to keep in touch with my real friends by phone, email or seeing them and am MUCH happier!

bigpassport
01-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Teenagers who use profanity or crude language in their posts. True example: "Mondays can smd!" was posted by a 15 yo girl. Wrong on so many levels!

SnuggleBuggles
01-11-2011, 05:23 PM
Teenagers who use profanity or crude language in their posts. True example: "Mondays can smd!" was posted by a 15 yo girl. Wrong on so many levels!

Hysterically wrong though and I would love to call her attention to the missing anatomy.

I once chided my teenage niece's spelling on FB and she has greatly improved since then. :)

Beth

kristac
01-11-2011, 05:26 PM
I enjoy most posts. Don't need the vaugebooking or the chainstatus' and I'd really appreciate if they'd censor any cursing since my 6 year old will be able to read soon. Otherwise I like the randomness. I learn things about people that I'd never know otherwise.

crl
01-11-2011, 05:31 PM

I know. Every time I think maybe I should finally get a FB account I see a thread here that totally discourages me. Do I want all these annoying updates? Will I just annoy people with my updates? Probably not worth the effort.

Catherine

liz
01-11-2011, 05:40 PM
I know. Every time I think maybe I should finally get a FB account I see a thread here that totally discourages me. Do I want all these annoying updates? Will I just annoy people with my updates? Probably not worth the effort.

Catherine

See, when I posted earlier, I was referencing a few people (who all happen to be good friends) who "abuse" FB (that's just my opinion). Really, most friends and family come on to share happy events, random musings and updates on things going on in their life. Once I hid the few who annoyed me, FB was much better. It really is a great way to keep in touch.

MamaMolly
01-11-2011, 05:42 PM
I
The ones I really dislike are the ones from my under age 25 FB friends with misspelling and weird grammar. "i m so in luv vid LIIIIIIFE!" followed by 10 hearts. And then "hd a wickedly wild tm wid my peeps - mwah!" (This is my 21 yr old cousin). Girl, delete those pics, wipe off that make up and learn how to spell!

Could be worse like the almost 40 year old 'friend' I have from HS who posts pretty much the same thing. So cheesy. And he also uses swear words to call people 'joke' names. Icky ones like the P word and CUNextTuesday (IYKWIM). Just not my idea of someone who's developed socially beyond...oh...age 12.

Lolabee
01-11-2011, 06:06 PM
..and I'd really appreciate if they'd censor any cursing since my 6 year old will be able to read soon.

On a related note, my husband's family wants me to "tone down" my bleeding heart liberal posts because one cousin's 14yo FB friended me and apparently they're worried that I'll be a bad influence or something. Yep, that's not going to happen. I don't think I've ever resorted to cursing or anything otherwise considered an obscenity (except for references to breastfeeding, oh no! shield the children!) but I have been known to express my opinion from time to time.

Which brings up another issue, why is it that some parents let their kids onto Facebook in the first place and not police better who they have as friends or what they have access to?

Not picking on you Krista, I just thought it was an interesting jumping off point for my own point.

Globetrotter
01-11-2011, 06:26 PM
I blocked one high school friend who constantly posts angry messages about the government (Tea Party on Steroids). I just couldn't take it any more!

Otherwise, the annoying ones are the chain updates and, yes, can't stand the vague ones, unless it's something positive and exciting (like my friend was about to become an aunt and was so excited but didn't want to post the reason for her excitement until the baby was delivered).

MichelleRC
01-11-2011, 06:28 PM
Pretty much all of these for me too, but another big one I didn't see mentioned is the fake letter to a person or thing who can't respond, closed with a "kthanks".

Example, "Dear cold weather, I really wanted to take my cuter than cute baby out for a walk today but you had to go and ruin it for us. In the future try to not be so cold kthanks!".
d...

I was just coming to write this exact thing. Right down to the kthanks. :)

brgnmom
01-11-2011, 06:52 PM

Catherine

:yeahthat: I have a FB account, but rarely use it or update my status for this reason. The last time I updated it was to announce my DD's birth, but I left out all the details - just stuck to a generic announcement that my DS has a baby sibling.

since that announcement, however, I have had friends asking me to post pics, but I haven't at all on FB.

LexyLou
01-11-2011, 06:56 PM

These drive me crazy! Not all my friends have kids, they don't want to hear that your kid dropped a log in the toilet. That's private or at least for playgroup.

Totally! I hate the "It's Mom of Daughters Week. Repost if you love your daughters..." Uggg, I don't think reposting will make my love stronger for my kids.

Pennylane
01-11-2011, 06:58 PM
See, when I posted earlier, I was referencing a few people (who all happen to be good friends) who "abuse" FB (that's just my opinion). Really, most friends and family come on to share happy events, random musings and updates on things going on in their life. Once I hid the few who annoyed me, FB was much better. It really is a great way to keep in touch.

I agree...I love how it enables me to keep in touch with people I otherwise wouldn't.

Ann

arivecchi
01-11-2011, 07:01 PM
How about we all post this?

If you have a conscience and care about several causes but have figured out that posting an inane FB update about such cause will do absolutely zero for such cause, repost this as your status update.

:D

Lolabee
01-11-2011, 07:10 PM

If you have a conscience and care about several causes but have figured out that posting an inane FB update about such cause will do absolutely zero for such cause, repost this as your status update.

:ROTFLMAO::hysterical:

Reyadawnbringer
01-11-2011, 07:46 PM

Love this!

LarsMal
01-11-2011, 08:02 PM
Yes to so so many of these- the vague ones fishing for attention, constant gym updates (Mommy Fit forum is the only appropriate place for such comments ;) ), etc. drive me nuts.

The other day I told my friend I am going to start calling FB "Facebrag". I can't stand the bragging. I'm really starting to have negative feelings towards some good friends!!

What annoys me the most are husbands and wives who post lovey messages on each other's walls- Do they not realize it's on mh wall, too?! The ones who do it are with each other all the time, and probably sending it while in the same room. Just tell him he's the "Best.Husband.Ever..." and don't clog my wall up with it!

Sometimes I feel like I go out of my way making sure I don't post an annoying status!

DietCokeLover
01-11-2011, 08:11 PM
I can't stand running commentary on whatever sporting event is on TV at the moment. I have a friend who posts no less than 20 times during a football game, etc. If I was interested, I'd be watching the game.

mommylamb
01-11-2011, 08:17 PM

Oh, I'm in if you are!

designermv
01-11-2011, 08:20 PM
This is slightly different than annoying status updates, but I hate it when you comment on a friend's status, and someone you don't know does a drive-by on your post. For example, yesterday a friend posted that she was at her wit's end because her baby wouldn't nap. I commented (jokingly) that it was time for baby to have a Benadryl Martini. Then another one of her friends proceeded to lecture me that Benadryl makes some babies hyper and it wasn't really appropriate to drug children to make them sleep. OH RLLY?!? Well shiz, I guess I have to put away the chloroform and tranquilizer darts.

liz
01-11-2011, 08:26 PM
:rotflmao:
Well shiz, I guess I have to put away the chloroform and tranquilizer darts.

Please tell me you wrote this reponse to the benadryl comment .......

Pennylane
01-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Another great one I just saw...

"Write one word that describes my best quality that starts with the first letter of your last name"

How about "Loser"!!

Ann

NancyJ_redo
01-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Another great one I just saw...

"Write one word that describes my best quality that starts with the first letter of your last name"

How about "Loser"!!

Ann

:hysterical::hysterical: Thank you, I totally needed that laugh!

elbenn
01-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Ryan Reynolds, on SNL, did a funny song about Facebook status updates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa5XDY-uyEM&playnext=1&list=PL02FD826D85763788&index=32

arivecchi
01-11-2011, 10:39 PM
Oh, I'm in if you are! Shall we? :ROTFLMAO:

Reyadawnbringer
01-11-2011, 10:43 PM
Shall we? :ROTFLMAO:

Dude, we shall! I'm in!

purpleeyes
01-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Anyone who posts about how stay-at-home mommyhood is flowers, sunshine, rainbows and unicorns all. the. time. :barf:

Anyone who repeatedly posts about her pyramid-y stay at home mom sales gig in vague, "please ask me about this" way.

I love that this thread is nine pages long. More, please! :bighand:

Melbel
01-12-2011, 12:12 AM
I really do not get annoyed with much on FB. I have loved reconnecting with so many people that I had "lost" through graduations, moves and just getting busy with life. I particularly love the photos, and contrary to a PP, appreciate any efforts at art (then again, I do not have friends posting detailed pictures of their food every day). What annoys me is when the albums have a huge number of pictures 50+) and there is no effort to cull out duplicates or out of focus pictures.

I agree with most of what has been posted (vague posts, shameless bragfests, causes when posting does not help the cause, requests to repost, teeeeeen speak etc.). It also bugs me when people post their game scores for applications or make requests for Mafia Wars, Farm, etc. in their status update (which circumvents my blocking of the application).

melonpan
01-12-2011, 03:54 AM

haha, me neither!

melonpan
01-12-2011, 03:56 AM
This person also thinks the world revolves around said cuter than cute baby so we often arte treated to posts such as "I swear I have the cutest baby in the world" these are usually closed with "That is all". Really, that's all?? /sarcasm

*runs away, crying*

marylovesbennyhill
01-12-2011, 05:35 AM
This is not about status updates per se...but bragging in general annoys me. Like the friend from high school who married an airline pilot and lives in a mcmansion. She has 20 pictures of the exterior of her house on FB. Uh, ok, we get it. You(or shall I say your husband) is rich!

citymama
01-12-2011, 05:53 AM

:hysterical:

TwinFoxes
01-12-2011, 08:48 AM

You are too funny! I would have some very insulted inlaws if I did this. But ooooh, so tempting.

SnuggleBuggles
01-12-2011, 08:55 AM
I really do not get annoyed with much on FB. I have loved reconnecting with so many people that I had "lost" through graduations, moves and just getting busy with life. I particularly love the photos, and contrary to a PP, appreciate any efforts at art (then again, I do not have friends posting detailed pictures of their food every day). What annoys me is when the albums have a huge number of pictures 50+) and there is no effort to cull out duplicates or out of focus pictures.

On the picture note, I hate when people don't put captions on the pictures. You don't have to tag people or give names, I'm in favor of leaving those details off. But, otherwise I think it makes the pictures more interesting if there is some attempt to let those that weren't there know what things are. My friend did a trip through South America and the pics were stunning. I'd have loved to hear more about the adventure. :)

Beth

TwinFoxes
01-12-2011, 09:01 AM
That kind of makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit (that was meant for you, TwinFoxes :30:)

Um, Dear Mommylamb, can you try not to be so funny? Thanks. ;)

kdeunc
01-12-2011, 09:42 AM
This is slightly different than annoying status updates, but I hate it when you comment on a friend's status, and someone you don't know does a drive-by on your post. For example, yesterday a friend posted that she was at her wit's end because her baby wouldn't nap. I commented (jokingly) that it was time for baby to have a Benadryl Martini. Then another one of her friends proceeded to lecture me that Benadryl makes some babies hyper and it wasn't really appropriate to drug children to make them sleep. OH RLLY?!? Well shiz, I guess I have to put away the chloroform and tranquilizer darts.
:hysterical: I seriously hope that you posted that!!

MoJo
01-12-2011, 09:42 AM
I was also thinking the constant sports updates, like DietCokeLover. But I assume that watching the game while posting on fb is their way of feeling like they're watching the game with friends, so I mostly ignore them.

FB game statuses are the only thing I've blocked anyone for.

:bag Like a few other PPs, I'm guilty of several of these.

1) Pictures of kids. . . they get more positive comments than anything else I post, including from my childless friends. I limit them to a dozen or fewer at a time, probably only once every month or two, and always carefully selected. I don't usually include captions, because at this stage most of them seem self-explanatory. (ie, here's a cute picture of my kids in the snow, or unwrapping presents, or baking cookies, or sleeping, or just smiling. . . but I'd never say that!)

2) School closing reports. . . because 90% of my fb friends aren't in this area, and even those who are here will ask, "So, was DH's school closed?" as soon as they see me.

3) Vague posts requesting prayer. But the most recent time, I added, "God knows what we need," which let everyone except my mom know that I WASN'T looking for attention or a discussion. I was having a really hard time with a matter I really couldn't discuss, and FB is the fastest way to get that sort of help from dozens of people who I knew would pray.

4) Frequent comments about the kids. . . again, because people give me positive feedback on those. Not so much on anything else, such as work life, home life, etc. I think most of my friends are on fb to share about their kids, too.

5) Lots of positive comments. . . probably because the other person I almost blocked was the one who complained with every post. I really try to keep it real, and not too sappy. But when JellyBean said "Mama Awesome!" I did have to make that my status.

6) I've had a few Bible verses/song lyrics/political posts over the years. But only one or two of each per year. Certainly not my typical post. (I have one friend who posts song lyrics nearly every day. His "real" updates are only once or twice a year).

And, I'm the very quiet person who posts on fb as much as or more than most of my friends (generally somewhere between once a day and once a week). For me, it's because in person, in a group, it's hard for me to get a word in edgewise if I can even figure out what to say. With fb, I'll seriously think about my status update for several minutes or even several hours. Fb fits my quiet, slow-paced personality because I'm not lost in the crowd and have the time to make it come out right, usually.

So, based on what I've said, would you find me annoying if I was your facebook friend?

liz
01-12-2011, 10:30 AM
So, based on what I've said, would you find me annoying if I was your facebook friend?

No, I wouldn't. When I posted earlier, it was the people who did the above- but were extreme about. As in, multiple, multiple posts of the same thing over and over again, day after day. Luckily, I only have a few friends who are like that. Most people I know don't go to that extreme. MoJo, I love to hear the type of updates you post. They are more thought out and are therefore more meaningful.

Carrots
01-12-2011, 10:39 AM

I hide anyone who posts this stuff.

I also have a friend (who I hid) who posts at least 3x a day about all the laundry she did, both kids napping at the same time, should she go to the gym, a chicken is in the oven, her hubby is home at last!
Shush it!

MoJo
01-12-2011, 10:54 AM
No, I wouldn't. When I posted earlier, it was the people who did the above- but were extreme about. As in, multiple, multiple posts of the same thing over and over again, day after day. Luckily, I only have a few friends who are like that. Most people I know don't go to that extreme. MoJo, I love to hear the type of updates you post. They are more thought out and are therefore more meaningful.

Thanks, Liz!

SnuggleBuggles
01-12-2011, 11:11 AM
1) Pictures of kids. . . they get more positive comments than anything else I post, including from my childless friends. I limit them to a dozen or fewer at a time, probably only once every month or two, and always carefully selected. I don't usually include captions, because at this stage most of them seem self-explanatory. (ie, here's a cute picture of my kids in the snow, or unwrapping presents, or baking cookies, or sleeping, or just smiling. . . but I'd never say that!)

I'd love a story that went with the pictures though. Like, "Jill loved playing in the snow" or "Jill loved the snow for about 2 seconds and then got cold and wanted to go inside!". I don't know, I just think those are far more fun. :)

Beth

KpbS
01-12-2011, 11:47 AM
I really could do without the "just got home from Walmart" updates. Wheeee!!! Exciting!!!

Lolabee
01-12-2011, 11:52 AM

But if I see one more status update of hers that emotes on how blissful it is to parent her perfect baby I may finally go ahead and block her once and for all.

Aaaand with this morning's post, cousin in law is officially getting herself blocked:

loves my sweet little morning smiles, favorite part of my day :)

Now if you'll excuse me while I go rinse my mouth out.

lizzywednesday
01-12-2011, 12:16 PM
I can't stand running commentary on whatever sporting event is on TV at the moment. I have a friend who posts no less than 20 times during a football game, etc. If I was interested, I'd be watching the game.

This is actually what Twitter is perfect for ... my DH will post running commentary on all kinds of things on Twitter, but only a few things on FB.

Of course, he also has a Twitter account (and TBD podcast) dedicated to sports talk, so that's probably an exception.

belovedgandp
01-12-2011, 01:04 PM
FB is about my attention span. I've let e-mails and phone calls sit for weeks trying to find the time to really return the message, but I get a little bit of connection in my crazy life.

Now, sadly, I now have had three FB (and yes real life) friends pass away. The "conversations" people continue to have with the dead on their wall weird me out.